Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Belt leashes

Postby airsail » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:01 pm
What About wing leash direct to board?

I know some have been using it, but never heard any feedback.

Sounds great to get rid of one leash :thumb:

8) Peter
Peter, interesting idea, I immediately discounted it but if some have had success maybe it’s an option. I guess the wing leash would have to attach towards the front of the board but I wonder if it will tangle around you during a gybe, more info needed.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:01 am
fluidity wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:26 am
I got an aliexpress tactical belt. But although it's very rugged, I rent back to the ankle leash. May change again in the future.
Isn't that a normal belt without attachment points?
Or is it so rugged that you use your velcro leashes back and front, and they don't slide?
But it cost almost nothing, so one could make holes for attachments, true :D
8) Peter
There is a triangular metal attachment point but the webbing is very rugged so attach any way you like.

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Re: Belt leashes + board to wing leash

Postby Dontsink » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Beware of those tactical clip in belts.
They are not marine proof,so eventually they will fail.
And even new a user in another forum posted that his released on its own for no apparent reason.Chinese quality control .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Mr Harris wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:22 am
Hey Peter,

The North belt has 2 identical attachment points that you can position wherever you like on the belt. Essentially webbing loops which don't slide when in use, as the outer surface of the belt is slightly grippy and stops them moving when pulled at an angle.

Hope that helps:)

Thanks, ordered it in Holland and came today, seems fine, shortened the excess belt and will see how it works.

I still find the board - wing leash idea interesting, but apparently noone in this forum has tried.

Might be as boards don't have any connection point at the front part?

8) Peter

foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:59 pm

So i had a day last season where i forgot one of my leashes and tried the Wing <-> Board. It really sucked, I wouldn't recommend it, as it makes it harder to keep you wing away from your board.

In terms of alternative approaches, lately I've been experimenting more with just ditching the board leash. It's not good for challenging offshore conditions, or solo epics, but for just tooling around practicing tacks and gybes near shore its great.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 pm

Oh, so you mean if the board rolls over in a wave so foil is up, it is risky?

Think I have to try just to see the ups and downs, almost impossible to imagine how it works.

Problem ditching the board leash is, the board leash is not really a nuisance, but the wing leash is aaaaargh :x

8) Peter

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Re: Belt leashes + board to wing leashTr

Postby Dave K » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:44 pm

After mostly using a common wrist leash I’ve started using a wing-to-waist leash for when I want to practice things like behind-the-back-tacks. Figured I would try out Ozone’s new modular leash setup with a bungee leash that can either attach to a waist belt or a wrist cuff. I modified it slightly by putting a small marine grade “baby snap” from West Marine at the end of the leash. This way I could easily/quickly switch the wing leash between my waist belt and wrist cuff while out on the water. It actually works better than expected despite being a bit pricey when you add up the components
D7478512-3782-4D45-BBAB-C2EC9A4027A3.jpeg

Kinda prefer a wrist leash if I’m not flinging the wing behind my back, but for “behind-the-backs” you have no other choice as far as I know. This video clip was just with a crude homemade wing-to-waist leash setup. It’s nice to have the leash long enough and ‘pre-spun” around my back so that when I do the wing pass behind the back, the leash untwists to a normal position. However it requires a longer leash length than you might prefer for a more common wrist cuff connection. My Ozone setup is much cleaner. Just trying to tweak the ideal bungee length for both wrist and waist connection.

Return to “Wingsurfing”