Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thinking of a kit, but don't know which size to pick.

Forum for wing surfers
Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50
Brand Affiliation: None

Thinking of a kit, but don't know which size to pick.

Postby Kristan » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:46 pm

I'm thinking of getting into wingfoiling, because our only kiteable lake is too far away and it takes hours to get there on the weekends. Majority of closer lakes are not suited for kiting because shorelines are covered with trees. My goal is to go wingfoiling in light wind conditions, starting from 8-10 knots, since that is the majority of our winds. My current weight is 96kg (212 pounds). I had no experience with wings, nor foils.

For wing I'm currently looking at Flysurfer Mojo 6.2m. I need a board that would maintain my weight, yet not that hard to pump, so I'm looking at F-One Rocket AIR board like 6'6 (140 liters) and 7'2 (190 liters). I have two options on the foil of F-One Gravity 1800 or 2200 and I need to know which would suit better, since I'd like to know if there would be possibility to foil kite on such setup without much trouble.

So which size should I pick? And please do not recommend anything outside that list, since it simply might not be in my kite stores or have a reasonable price tag.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Thinking of a kit, but don't know which size to pick.

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Uuuh, I can not help you...

But say for sure, that even if you go 7 or 8 or 9 m2, there is no chance you can ride in 8-10 knots @96 kg IMO, no matter which board and wingfoil.

If really good you need 12 knots before anything is happening, unless you are medium weight and a good rider, then you might be able to start in 11 knots.

Wingsurfing is not a lightwind sport - so maybe you would be better off with driftlaunching and kitefoiling?

8) Peter

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:59 pm

+1 sadly no chance - for me @ 90kgs using a 2400 wing & 6m board, l need 15 to 20 knots & 15knots is difficult for a beginner to get foiling.

But lose 20kgs &/or become Kai Lenny & you’ll be fine!

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:01 am

Darn. Guess the money goes into powered paragliding then. Thanks for the answers.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:17 am

Powerful 6m Ensis wing, 168 litre rocket air and a 2650 sq cm wing I made myself and I can get my 105kg+ up when the wave tips are just curling over on themselves, thats with some experience pumping wing and foil. Try and find a 3000 sq cm wing and drop 5kg and you'll have a good chance. Beware though, many of the Ensis front of front handles pull out of the stitching. Mine did and I got it repaired. Ozone Wasp is another option, they are pretty powerful. Ask around on what's a super powerful 6m wing sold in your area, big camber makes a bit difference to low down starting grunt. I wouldn't go any higher than 6m on the wing. On the foil you could always make yourself one, have a look in the gearbuilder's thread for ideas. connection between mast and front foil is critical, must be super strong and not flexible.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:49 pm

The Takuma 6m WRIII came highly recommended as the ultimate light wind wing & is great 👍🏻

Return to “Wingsurfing”