Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

skidding...

Postby joekitetime » Fri May 06, 2022 4:04 pm

Hey there maniacs-

Tucker at Mackite says I"m searching for my unicorn. Possibly.

Ug, I'm in this dilemma and I know others experience it too. Growing up surfing, skating and snowboarding, there is nothing better than grinding/sliding across the top of a halfpipe, lip sliding. bombing down a mountain road on a skateboard and slide to control speed, smacking the lip in utter destruction with spray everywhere and board sliding out completely.

But I can't consistently get the foil to do that, but it is getting better.

I'm finding now that I prefer overpowered kite foiling to winging, because when you slide the foil you can momentarily leave weight on the kite rather than the foil which allows you to get the foil squirrely. Winging is harder because the wing typically won't hold your weight as reliably so you are heavier on the foil.

Or maybe it is my foil? I considered trying the Triton monofoil. I know for a fact that the answer is in the stabilizer and I've run out of ones to try. I tried mono but it is too slippery. I saw a guy riding once with a super duper short fuse and tiny stab and he was skidding like crazy. I wished I would have tried his setup - but he built it and so it was custom.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does anyone have the perfect setup where you can slide out the stab but the front wing is big enough that it reasonably continues to lift some during recovery? Does anyone have any tips for butchering stabs and fuses and not create a mess in the garage fit for the dumpster.

Anyone?
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
consumer (Sat May 07, 2022 2:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: skidding...

Postby StellaBlu » Fri May 06, 2022 5:43 pm

Jim Stringfellow can make you a custom short fuse. They aren't too expensive and his build is solid.

I would imagine that mast chord is another challenge to getting slide. In theory they mast acts like a keel and keeps you tracking vs sliding.

There was a guy who was all over instagram a couple weeks ago doing these insane slides on a foil (with a kite). I cant remember who it was, but he was basically doing an ollie, throwing the board slightly past sideways to break the tail out of the water, then sliding his front wing across the surface like a waterski (sideways to its normal direction of travel). I don't think its possible to pull this off with power from a wing (he was powered through the move), but it was insane.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
joekitetime (Fri May 06, 2022 6:50 pm)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri May 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Well, I also aspire to breaking out my foil intentionally and routinely do it for a bit of “floater” feeling in my riding. Breaching in pivot carves, or straight slides and landing strapless are all ways I try to make more fun out of small windswell.

I think it takes getting to really know your set up. I’m on a lift 170 classic. Has a big stab compared to most. I’m comfy doing all the above on it, but would never try any of it on someone else’s. No, it’s strictly foiling on anything unfamiliar.

I slide with the foil a bit broadside and feel like it’s sliding on the heel sides of both main wing and stab.

Practice practice practice. Start small and build from there. Dream big.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
joekitetime (Fri May 06, 2022 6:50 pm)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri May 06, 2022 7:03 pm

Like this: at (1:11)?

I think a shorter mast, flat and small stabilo, lower aspect flatter wing and a shorter fuse all help.

The Lift stabilos are all perfectly flat. A G10 stabilo should be easy to cut down. Check this: https://www.instagram.com/kdmaui/
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
joekitetime (Mon May 09, 2022 2:04 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 pm

Amazing :rollgrin:

But question was also wingfoil slides, seen that?
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
joekitetime (Mon May 09, 2022 2:25 pm)

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 am

I just recently got a Triton monofoil, and if you ever find yourself on the gulf coast of Florida, you are welcome to try it out.

For me, coming from the Moses 633 with s 483, the Triton wing is not as pitch stable, but it is not very hard to ride, and iit feels very reactive.

So all I can say I at this point is that it is fun but not super easy. It is challenging, but not particularly difficult. And I look forward to spending more time with it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 11, 2022 5:40 am

And you (intend to) use it for wingfoil?

Quite far from the typical AR used so guess it needs some more power, at least more consistent to keep gliding :wink:

8) Peter

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed May 11, 2022 12:11 pm

I assume OP is talking about this trick:-

Might be something you can do if overpowered on a wing but I get the point about being supported on a kite so it's easier to learn on the kite.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
joekitetime (Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm)

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Thu May 12, 2022 7:31 am

Would a hinged stab work?.
If the stab was allowed to let the trailing edge move upwards but hit a stop when creating downforce maybe it would give you some of that stabless looseness while being rideable.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Tue May 24, 2022 7:41 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:04 pm
Hey there maniacs-

Tucker at Mackite says I"m searching for my unicorn. Possibly.

Ug, I'm in this dilemma and I know others experience it too. Growing up surfing, skating and snowboarding, there is nothing better than grinding/sliding across the top of a halfpipe, lip sliding. bombing down a mountain road on a skateboard and slide to control speed, smacking the lip in utter destruction with spray everywhere and board sliding out completely.

But I can't consistently get the foil to do that, but it is getting better.

I'm finding now that I prefer overpowered kite foiling to winging, because when you slide the foil you can momentarily leave weight on the kite rather than the foil which allows you to get the foil squirrely. Winging is harder because the wing typically won't hold your weight as reliably so you are heavier on the foil.

Or maybe it is my foil? I considered trying the Triton monofoil. I know for a fact that the answer is in the stabilizer and I've run out of ones to try. I tried mono but it is too slippery. I saw a guy riding once with a super duper short fuse and tiny stab and he was skidding like crazy. I wished I would have tried his setup - but he built it and so it was custom.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Does anyone have the perfect setup where you can slide out the stab but the front wing is big enough that it reasonably continues to lift some during recovery? Does anyone have any tips for butchering stabs and fuses and not create a mess in the garage fit for the dumpster.

Anyone?
Joe check out this video I found @1:03-4

These users thanked the author consumer for the post:
joekitetime (Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 pm)

Return to “Wingsurfing”