Small boards are often tricky

Forum for wing surfers
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Small boards are often tricky

Postby Trent hink » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:53 pm

I'm curious,

These tiny wing boards... Is it possible to waterstart them similar to the way we used to waterstart sinker windsurf boards?

If, so can someone post a video?

The method I have seen being used is different, and involves sitting on the board to get it moving, but from what I have seen, (and I have practically zero actual experience) wingsails can handle quite a bit of wind so it seems like a windsurfing-type waterstart should be possible.

If not, then why not?

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 am

Seems like it takes quite a bit of wind/power (maybe overpowered?).

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

This pic fits perfectly to that topic

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:55 pm

I saw this the other day at a "new" spot I now use for winging (no kites alowed).
One of the rookies zipping there up and down with seeingly unlitited endurance, and as to see, ballance.
He could do that during lulls for a minute without struggle, unsecure wiggling or what ever. Just standing there as if on land.
I still am highly impressed and gues when mastering that you do not need to stink bug but just stand up.

Years ago I was with Wayne Lynch on a SurfCharter and he recommended to train that on your shortboard during longer waits in the line up...
or maybe with your kite directional at the lake......
Attachments
3261a.JPG

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:33 pm

I posted earlier in this thread looking for advice on a lower volume board. Since then I got a 60L (-20) board and have had a handful of sessions on it. Above 14/15 knots, this board is absolutely no problem. It took a session to really dial in the stinkbug technique, but I was on foil from my first try. Originally I thought I would only use this board for high wind, but now I think this will be my board for 90% of my sessions. I also have a 90L, but probably won't be using it except for very light days or spots that don't have good depth (probably need an additional 6-8" of water to start the 60L vs the 90).

Very little downside to the smaller board, and I probably should have switched sooner.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:25 am

StellaBlu wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 am
Seems like it takes quite a bit of wind/power (maybe overpowered?).

This is interesting. How much more difficult is it to water start a small wing board than it is to water start a small windsurf board? I think of all the things I have learned in wind sports, mastering the water start on a sinker windsurfer was probably the most challenging. It seems to me - in theory - water starting a wing board might be easier in some ways because you can hold the wing in such a way that the wind gets under it to help lift you onto the board. With a windsurf sail it require carefully manoeuvring & balancing of the rig to prevent the board from rounding into the wind. But I'm just talking theoretically, as I have no experience winging.

czareka
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 92
Local Beach: Kessenich in Begium, Lake Zalew Zegrzyński, Lake Kierskie, Poland, Narty Lake Poland
Favorite Beaches: Sotavento on Fuerteventura
Brouwersdam in Holland
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Div. Armstrong Foils, Skywalker Board by Aeroboards, F One Surffoil 38L, Armstrong Wingsurf 34L Board, Su2 Boards, Sabfoil Fluente, Ozone Wings, Cabrinha Moto, Kauper-XT Falcon, Ozone Hyperlink.

Postby czareka » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:13 pm

Same as @happywizz I started with 120L board. After one session sold it and changed to 80L. Than after 20-25 sessions changed to 60L. Because I'm also kitefoiler I wanted to have one for all board and I switched to 34L Armstrong Wing Surf. Now I'm kitefoiling only from time to time and mostly winging.
I tried one time the Stinkbug method and got injured my elbows. I think this method needs to much effort to get up on the board. And I don't recommend this method.

There is much easier way to get up on the sinker board than "Stinkbug" and much more comfortable. At least you don't need that much wind and it mustn't be constant strong.

I use the Rodeo Style Method for getting up on the board.
With my 92 kg wet I can easy start in 13+ kts with my sinker board and if the wind drops down then I need to wait for a gust. 30s gust ist enough for me to start. I learned the Rodeo Start with my second foil session.

As happywizz wrote small boards are easier to pump than a bigger boards and much more fun to ride. Even If the other one is only one size bigger.

If the wind drops below 12kts then I switch to Kitefoil or I will learn pump foil and prone for days without wind.

These users thanked the author czareka for the post:
happywizz (Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:22 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

happywizz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen (The Netherlands)
Style: Foil wave, foil race
Gear: Moses, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby happywizz » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:21 pm

czareka wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:13 pm
There is much easier way to get up on the sinker board than "Stinkbug" and much more comfortable. At least you don't need that much wind and it mustn't be constant strong.
I use the Rodeo Style Method for getting up on the board.
Good suggestion! Thx Czareka! I will try it out, next time.
Also I changed from a 35L to a 42L appletreeboard, because I can use a much smaller wing (-1m) in the same conditions which I prefer. The board feeling is the same. So for me with 77 kg -35L is the perfect balance.
These users thanked the author happywizz for the post:
czareka (Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:04 pm

13+ knots with no lulls is when anything will work.

Return to “Wingsurfing”