Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ensis wing quality issues? handles detached

Forum for wing surfers
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: Ensis wing quality issues? handles detached

Postby fluidity » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:51 am

Same.. Broke off the front of my front handle out of the stitching to the boom. NZ supplier got it repaired promptly but the repairer pinched the boom bladder in the valve hole. Easy enough fix for me but annoying.
Great power in the wing but when the wind gets up a bit it's a real handful, tiring to still control. I think some other wings likely have better depower.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: ENSIS wing quality issues, handles detached

Postby pitbulldoug » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:35 am

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:44 pm
Everyone I know who has Ensis V2s has ripped the handles off at least one of theirs.

--
Gunnar
Yes same with my 5.2 V2 the very front handle goes into the webbing reinforcement around strut not far enough and only hits the 1st row of stitching instead of hitting 2nd row as well eventually fails.you have to pull center strut bladder and restitch,Ensis took care of it been using it many many amount of hours since all good! Just hoping my 4.5 and 3.5 dont have that happen both of which have been out heavy winds many times.They are excellent wings great performance aside from this known issue,hope the score V3 this will be addressed.using a harness makes no difference with this issue as I use harness and still blew out!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 am

I saw a repair job on Facebook. Not 100% sure that this is a Ensis wing, but it could well be... Similar problem anyway, stitching of the handle webbing overshooting the inner insignia, and weakening the Dacron at that particular spot.

(there's a whole series of related photos once the FB link is opened)
Last edited by bragnouff on Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:56 am

Exactly where that guys thumb is the photo above, my 5.2m has an extra material layer under there. I can feel it when rubbing my thumb in that area. My 5.2m is 9 months old, no issues with hundreds of hours on it because I’m retired and ride many times a week.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 am

I edited my post to embed another photo, in case you didn't open the link. On that one, it shows that it's only by about a cm or two that the handle stitching is outside of the insignia, so this could very well be a manufacturing issue affecting some wings, but not others within a same production line, and why this kind of stuff can slip through quality control, until you add another step on the checklist to ensure that the inner reinforcements are exactly where intended prior to stitching.
On the other pics, the guy doing the repair definitely beefed it up, taking no chance for it to come apart again!

happywizz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen (The Netherlands)
Style: Foil wave, foil race
Gear: Moses, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby happywizz » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 am

Pictures of mine detached handle

Update from Ensis
They offered to replace the 4.5, but that will take 2 to 3 weeks as they are not in stock. Or get the 4.5 repaired and the (not broken yet) 5.2 preventive reinforced.
I have chosen for the latter as that will take less time (9 days) and I don't have to be afraid (hopefully) the 5.2 will break in the future.

In summary

The +
Not blaming the victim (you shouldn't use this Wing over 5 knots)
Honest and quick response from Ensis. Within a few hours they mailed back (as the distributor did.)
My local shop was very apologetic (they were just getting aware of this problem) and offered a replacement Wing during the repair.

The -
They are still sold and how do you check if it is a faulty one? Will the reseller warn the potential buyers? (I'm skeptical.)
The resell value is less to zero, so an enormous devaluation in less then 3 weeks.
Last edited by happywizz on Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:57 pm

happywizz wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 am
Pictures of mine detached handle

Update from Ensis
They offered to replace the 4.5, but that will take 2 to 3 weeks as they are not in stock. Or get the 4.5 repaired and the (not broken yet) 5.2 preventive reinforced.
I have chosen for the latter as that will take less time (9 days) and I don't have to be afraid (hopefully) the 5.2 will break in the future.

In summary

The +
Not blaming the victim (you shouldn't use this Wing over 5 knots)
Honest and quick response (within a few hours) from Ensis. Within a few hours they mailed back (as the distributor did.)
My local shop was very apologetic (they were just getting aware of this problem) and offered a replacement Wing during the repair.

The -
They are still sold and how do you check if it is a faulty one? Will the reseller warn the potential buyers? (I'm skeptical.)
The resell value is less to zero, so an enormous devaluation in less then 3 weeks.
That’s exactly where my 5.2 handle blew out,you can see the 2 rows of zig zag. Diagonal stitching there on reinforcing black webbing the handle should go under and stich and glued by both rows of stitching there in my case just was stitched with 1 row not both,it was run a bit short and not stitched by 2nd row pretty sure the same to yours,however this is a fairly easy fix by a kite repair pro then will be good indefinitely as my 5.2 has many many hours on it since repair! Ensis is taking care of the situation and don’t see how your value is gone to 0,no way doubt that!these are great wings hands down besides this issue that your getting corrected on both wings!I like my Ensis wings so much that I’m thinking of getting the new score V3 however sure hope Ensis has dealt and corrected this prevalent occurring issue.My 4.5 and 3.5 are still going strong so knock on wood they were assembled in factory after this issue showed up and they are revised batch corrected sewn properly.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:55 am

I think people, that it's something to keep in mind with wings with long handles. If the handle isn't rigid then it's great for rolling the kite up but it's going to subject the end attachments to more stress. First couple of years, early times in wing design. Repair jobs need industry experience and understanding of the loadings as well as the cosmetic look. Even the type of stitch pattern is important, as is not weakening the material by swiss-cheesing it with too many holes.

Return to “Wingsurfing”