Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board
Brand Affiliation: None

Harness line lengh

Postby Lamilu » Wed May 11, 2022 10:50 am

Just bought a Duotone Slick…as an ex windsurfer the boom was apealing.
It will be in in a few days…
Forseeing this new sport will get me tiered, I want to get used to harness and windsurf harness lines Alan Cadiz style from the start.
In one of his videos he mentioned he was using 30 inch length, but could have gone down to 28.
I am bigger than he is…and locally only access fixed lengh ones…
For those who use them…please share…how tall are you and what lengh of harness line you use…seat or normal harness…for some parameters to guide my decision.
Thanks.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Harness line lengh

Postby ronnie » Wed May 11, 2022 2:04 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:50 am
Just bought a Duotone Slick…as an ex windsurfer the boom was apealing.
It will be in in a few days…
Forseeing this new sport will get me tiered, I want to get used to harness and windsurf harness lines Alan Cadiz style from the start.
In one of his videos he mentioned he was using 30 inch length, but could have gone down to 28.
I am bigger than he is…and locally only access fixed lengh ones…
For those who use them…please share…how tall are you and what lengh of harness line you use…seat or normal harness…for some parameters to guide my decision.
Thanks.
I'm 171cm tall, using a 6.5m Slick and I got an adjustable harness line, which I use at full length of 36". The harness is a Ride Engine Vanaca with added Ocean Rodeo leg straps and a hold down pulley to keep the hook down. I normally use 28" lines to windsurf with a Mystic seat harness with a high hook.
PTFEHOOK VINACA OR STRAPS.jpg
PTFEHOOK VINACA OR STRAPS.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 912 times
The lines could be shorter with a smaller wing in stronger wind, and with a windsurf waist harness and longer windsurf hook on a 1" diameter windsurf spreader bar.
Last edited by ronnie on Wed May 11, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author ronnie for the post:
Lamilu (Wed May 11, 2022 2:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed May 11, 2022 2:21 pm

This nylon hook is a good idea, scraches less, and is easy to fabricate…👍🏻

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Wed May 11, 2022 2:27 pm

I did some experimenting and found it is not very complicated. It took all of about 20-30 minutes. Most wings seem to have the attachment points figured out so that part is done. Simply start with some length of a loop, I just used rope. If they are a little too long the load remains on your arms. Once you get to short you will immediately know it - the wing just feels too close. I shot for the furthest away from me where the harness still takes the load. If you've windsurfed you know that most all lengths work but some are just a little more comfy than others. I've never bothered to measure.

I use an old kite waist harness also ride toe-side hooked in.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed May 11, 2022 3:07 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:27 pm
I did some experimenting and found it is not very complicated. It took all of about 20-30 minutes. Most wings seem to have the attachment points figured out so that part is done. Simply start with some length of a loop, I just used rope. If they are a little too long the load remains on your arms. Once you get to short you will immediately know it - the wing just feels too close. I shot for the furthest away from me where the harness still takes the load. If you've windsurfed you know that most all lengths work but some are just a little more comfy than others. I've never bothered to measure.

I use an old kite waist harness also ride toe-side hooked in.
That is a good idea. It only takes a bit of rope to find the answer. Tie a knot in the end of some thick rope and wrap it onto the boom to make a larks head knot. Then do the same about 36" away down the rope and larks head that end onto the boom. Then try it and move the knot until you have the right length.
Attachments
lhhl.jpg

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed May 11, 2022 4:21 pm

Ok. Was trying to avoid rope that could damage the grip...

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed May 11, 2022 11:26 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:21 pm
Awww, you'll be fine, the grip will survive... Even windsurf specific ones can on the long term mark the grip a bit, but who cares, really? There will be less load than on windsurf rig, and if you use a typical 12 braid dyneema line of say 6 or 8mm, it will flatten well against the tube and lessen the risk of cosmetic damage.
Most critical part of your harness user experience is the length, and it is entirely dependent on your morphology, harness type, hook size, preferences, so it's entirely personal. Hence why you need to have adjustable length until you figured out exactly what works for you, and the easiest way is with a rope and knots as suggested above.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 am

Lamilu wrote:
I haven't got round to using my 4m Slick yet, but I expect that I will want to shorten the harness line slightly for the smaller wing, because I will be using it lower in the window. With the 6.5m I'm using it higher in the window - hence the longer length.

Adjustable harness lines only go up to a maximum of 36" so I am happy I bought one that does, because even at my size, the 36" is exactly the right size for the 6.5m (with my harness). The longest fixed harness lines go up to 38". I have used a 48" harness line on my 5m Unit and was able to hook in and rest my arms with it, but it was slightly too long. Connecting to handles will usually require a longer harness line than connecting to a boom.

The soft rope would not damage the boom and even if using a harder rope, it is only to test to find the right length of harness line to buy.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri May 13, 2022 2:17 am

I made some pigtails by folding a length of rope in half and tying a knot. Wrap the loop twice around the boom or handle in the form of a Prussic knot, then lark's head the harness line onto the pigtails.

The Prussic knot means there's 4 pieces of rope across the boom/handle spreading the load and reducing any point force that might wear. Once locked in the Prusik won't slip but is easy to loosen and slide along.

It's worth pointing out that it is easy to stop and sit on your board and adjust harness line lengths and positions until you work out something you're happy with.

I haven't settled on harness line length yet. For normal riding you want something longer that matches your normal riding arm position. For going upwind you get much better speed and angle with the wing close to the centreline of the board. That requires shorter harness lines.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 23, 2022 10:41 am

Lamilu wrote:
I cannibalised a couple of adjustable harness lines and used some 4mm rope and lightweight 5mm bore medical Polyethylene tube. It keeps the weight down and I can make the harness line adjustable in any range I want. I cannot adjust it on the fly, but it only takes a minute to move the knot that sets the length.
I had found that my adjustable line, that went up to 36" sometimes was still too short. I can probably adjust it up to about 46" now.
hline40pluss.jpg

Return to “Wingsurfing”