Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Small boards are often tricky....

Postby joekitetime » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:37 pm

Big boards, tiny boards, super tiny boards.

Learn to ride a super tiny board - why? Because now I can ride old crappy kite foil boards that people give away and they are a lot of fun.

In fact I use the kite foils too. The market has really loosened up since so many folks went to winging from kite foiling.

But, for day to day riding in day to day conditions, after riding literally every possible size on the boards, I've narrowed down to 2 sizes - for day in and day out riding:
One is at body weight or a tad over, up to 10 liters over, and one is about 20-25 liters under. When the wind is crappy or just ok grab the bigger, and when it is good and on grab the smaller.

But not on the weekends. If the wind is cranking and it is a weekend and you have the entire day, do one session on your -25L board, but then grab the old kiteboard with a wing that you will be powered to lit on, and if you can ride a board that small (mine is 25 liter) it is just epic. But you want to match that board with more of a kite foil too - not some big wing foil.

Oh, and buy a truck or van to be able to haul all the crap!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:56 pm

After getting good with boards = my weight + 10~15L ....I really struggled with boards = my weight or -10L. The board doesn't really sink or float. Goes in and out of the water which feels very unstable. And once flying it doesn't really feel like a short board.
Then I tried the <extreme> with a board at around 38L (my weight -30L) and found it instantly easier (in solid wind/wing power) Nearly the whole board is stable under water with just the nose sticking out a little which helps getting moving. So a low volume LONG nosed 4'10 board did the trick for me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:57 pm

It seems right indeed.

Board a tad over your weight are easy, and perfect when wind drops.

Boards just around or a tad below your weight, short ones, are the most difficult.

And sinker boards when sufficient wind, are easier again :thumb:

8) Peter

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:50 am

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:37 pm
Big boards, tiny boards, super tiny boards.

Learn to ride a super tiny board - why? Because now I can ride old crappy kite foil boards that people give away and they are a lot of fun.

In fact I use the kite foils too. The market has really loosened up since so many folks went to winging from kite foiling.

But, for day to day riding in day to day conditions, after riding literally every possible size on the boards, I've narrowed down to 2 sizes - for day in and day out riding:
One is at body weight or a tad over, up to 10 liters over, and one is about 20-25 liters under. When the wind is crappy or just ok grab the bigger, and when it is good and on grab the smaller.

But not on the weekends. If the wind is cranking and it is a weekend and you have the entire day, do one session on your -25L board, but then grab the old kiteboard with a wing that you will be powered to lit on, and if you can ride a board that small (mine is 25 liter) it is just epic. But you want to match that board with more of a kite foil too - not some big wing foil.

Oh, and buy a truck or van to be able to haul all the crap!
Axis Art series are supposed to ride like a considerably bigger foil and go stupidly fast. Doing my own designing with a mould currently curing in the shed, learnt a massive amount since I started designing foils a year and a half ago and got high hopes for this one, Pretty sure I won't be wanting to ride any brand foil after I peel and trim carbon out of this mould, it's got everything going for it except for a high aspect ratio and doesn't need that either.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:11 pm

I’m 77 kg and ride a 75liter board (4’9”/24”). 63 yrs old with right knee and left shoulder that have issues. Also old back surgery so one more limitation. I ride a lot of shallow water. I do a traditional knee start but I’m usually up off my knees pretty fast, since the right knee does not like it.

Board shape very important to me. No side bevels and no rear bevel. Innegra construction made by FoilSurf Machines.
315CD730-6408-478E-924E-7CB4E78A1783.jpeg
Less tippy and planes quickly.

My kitefoil board is a 120cm Groove Skate

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:30 pm

I need advice on this topic. I'm 80kg, and I have a 90L board that I like a lot, but I want to supplement it with a semi sinker for more maneuverability and jumping. I will keep the 90L for days below 18/20kts, but I don't want this semi sinker to only work on days when its nuking (wind doesn't get beyond 25kts very often for me).

Currently deciding between a 48L board and a 60L board. Both are similar length (4'9 and 4'10").

Is the 12L difference going to make the 48L significantly more difficult to use?

I also have some interest in learning to prone foil. I recognizing that either of these boards is going to be a compromise, but would either of these boards work to learn on? Is 60L just too big for prone? I don't want to make my decision on this factor alone, but it is one of many factors at play.

Thanks for any input.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:38 am

mr_daruman wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:56 pm
After getting good with boards = my weight + 10~15L ....I really struggled with boards = my weight or -10L. The board doesn't really sink or float. Goes in and out of the water which feels very unstable. And once flying it doesn't really feel like a short board.
Then I tried the <extreme> with a board at around 38L (my weight -30L) and found it instantly easier (in solid wind/wing power) Nearly the whole board is stable under water with just the nose sticking out a little which helps getting moving. So a low volume LONG nosed 4'10 board did the trick for me.
I've suspected that but not tried it yet. If you can get the whole board easily under the water then you can dominate it's position more easily. You need bouyancy to push against to control the foil but I doubt much more, if you have the wind. Not sure if it's worth the experiment to make one- early days, I like where I've got with my foil designs though.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:18 am

StellaBlu wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:30 pm
I need advice on this topic. I'm 80kg, and I have a 90L board that I like a lot, but I want to supplement it with a semi sinker for more maneuverability and jumping. I will keep the 90L for days below 18/20kts, but I don't want this semi sinker to only work on days when its nuking (wind doesn't get beyond 25kts very often for me).

Currently deciding between a 48L board and a 60L board. Both are similar length (4'9 and 4'10").

Is the 12L difference going to make the 48L significantly more difficult to use?

I also have some interest in learning to prone foil. I recognizing that either of these boards is going to be a compromise, but would either of these boards work to learn on? Is 60L just too big for prone? I don't want to make my decision on this factor alone, but it is one of many factors at play.

Thanks for any input.
Success on a sinker board is combination of volume, shape and length. In theory you should be fine on either of those boards at your weight. If possible, try them.

I know I cannot get going on a 45L 4'8", but I am fine on a 46L 4'11" and 51L 5'10" ....... The 51L is super easy because of the length.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Small boards are often tricky

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:14 am

I can get -20 liters to the surface in less wknd that I can get on foil. It’s awesome for chop. But if the lulls are so low the board stops and sinks 15-30 cm below the surface I have to start from zero. So if lulls are frequent I need the bigger board.

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

@bigtone667

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:48 pm

>>I know I cannot get going on a 45L 4'8", but I am fine on a 46L 4'11" and 51L 5'10" ....... The 51L is super easy because of the length.

Very interesting - how is the feeling of that thin 5'10 during flight compared to the 4'11.
Is that one foot really noticabel due to higher swing wight (normal riding not air combat)?

I wondered if it would be worth to add track in a 5'10x 23" 50L surfboard as a travel solution.

Cheers Dirk

Return to “Wingsurfing”