Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Slick wants to fly upside down

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:31 pm

jkrug wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:16 pm
the wing flies from my leash only after a fall, not when i'm walking around the beach with it where i would hold it from front handle of course. when trying to get back on the board in the water, i use both my hands to stabilize and position myself on the board, and hence, the wing is flying on the leash (which i attach to my wrist). i doubt that is uncommon. what does seem uncommon is how the Slick wants to flip over in that moment.

Hmmm, not sure about that - I havent seen anyone around here, having the wing to the leash, when climbing onto the board?

And as said, I have never done that.

Hold the wing in the front handle with the same hand you have on the leeward board side, and get on your board, really easy to do and no problems with wings turning upside down now.

Even worse, when a wing, all brands, is on the leash, they tend to fly up and crash down really hard, slamming loud into the water - I think this is VERY tough on the sewings and will shorten the life of any wing.
Okay, if the wing is upside down, it is actually not a problem as not the same slamming I think :wink:

Try it, never release the wing to the leash, it will come naturally very fast, and you wont have any problems with wings turning :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
airsail (Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Slick wants to fly upside down

Postby cglazier » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:55 pm

Peter has good advice above. And in fact with a smaller board, when you are climbing on your board, you should have your leeward hand only gripping your wings front handle (and not touching your board). This allows you to spread your hands a bit for more stability. You will find the floatation in your wing provides a solid feeling to brace against.. even more solid than your other hand which is on your board.
:wink:

Return to “Wingsurfing”