B-Roc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nahant, MA
Style: Kite landboarding and skiing
Gear: Gin, JOJO, Mac Para, Ozone, Flexifoil, Ground Industries, MBS
Brand Affiliation: None

How travel with wingfoil?

Postby B-Roc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm

I'm a land kiter but as summer approaches the allure of getting a kite wing and foilboard is pulling at me and so I have to ask... when considering travel to and from the beaches with the board, does the mast come off the board easily or do most people leave it attached at all times? What are best practices when it comes to that type of thing as I don't think I could fit an assembled board in my car. Do you use roof racks or break the board down or?

Newby question I know, but I don't want to drop a couple grand only to find out I either can't fit it in my car or shouldn't take it apart all the time. Thanks

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: How travel with wingfoil?

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:04 pm

I try to leave it assembled, but I only recently figured out how to squeeze something of that size into my ride. Until then I was leaving the foil assembled and removing it from my board at the mast attachment. It was a bit of a hassle to assemble/disassemble, but not more than 5-7 mins each time. More than anything its just more pieces to remember to bring and not get lost (don't leave the assembly screws or allen wrenches at home!).

If you have room in an SUV or truck and can leave it assembled, thats easiest. If not, just deal with whatever limitations your vehicle imposes - its not that big of a deal. Probably not a great idea to put a fully assembled board/foil onto the roof though.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
B-Roc (Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:13 pm

What you will find is that probably the front wing is the biggest, most inconvenient aspect. My car (VW Atlas) has a huge back compartment (surfboard , twintip, fully assembled kitewingfoil board with 101cm mast, 4 kites, wing, 5'10" 105L wingboard w 82cm mast in there at all times) but i found that the 110cm span of the Moses 1100 front wing is the constraint. I can fit everything in there no problem but I have to disassemble the fuselage from the mast. 2 screws, < 5 minutes, and way easier than mounting and unmounting the mast.
These users thanked the author phlow for the post:
B-Roc (Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

wingfoilwithfriends
Rare Poster
Weight: 90
Favorite Beaches: Brazil, Cape Town, Denmark, Germany
Style: strapless wingfoiling
Gear: Quatro, Slingshot, Duotone, Fanatic, Ride Engine, Xcel, Takuma. Interested in Ensis, Armstrong, Ozone, SABFOIL.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wingfoilwithfriends » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 pm

I have to disassemble the mast from the board and the fuse from the mast. :-(
Positive side is I can rinse the screws with freshwater and put new grease on the screws to prevent corrosion...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:08 pm

I do a full assembly every session. It's easy to do if you're organised and have had a bit of practice. More importantly, the gear fits neatly in my car without laying down seats or taking up the whole car with junk. At home everything slots into the rack in the garage.

I get out kite or wing foiling almost every day. The assembly time is quite relaxing. It's nice at the end of a session to pull things apart, wipe them down, slide them into protective bags and into the car, while watching the sun go down. At home the rack above the car is set up almost like an armoury. I can choose the tools for the day, slide them into the car and drive out.
Last edited by OzBungy on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment
Been thanked: 0

Postby JSom » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:58 pm

B-Roc wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm
I'm a land kiter but as summer approaches the allure of getting a kite wing and foilboard is pulling at me and so I have to ask... when considering travel to and from the beaches with the board, does the mast come off the board easily or do most people leave it attached at all times? What are best practices when it comes to that type of thing as I don't think I could fit an assembled board in my car. Do you use roof racks or break the board down or?

Newby question I know, but I don't want to drop a couple grand only to find out I either can't fit it in my car or shouldn't take it apart all the time. Thanks
I find it most convenient to carry the board on the roof rack. But this is optional. Someone is more convenient to disassemble.

Return to “Wingsurfing”