Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

is high wind winging any good?!

Forum for wing surfers
IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: is high wind winging any good?!

Postby IWB2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:57 pm

airsail wrote: [quote=IWB2 post_id=<a href="tel:1153447">1153447</a> time=<a href="tel:1636113777">1636113777</a> user_id=21728]
Wingfoiling in "high wind" can be a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy foiling off the wind and you have the right gear setup . I would definitely add a smaller wing to your quiver to ensure you have the control needed when winging in stronger winds. I had to add the 2.3m Ozone Wasp V2 to my collection as i was experiencing many overpowered conditions on my 3m...
IWB2, how are you finding the 2.3 Wasp, I’m looking for something smaller than my 3.3 Unit. Small wing reviews are almost non existent, they seem to stick with the bigger sizes.
[/quote]

Airsail, still waiting for a day when I can test the 2.3m Ozone Wasp. Really excited to test on the next 35 plus knot day. Was very glad when I heard Ozone were coming out with the smaller size, as my 3m Ozone on some days was far to big.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsail » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks IWB2, I’m concerned how the small wings will work as when manufacturers shrink their kite sizes with little testing it doesn’t always work. All well and good having a design that works brilliant as a 5 mtr, but will it also work as a 2.5?
Just have to wait for some real world reviews of small wings.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:03 am

airsail wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:07 pm
Thanks IWB2, I’m concerned how the small wings will work as when manufacturers shrink their kite sizes with little testing it doesn’t always work. All well and good having a design that works brilliant as a 5 mtr, but will it also work as a 2.5?
Just have to wait for some real world reviews of small wings.
Airsail, I totally understand your concern, however I would be very surprised if Ozone had not done a lot of testing on this size to ensure they got the 2.3m wing dialed perfectly before releasing to the public. Their 3m Wasp V2 is amayzing and very well balanced and a very nice upgrade from the V1 which in itself is a very nice wing. I missed an opportunity recently to try the 2.3m, as I ended up going out on the 3m Wasp and was very lit in the squalls (high 30s low 40s) and only came in due to lightning in the area. My intention was to use the 2.3m when winds were 35kts plus but maybe i will give a try in the low 30kts so not to wait too long to use. Hopefully i can provide some feedback in the near future. Excited to try such a small wing.... might be tough to go back to the 6m.. lol.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:50 pm

the question should be: is low wind winging any good? and the answer is: no.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:17 pm

low wind wing foiling can be fun. Determining what low wind is very subjective... I find windsurf foiling (race gear) and kite foiling can be at little more exciting than wing foiling as one can be more loaded in the light wind ie sub 13 conditions, but saying that if there was some decent swell in light wind conditions i probably would go wing foiling.. :) It is always great to have options.!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:07 am

jkrug wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:50 pm
the question should be: is low wind winging any good? and the answer is: no.
Winging in light wind can be super fun as long as there's waves to play. Even if the wind is low enough that you need to slog outside, waiting for a set, then pump into them. As long as a good surf set up where you can get outside safely.

Short of that, if flat water, I tend agree -- other options may be more fun. :D

And yes, high wind winging is awesome.

foursquare
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:42 pm

I've been out in a storm (upper 30kts gusting to 40kts) and even on a 3m wing, it was super difficult, bucket-list type riding. But 25 kts gusting to 30 is a blast ... super fun. Maybe I just need need to a 2m to my quiver.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:13 pm

foursquare wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:42 pm
I've been out in a storm (upper 30kts gusting to 40kts) and even on a 3m wing, it was super difficult, bucket-list type riding. But 25 kts gusting to 30 is a blast ... super fun. Maybe I just need need to a 2m to my quiver.

Just to be nit-picking:

You were out in Gale winds, 8 Beaufort, and where it was a blast was in the upper end of a strong breeze (6 Beaufort).

A Storm is 10 Beaufort, and twice as much pull as in Gale winds, so no comparison.

A storm is defined as 48 to 55 knots average wind.

Unless its your grandma, then 10 knots when her hat blows away, is a "storm" :rollgrin:

8) Peter

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:14 pm

Took the dive and picked up a Duotone Slick 2.5 last week, two outings already. Me, 80kg on a 78ltr Carbonco straight tail board on the Naish HA1040 foil.

The wing needs 20knots to get going, once going it will handle lulls but it just doesn’t make enough board speed to get up in less. Maybe a young grom will do better but at 56years I’ll stick with over 20knots.

Pumping is rapid and not overly effective, better just use a bigger wing if you going to have to pump a lot. It’s twitchy, easy to oversheet, just like a tiny kite, you just need to be gentle on your back hand, not to over sheet and stalling it.

Once up and going there is little load on the arms, cruising up wind in the gusty lumpy conditions is so easy, no back winding at all. This is where these tiny wings shine, so easy to get back to your starting point to pick up another swell.

Once on a swell, well, just brilliant, it’s almost as if it not there. If travelling straight downwind it can just hang from you hand, the clew is short so doesn’t drag. If held with one hand on the boom while flagging you can give a little tweak with your wrist to power through a flat section.

Hopefully more shops start stocking the smaller sizes, this one was hard to find in Oz.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
juandesooka (Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:50 am

Good on ya Airsail. For a 2.5m, I suspect it would have be 30+ for me to consider it. And high 30s where I would consider it necessary, vs being on a 4m and spilling off wind. I hate being under powered, so I tend towards bigger wing than smaller, as being over powered is easy to deal with (relative to kiting).

Something fun I noticed in high winds, 40+, is how your body becomes part of the sail. The wind on your back is enough to push you downwind, even without swells.

Return to “Wingsurfing”