Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Recommendation for Jan-Feb Caribbean location to learn wingfoiling

Forum for wing surfers
loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Recommendation for Jan-Feb Caribbean location to learn wingfoiling

Postby loco4viento » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:39 pm

Hey everyone,

A buddy of mine who has a limited amount of windsurfing and kitesurfing experience would like to learn wingfoiling in January or February this year. He lives in the northeastern USA.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a warm windy Caribbean place where he could learn wingfoiling? Would you recommend lessons from an instructor for a day or so and then renting equipment?

I would welcome any advice from those who might have good ideas.

Thanks,

John

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Recommendation for Jan-Feb Caribbean location to learn wingfoiling

Postby juandesooka » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:02 am

there will be way more pro opinions on Carib than mine ... but after a brief visit I will be super stoked to get back to Tobago some day. Pigeon Point has windy flat lagoon and soft foil waves outside. I was there in Nov, before wind season, I got out on a big kite and then a sup session. Now, with what I know about wing foiling...drooling about those outside reefs. Brett at Radical Sports Tobago runs a rental and lesson place there, windsurf, kite, foil, but not sure if he is into winging yet. There were places to stay just outside the park. It was not too pricey, maybe in between Mexico and Maui.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
loco4viento (Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:16 am

loco4viento wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:39 pm
Hey everyone,

A buddy of mine who has a limited amount of windsurfing and kitesurfing experience would like to learn wingfoiling in January or February this year. He lives in the northeastern USA.

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a warm windy Caribbean place where he could learn wingfoiling? Would you recommend lessons from an instructor for a day or so and then renting equipment?

I would welcome any advice from those who might have good ideas.

Thanks,

John
The thing about foiling - whether wing foiling or kite foiling - is it's possible to do it almost anywhere in the Caribbean, as you don't need, or want, particularly strong wind. The only thing you really want is side - side onshore winds ... and relatively flat water helps when you're starting out. Anywhere from Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico on south works . It seems to me that the windward islands have more reliable wind in Jan/Feb, but as long as your buddy is there for a reasonable amount of time (at least 2 weeks) should be relatively sure of getting some decent wind in any area of the Caribbean.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
loco4viento (Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:10 am

Thanks guys. I’m thinking that some smooth water that’s at least 3 feet deep with a reliable decent side or side-on breeze would be great. He’s probably around 90+ kg and will need a decent bit of wind to make it work.

Return to “Wingsurfing”