Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Forum for wing surfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Postby beebad » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:56 am

I am very new to wing foiling but I recognize all too well the potential I see for shoulder injury having been a white water kayaker.

You were cautioned not to flex your elbow above your shoulder like when doing eskimo rolls or bracing…perfect recipe for injury.

I felt the familiar strain positioning the kite in the wind and realized a harness might be indicated for those who need to guard their delicate shoulders.

Anyone here have these concerns?
These users thanked the author beebad for the post:
consumer (Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Postby consumer » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:32 pm

anecdotally, I am seeing many people with pre-existing shoulder issues complain that winging exacerbates their pain. I have had a few stress tests of my previous repair while winging, too, but so far doing great.

You are probably right - winging puts more load on our arms than kiting ever did, and full arm extension makes you more vulnerable to injury. I don't know how it compares to windsurfing, which is also a sport where you are not harnessed some of the time.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:30 pm

consumer wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:32 pm
winging puts more load on our arms than kiting ever did, and full arm extension makes you more vulnerable to injury.
For sure.
Windsurfing is definitely arm intensive but the rig is stabilized by its attachment at the mast foot, so the range it moves is limited.

Wings are free to move in a much wider range.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 am

Hmmm, I don't know.

As when winging your arms are usually perpendicular to your body, not much pull, and your arms bent a bit or a lot.

Feels very "non damaging' and you don't have any odd pull directions, because the wing is free and sits in a non strained position.

8) Peter

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:27 am

What do I know? I’ve never even held one. There are a few around here now. One pretty dedicated guy. Looks like very soft power. He’s progressing well and I’m stoked for him, but there is no question he envies the lines I get to ride.

Kites suit foils

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 am

I suggest you ask your doctor. I'm an ex-competitive swimmer and am banned from all sorts of shoulder motions. Whenever I ignore the advice (always due to great conditions...), I pay a big price. They may not know the sport, but if you demonstrate the motion and forces, they will understand.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:54 am

It's highly likely there will be injuries, especially for all us old farts doing it. Old people aren't all that smart and will tend to try and muscle things out even though they've got no muscles.

Thing is, if it's hard you're doing it wrong. You don't need or want a lot of power. It's not like you're Tarzan hanging by your muscular arms doing continual one arm pull ups. It's more of a slow, flow thing.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:08 am

Had an epic wing sesh about 5-6 months ago now. Really over used my arms and a week later I developed golfers AND tennis elbow. I'm still recovering. Definitely should have used a harness but the whole idea behind it was to simplify.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:22 am

I am not prone to shoulder issues generally, but I've experienced no strain winging yet. Of the 20 or so people I know that have taken it up, I can't recall anyone mentioning shoulder injuries yet.

My long term tennis elbow, developed from kiting higher bar pressure kites and from SUP paddling, does flare up when I over-do it.

When seriously over powered with a grunty 6m wing, I have at times felt like it was going to rip out my lat muscle on my back sheeting-in arm. The harness helps mucho with that.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:25 am

:jump:

Return to “Wingsurfing”