riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: If you kite and wing which to do when?

Postby riddim1 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:17 pm

I’m an avid learner for all things foil and Wingfoil but have yet to take the plunge with getting my own gear. Still exclusively Kitefoil or kitesurfing. The good Wingfoilers at my local really start enjoying themselves from 18kts+. Our local is in a bay where we only get descent wind swell above 20kts onshore. I get the advantages of wingfoil in offshore conditions, but in these conditions for me, there is no wind swell. Another wingfoil drawback for me is the size of the board. Even the good guys are piloting boats. The kite loop is such a great tool for kite foiling, allowing a minimal volume board to be ridden in the lightest of winds. For me, this increases the connection between rider and foil. I think the guys who have the most fun are those that mix up their tools for the conditions. I really feel for the riders that struggle on the surface winging in 12-14kts. Although I haven’t met the threshold to buy my own gear yet, I am hopeful that in the next few years the tech really advances in kite efficiency & material and foil design to increase the wingfoil usability envelope. It’s exciting times for wind sports in any case :D
These users thanked the author riddim1 for the post (total 2):
airsail (Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:13 pm) • bigtone667 (Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:55 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:07 pm

This forum is very biased, as I think most or all here are also kitefoilers.

Not so in other forums.

We are biased, as being kitefoilers we dont have the "wingfoil syndrom" with a tad too little wind, where nothing as in NOTHING is happening now...

I get more and more tired of this, the more I foil.

On these days it is a pleasure to take the kitefoil, and everything works and is easy, lighter and more lively and you can foil even in the lulls, as opposed to wingfoil.

BUT, when the wind is there, it is simply awesome to wingfoil, but you need sufficient wind, and not too much either, for fun in carving and handling.

I am still in a twilight zone, whether wingfoil is more fun, or simply the pleasure of new challenges?

Or maybe two different things, that can coexist for most of us :rollgrin:

:thumb: Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
airsail (Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:14 pm

My foiling whether kite or wing revolves around high wind +15 knots wind swell riding.
Wind swell is a weird beast, not peeling in one direction but popping up left and right as you ride the swell. Multiple cutbacks or direction changes are required whilst riding almost directly downwind at speed.

Now when kitefoiling it’s no problem, just swing the strutless or FS Peak back and forth as you chase the swell peak. On a wing you must pass the wing in front of you as you change directions, often physically holding it up as when travelling at 15+ knots in 15 knots of wind as there is no wind to hold it up.

So although I’ve reached a high level of proficiency on the wing this could be a deal breaker. I understand on a lovely cross shore breeze, with a peeling wave, winging would be brilliant, but it’s not conditions we get.

Anyone else found this limitation or a fix? It would be great to have the wing flag out behind you, but downwind swell riding doesn’t allow for this for except for limited times when your actually pointed across the wind.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:36 am

I think the kite foilers see the wing as a way to foil freely while flagging out the wing as you ride a wave . I think kite foilers should try a 4m FS peak first in 14-18 kts in some swell .👀

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am

airsail wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:14 pm
My foiling whether kite or wing revolves around high wind +15 knots wind swell riding.
Wind swell is a weird beast, not peeling in one direction but popping up left and right as you ride the swell. Multiple cutbacks or direction changes are required whilst riding almost directly downwind at speed.

Now when kitefoiling it’s no problem, just swing the strutless or FS Peak back and forth as you chase the swell peak. On a wing you must pass the wing in front of you as you change directions, often physically holding it up as when travelling at 15+ knots in 15 knots of wind as there is no wind to hold it up.

So although I’ve reached a high level of proficiency on the wing this could be a deal breaker. I understand on a lovely cross shore breeze, with a peeling wave, winging would be brilliant, but it’s not conditions we get.

Anyone else found this limitation or a fix? It would be great to have the wing flag out behind you, but downwind swell riding doesn’t allow for this for except for limited times when your actually pointed across the wind.
One of things you can do that helps is to not hold the front grab handle but rather your first handle on the wing or the boom. Unweights the rear end a little.

A few of us who have Slicks on the light wind days will simple hold wing up mid boom. Works a treat.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:06 pm

winging for me has become quite the frustrating beast. every time i go out i feel i'm missing a good day of kite foiling. when it's blowing 15-20 mph. i'm ok winging at 20, but miserable at 15. if i were kite foiling, i'd be fine at both. so much of winging reminds me of why i quit windsurfing. sure it was fun in 25+, but given that almost never happens around here, i feel winging is a step back. and like many have said, kite foiling with a Peak (or my 6M UNO trainer kite) feels like more freedom than lugging around a 6.5M wing. Right now, i'd say winging only makes sense if there is no good kite launch available.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
airsail (Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Winging was fun to learn but I’m done. Selling gear and back to kitefoil only. Local conditions favor kiting for me. A friend of mine went other way, 100% winging with quiver of foils and wings to match conditions and seems to be working out great for him. Everyone’s different.

One thing to mention. I think I’m more aware of every small movement and positioning on kitefoil now and am better for it after having a learner’s brain for a while on wingfoil. Learning new things is very good for your brain.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post (total 2):
airsail (Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:54 pm) • Peter_Frank (Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 am

Jyoder wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Winging was fun to learn but I’m done. ...
That's interesting. How much wing foiling did you do? I've got about 150 hours and feel I've barely scratched the surface. Waves and wind chop are where it's at. I'm doing ok with small-moderate sized swells. Still getting clobbered on bigger waves. The few times I've survived a drop with a big carving turn my heart has been in my mouth. :o

Absolutely if I had to choose one sport then it would be no contest. Kite foiling wins by a long way.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:11 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 am
Jyoder wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Winging was fun to learn but I’m done. ...
That's interesting. How much wing foiling did you do? I've got about 150 hours and feel I've barely scratched the surface. Waves and wind chop are where it's at. I'm doing ok with small-moderate sized swells. Still getting clobbered on bigger waves. The few times I've survived a drop with a big carving turn my heart has been in my mouth. :o

Absolutely if I had to choose one sport then it would be no contest. Kite foiling wins by a long way.
True, I only learned the basics, but I can gybe with foot switch 100% and ride and carve the wind swell enough to get some unpowered runs. It’s fun and rewarding, and I think if I put enough time into it I’d get dialed and it’d be great. But kitefoil is already great, and I’d rather keep exploring that with my time right now and become an expert in something I’ve already trained well than be only sort of good at two things.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:22 am

jkrug wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:06 pm
winging for me has become quite the frustrating beast. every time i go out i feel i'm missing a good day of kite foiling. when it's blowing 15-20 mph. i'm ok winging at 20, but miserable at 15. if i were kite foiling, i'd be fine at both. so much of winging reminds me of why i quit windsurfing. sure it was fun in 25+, but given that almost never happens around here, i feel winging is a step back. and like many have said, kite foiling with a Peak (or my 6M UNO trainer kite) feels like more freedom than lugging around a 6.5M wing. Right now, i'd say winging only makes sense if there is no good kite launch available.
That sounds absolutely right for me. For me these are the reasons to wingfoil rather than kitefoil. But in most cases I think kitefoil is more fun for me.
1. There isn't a suitable kite launch space at your spot.
2. The wind is offshore, and potentially safer to wing due to large board enabling an easier paddle back to the beach I required.
3. You don't already kitesurf so winging is more accessible.
4. You have epic wave conditions without a big beach break (e.g. reef or point break) enabling to wave ride and flag the wing, but without making it difficult to get past the breaking waves.
5. You prefer the safety and the relative slower speed of wingfoiling.

Return to “Wingsurfing”