Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If you kite and wing which to do when?

Forum for wing surfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: If you kite and wing which to do when?

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 pm

You question made me wonder if it would be possible to develop a wind that could also be used as a kite…

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:15 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 pm
You question made me wonder if it would be possible to develop a wind that could also be used as a kite…

It is - there has been one shown somewhere, which could be used as either a kite or a wing.

Can not remember its name, and dont know what to search for - anyone that remembers?

8) Peter

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 am

I have seen this video a while back:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yMCsCUemQAc
These users thanked the author jaros for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:50 am

Yes, thanks, that was the one I was thinking about, Vantage Batwing 🦇

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:29 am

I have a chronic back problem which rarely affects me. Unfortunately, when it does I can barely walk.

Fortunately I can still kite foil so that is what I am doing at the moment. We're having a windy week, which coincided with my latest back event so it's good to get out for a bit of afternoon fun. Munch a few paracetamol and off we go.

It's also winter and the water's a little chilly, so I can do dry sessions with only a little dampness at the start and end. My wonderful new highly sealed 6mm suit is toasty warm on the coldest of days.

To add to the pleasure, our winds are gusty northerlies going from the low teens to high 20's. I can easily ride through all that with a 7mm lei surf kite. The wing foilers can have fun during the gusts. Not so much fun during the lulls.

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:52 pm

I go winging until my underarm muscles fail, which takes at the moment less then an hour.
Then I kite.....:-))

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:25 pm

I didn't read all (or any) of the other responses to your question, but I'll give my answer. I wing when it is windy, or super stormy or weird winds, and I kite foil when it is light (light being 12-13 and below, down to about 5-6). I can wing when it is light and used to when I was learning, but now it is boring and too much work. I had the fone 6m CWC wing, which had epic low end. but compared to flying a peak4 foil kite in light winds, I'm too lazy to even pump up the wing.

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm

I have never kited,and i am totally into wingfoiling but....
There are only two situations that make me want to learn to kite:

-Very low wind: a friend of mine glides around the smooth water with a tiny kitefoil board and a Peak4 kite.Low wind as in almost nothing,it looks like a magic trick.I could dig that.

-Chaotic onshore beachbreak conditions,with short period sets pouring foam roller after foam roller into the beach.No peak,no channel,just moving water everywhere.
The only craft that make those conditions look fun and playful are TT's and surfboard kites IMHO.

I am not sure that i have the time to keep skills sharp on both, plus extra gear...dunno.
But it is tempting :)
These users thanked the author Dontsink for the post:
airsail (Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:55 pm)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 am

I am currently musing on getting a Peak for kite foiling on the wing foiling board. The attraction being the Peak will float by itself in the air while climbing on and getting going.

I have kite foiled on a 9' SUP foil with a 12m lei kite and it's doable but the kite has to be kept moving during the climb on and it's quite difficult to coordinate. It does eliminate the need to water start but the kite is much more likely to crash during all the stuffing around.

I thought I would be using the wing more in rain and yuck conditions because everything ends up wet anyway. I'm finding dealing with the big board a bit of a nuisance in the rain and wind. I need to have the car open or use the roof racks. Doors open means rain gets inside the car and roof racks require a little organisation to make sure the board doesn't blow away before it's secured.

I had this vision of me sitting out storms and squalls sitting on the wing board with the wing safely in my hands. To an extent that works. I was a bit disappointed with the handling of the 2.8m wing I bought and sold it. My other wings have nicer handling but even then the noise of the wing fluttering next to my head is unpleasant. A 4m kite at the end of 25m lines gets the noise away from me and the kite seems to manage itself perfectly well in extreme winds.

I have packed up kite foiling gear during storms and it's sort of fun. I keep the wetsuit on and open the rear hatch of the car just enough to duck under it. I can stand under the hatch and be completely protected from the weather. The kite foil board is 120cm so it's easy to wipe it dry and put it in the bag in the confined space. Our local spot has a line of bushes and in storm weather we can park in the shelter of the bushes and the rain and sea spray blows straight over the top. The sheltered space is not really suitable for dismantling a big wing board but it's fine for a 120cm kite foil board.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Tony (Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:54 pm)

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:02 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 am
I am currently musing on getting a Peak for kite foiling on the wing foiling board. The attraction being the Peak will float by itself in the air while climbing on and getting going.

I have kite foiled on a 9' SUP foil with a 12m lei kite and it's doable but the kite has to be kept moving during the climb on and it's quite difficult to coordinate. It does eliminate the need to water start but the kite is much more likely to crash during all the stuffing around.

I thought I would be using the wing more in rain and yuck conditions because everything ends up wet anyway. I'm finding dealing with the big board a bit of a nuisance in the rain and wind. I need to have the car open or use the roof racks. Doors open means rain gets inside the car and roof racks require a little organisation to make sure the board doesn't blow away before it's secured.

I had this vision of me sitting out storms and squalls sitting on the wing board with the wing safely in my hands. To an extent that works. I was a bit disappointed with the handling of the 2.8m wing I bought and sold it. My other wings have nicer handling but even then the noise of the wing fluttering next to my head is unpleasant. A 4m kite at the end of 25m lines gets the noise away from me and the kite seems to manage itself perfectly well in extreme winds.

I have packed up kite foiling gear during storms and it's sort of fun. I keep the wetsuit on and open the rear hatch of the car just enough to duck under it. I can stand under the hatch and be completely protected from the weather. The kite foil board is 120cm so it's easy to wipe it dry and put it in the bag in the confined space. Our local spot has a line of bushes and in storm weather we can park in the shelter of the bushes and the rain and sea spray blows straight over the top. The sheltered space is not really suitable for dismantling a big wing board but it's fine for a 120cm kite foil board.
So a Peak4 or Concept Firefly would be useable with a 40l/5.0 surffoil prone board and a 980cm2 foil?.
Would this be a reasonable setup for a novice (after a good kite course) or too demanding/dangerous?.

Return to “Wingsurfing”