Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Forum for wing surfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Postby Dave K » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Winging for 2 years and just about to turn 63. No issue with shoulders or arms for me, and I am certainly not a body builder type. These wings are so easy to ride with as much depower as you want. On the other hand I think fingers are definitely prone to injury when you start doing a lot of fast wing transitions where you have to let go and regrab quickly. I injured my middle finger when I missed a “regrab” during a “behind-the-back-tack”. I didn’t let go of the wing quickly enough after the miss, and it twisted quickly with my middle finger knuckle getting pulled pretty badly. They call it an avulsion.

These users thanked the author Dave K for the post (total 2):
beebad (Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:54 pm) • juandesooka (Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

caps
Medium Poster

Re: Predict a Flurry of rotator cuff and related shoulder injuries associated with wing foiling

Postby caps » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm a longtime kiter who had a chronic rotator cuff tendonitis flare-up after my first try at winging. I was trying the wing on a sup with low winds and totally tweaked my shoulder prone to rotator cuff overuse. I'm sure once you know what you're doing and in good wind it wouldn't have the same shoulder stress. But for now, I need a few months to recover. Paddling into surf too much would do the same things to that shoulder as well if overused. For me, I have a weak-ass shoulder that is susceptible to all the over head stuff. But then I have kiting!
These users thanked the author caps for the post:
beebad (Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:40 pm

i've had a complete shoulder replacement about 6 years ago but winging doesn't seem to bother it much. too much pumping is what makes me feel it. and i still suck at winging so i pump more often than i'd like to. i've learned not to pump unless i really feel the wind in the wing. when just cruising around on foil there doesn't seem to be much issue with the shoulder though.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
beebad (Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:33 pm)

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:29 pm

beebad wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:56 am
You were cautioned not to flex your elbow above your shoulder like when doing eskimo rolls or bracing…perfect recipe for injury.
Unfortunately, we never got that message back in the day. I dislocated (technically subluxed) my shoulder white water kayaking during an out of control brace. Subsequently needed a surgical repair (which has worked great and I wish I had had it done much sooner).

FWIW, I don't have any great concern about shoulder injuries when winging, for a couple of reasons:

(1) Winging does not have the comparatively long lever arm of a kayak paddle dipped into chaotic white water to have to contend with.
(2) When the wing is held overhead it is typically flagged out. This is almost by definition when held with just one hand. There is simply not the same amount of force from the wing as there potentially can be with a kayak paddle.
Last edited by pākihiroa on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author pākihiroa for the post:
beebad (Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:32 pm)

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:51 am

I am a 62 year old kite foiler 16 sessions into winging. I have had injuries to my shoulders through Judo and have recovered through proper physio. I don't use a harness winging ands really can't see starting. We should be able to avoid injuries by honouring the physical condition we are in. I don't think shoulder injuries are not inevitable.
These users thanked the author Kitetwin-1 for the post:
beebad (Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 am)

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:37 pm

I have had a fractured scapula/shoulder reconstruction with a tether, as well as a broken clavicle & tore both rotator cuffs… all healed & winging is fine, no issues at all, just gives me a nice overall low intensity workout.
These users thanked the author Robsw6 for the post:
beebad (Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 am)

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:58 pm

I tore the hell out of my left rotator cuff a couple years ago and since learned to wing. Surprisingly winging caused no issues, even after days in a row on end, possibly because it's such a static exercise.
These users thanked the author Eltreato for the post:
beebad (Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:17 am)

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:43 am

Highly recommend to put your wing leash attached to a waist belt much safer better than getting pulled by a limb in waves or high winds much better pulled by waist.found that out luckily before I tweaked my shoulder on a windy day.Surprised the wing companies still promote the wrist attachment leash,no thanks IMO

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:21 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:43 am
Highly recommend to put your wing leash attached to a waist belt much safer better than getting pulled by a limb in waves or high winds much better pulled by waist.found that out luckily before I tweaked my shoulder on a windy day.Surprised the wing companies still promote the wrist attachment leash,no thanks IMO
Agreed, for high wind days where the wing may whip violently, you don't want it attached to your wrist. I said earlier I didn't recall shoulder issues in our local crew -- but that is one I do recall now.

If attaching leash to a waist belt, just be cautious if you are also attaching board leash to that belt. If belt fails, you lose both board and wing, which in the wrong situation goes from annoying to catastrophic. So, either belt is very robust or you use different attachment points. I was initially using a cheap dollar store luggage strap with the flimsy buckle ... those things are garbage! Now using an old kite seat harness.

Return to “Wingsurfing”