Question for Wingers Who went back to Kite Foiling

Forum for wing surfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Question for Wingers Who went back to Kite Foiling

Postby NYKiter » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:32 am

Just for wingers who quit (perhaps no one here....)

Anyhow, please list your reasons for going back to kite foiling. Thanks

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Question for Wingers Who went back to Kite Foiling

Postby juandesooka » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:14 am

NYKiter wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:32 am
Just for wingers who quit (perhaps no one here....)

Anyhow, please list your reasons for going back to kite foiling. Thanks
I know one windsurfer who went back to windfoiling. No local kiter reversions yet ... though I did use my kitefoil a few times this summer on light wind days and greatly enjoyed mixing it up. Higher speed turns and floaty airs.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
NYKiter (Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jyoder » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:18 am

I quit winging because flying the kite is part of the fun. On kitefoil I can engage with the wind and water in a more dynamic way. It’s faster, more maneuverable, and more accessible due to quicker setup time. Also the kitefoil fits in my car fully assembled and I mostly fly foil kites so no pump needed. I have kite-able spots close by and no real waves so the benefits of wingfoil don’t appeal as much to me right now. Winging was fun to learn but I missed the performance of kitefoil, even after trying racy wing setup.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post (total 3):
airsail (Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:03 am) • NYKiter (Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:40 pm) • matth (Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:20 am

Didn't quit winging, in fact still mainly wing, but really enjoying mixing it up a bit, and starting to kite foil a little more these days after almost only winging last summer. Enjoying the extra speed and power and manoevrability of a kite foil and the compact gear setup. I think doing them both will make me a better foiler. Also preferring kite foiling for light wind days where there aren't any waves. But you can't beat the wing for the waves.
These users thanked the author stevez for the post (total 3):
NYKiter (Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:40 pm) • matth (Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:40 pm) • airsail (Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:21 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:10 pm

I have no idea where it is gonna end up for me...

Agree 100 with Jyoder that kitefoil is SO much faster and easier to setup and go ride, and you are never stuck if wind on the low side, like on a wingfoil.
Besides faster to get out in the water, and takes up no space in the car, compared, and no pump needed, and WAY more lively for carving.

But winging is so fun and addictive when conditions are spot on.
I avoid flat water, have no idea why so many experienced go to our flat water spot - on kitefoil or wingfoil it is the most boring thing in the world :(
But there are many beginners out, so assume it is because of the social thing about it, or the fact that the experienced can "show off" to the beginners - eventhough I would still always take the "good spot" not flat, close to.

I still do both kite4foil and wingfoil even when sufficient wind to both - hard to say why, but there are so many good things about kitefoiling (with Peak4 kites), in particular if there is even the smallest waves to play in, even anklesnappers with short fetch where you can look to the other side, but of course the same can be said for wingfoil now :naughty:

As a rough thumbrule I know I need one m2 bigger wing than kite, for sweetspot.
Of course depending slightly whether it is on my 1350 or 1600 cm2 lightwind wing.

One of the most annoying things about wingfoil, is seaweed :evil:
On a kitefoil it is easy to drop backwards and free the mast, and start again in no time.
On a wingfoil, dropping into the water, freeing the mast, and starting all over again, is a PITA :(

Even the slightest number of seagrass ruins everything when you wanna glide unpowered....

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
NYKiter (Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 am) • airsail (Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am) • bohme (Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:48 am)

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:10 pm

One of the most annoying things about wingfoil, is seaweed :evil:
On a kitefoil it is easy to drop backwards and free the mast, and start again in no time.
On a wingfoil, dropping into the water, freeing the mast, and starting all over again, is a PITA :(

Even the slightest number of seagrass ruins everything when you wanna glide unpowered....

8) Peter
Agree on the wing&seaweed issue.
Sometimes i can clear it by coming off foil and heaving-to but it does not always get rid of the mess.

A week ago i had perfect 4m wind with matching windswell and a good groundswell to spice things up.
I went in anticipating a great Upwind/Downwind session but it went bad as soon as i got on foil.
Total seaweed minefield,impossible to ride 100m without snagging something bad.
Gave up after 30mins of swearing :)

Return to “Wingsurfing”