Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Fanatic Sky Air Inflatable Board Review

Postby nixmatters » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:34 am

fluidity wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:56 am
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:59 pm
I don’t disagree fluidity. I am impressed how far they’ve come though.
Definitely further to go.
I think, hard under shell, dual level top inflation. A bit like some of the inflateable boats. Needs a low but rigid area for foot work dropstitched above deck and a lower pressure dropstitch tube wrapped around sides and front.
Are you suggesting a double chamber (like the SUPs) with a higher pressure (20+psi) denser dropstitch small chamber where the tracks plate is mounted and the second chamber made of cheaper low density dropstitch and pumped upto 15psi? To me it makes a lot of sense as it will also reduce the weight of the board - especially the front half - and reduce swing momentum (or whatever it is called) when pumping and carving

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:40 am

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:34 am
fluidity wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:56 am
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:59 pm
I don’t disagree fluidity. I am impressed how far they’ve come though.
Definitely further to go.
I think, hard under shell, dual level top inflation. A bit like some of the inflateable boats. Needs a low but rigid area for foot work dropstitched above deck and a lower pressure dropstitch tube wrapped around sides and front.
Are you suggesting a double chamber (like the SUPs) with a higher pressure (20+psi) denser dropstitch small chamber where the tracks plate is mounted and the second chamber made of cheaper low density dropstitch and pumped upto 15psi? To me it makes a lot of sense as it will also reduce the weight of the board - especially the front half - and reduce swing momentum (or whatever it is called) when pumping and carving
Yes. The outer chamber doesn't need the same pressure, it's just there for bouyancy(and is thicker, higher) like an inflateable rubber boat- like the surf club rescue boats. So long as there is space in the middle to move feet enough to control the foil, it's the logical progression.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Okkiteboarder » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:40 pm

I like it. Seems like a solid suggestion.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:05 pm

To wrap up the concept - one size inner chamber for optimizing manufacturing efficiency and cost, multiple sizes and shapes of the outer chamber to suit different experience level and riding style.

A step further - a modular 'lego' concept - buy the 2 chambers separately and plug&play. Would also allow lower inventories for different foil mount systems and plates, and affordable upgrade with progression.

And of course, an added level of safety should a seam leak.

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:28 pm

That never worked.
Too many single parts make it too expensive. Qantities are still and will be too low. Same with the Split TTs. Each half ended up nearly as expensive as a single Board.
If would not care about size then I would get a hard board. But I do and I want it as light and small packable as possible with goog stiffness (since I always be average good is more than I need)

Got in Feb an Indiana and I think its still too bulky and heavy. Especially getting around with a Coffin of 75cm width is a pain.
From what I know, Naish seems technically the best.
5.5 kg, according to Gleiten TV still super stiff and packed up size wise how to should be.
see https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... n1bc72&/1/
from 3:30 on...

The just seemed to have messed up the scoop rocker line by putting the taper of the Plate upwards and therefore forcing the board into a lengthwise suckung concave.
Pitty. maybe next release, then also with Straps and anti coanda tail ledge (ACTL ;-))

Return to “Wingsurfing”