Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

aerogel in foil boards

Forum for wing surfers
consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: aerogel in foil boards

Postby consumer » Tue May 17, 2022 10:07 am

you guys are right sorry I was confused and thank you for setting me straight.

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Schietwedder » Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 pm

Some modern windsurfboards are hollow with nomex/foam sandwich and carbon around the outside providing stiffness.
The sandwich structure (foam/nomex) + inner layer carbon has tp be lighter than the foam you would normally have in a board.

Can imagine there's a certain board size where this hollow build method starts to gain weight advantages, but for a small kitefoil board I'd doubt there is a benefit in weight, let alone the manufacturing complexety

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue May 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Super-boyancy can be achieved by simply changing the liquid medium you´re carrying out your sport on/in.
Exchange water with mercury. 19-times higher boyancy with the same board! Great stuff! :lol:

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue May 17, 2022 2:59 pm

Schietwedder wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 pm
Some modern windsurfboards are hollow with nomex/foam sandwich and carbon around the outside providing stiffness.
The sandwich structure (foam/nomex) + inner layer carbon has tp be lighter than the foam you would normally have in a board.

Can imagine there's a certain board size where this hollow build method starts to gain weight advantages, but for a small kitefoil board I'd doubt there is a benefit in weight, let alone the manufacturing complexety
I split the difference on my 13 lb, 150 liter wingboard. “Hollow” but no inner carbon, just 1inch foam “honeycomb”. I did a lot of calculations and you only save a lb or so going hollow with inner carbon layer until in the 100+ liter range where the weight savings really adds up, but the expense does too!!
Attachments
6F312002-6A6B-4481-B4A7-6913A1E945B6.jpeg
0A43D536-81C8-4818-A096-ADFEC32F1F47.jpeg
6C0A2F44-3B38-43D9-BBF4-0A354A5775A0.jpeg

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:59 pm
Schietwedder wrote:
I split the difference on my 13 lb, 150 liter wingboard. “Hollow” but no inner carbon, just 1inch foam “honeycomb”. I did a lot of calculations and you only save a lb or so going hollow with inner carbon layer until in the 100+ liter range where the weight savings really adds up, but the expense does too!!
Wow, love the concept!.And that weight is amazing for that volume.
"She ain't exactly pretty,she ain't exactly small..." as Bon Scott said :) but she looks like a total magic carpet ride.

I am planning a wingfoil board construction (first one) and i keep running the hollow nose ideas around my head but as you say,for below 100l the weight gain is probably marginal.I might still do some hollowing because a single gram loss way in front is going to add a bit of liveliness.

The windsurf boards you are talking about are probably Patrik's Air Inside tech , he is getting into wingfoiling too.

https://patrik-windsurf.com/airinside/

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Fri May 20, 2022 11:08 am

Jyoder wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:59 pm
Schietwedder wrote:

Interesting!
Another good In-betweeen would be a chambered foam core, anyone done something like this?

Return to “Wingsurfing”