Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Hover Glide FWing Set Up

Forum for wing surfers
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot Hover Glide FWing Set Up

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:40 am

In my short time learning to wing foil, I have been setting up my hydrofoil with the front wing in the A position which is with the mast attached at the back of the front wing. I think I read that this is a more stable position for learning (I could be wrong). I can set it up in the B position in which the mast attaches to the fuselage behind the front wing, but I have not tried it yet. My question is which mast position do you recommend? Should I stay with the A position until I get used to flying on the foil or switch to the B position? Thanks in advance for your advice.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Re: Slingshot Hover Glide FWing Set Up

Postby gl » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 am

I run mine in the B position on the longer fuselage. It works well for me. I have never tried it in the A position.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
JakeFarley (Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:15 am

The 'A" position helps with earlier take offs. It depends on whether you are riding the 84cm or the 76cm infinity wing. The 84cm flies better on the 'A' position, but the 76cm on the 'A' position usually leads to a weird imbalance where you have to have your weight so far forward on the board that it is awkward for foot placement. Even putting the mast all the way back doesn't offset how far forward you have to place your weight with the 76cm on 'A'.
These users thanked the author consumer for the post:
JakeFarley (Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:21 am)

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:37 am

I believe the FWING is the 99. I have both of the other wings mentioned and I found the opposite of what Consumer said. I find less lift in the A position because the wing is further back. I also never got the imbalance he mentioned.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:07 pm

You're gonna get a bunch of different answers here. For me I use the long fuselage with the C position and the whole foil slammed far back in the tracks. I run it this way because I use the same foil for windfoiling on a different board and mast and don't want to always be dicking around moving the wing from B to C. This setup works fine for me, it's stable and easy to ride, but likely doesn't pump as well as a short fuselage setup.
These users thanked the author Eltreato for the post:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:28 am

Thanks to all for your replies. I do have the Infinity 99 front wing with the 48 rear wing. I don't have the longer fuselage with the C position. It makes sense what gl said that it would help to produce more lift in the B position as the front wing is more forward (which is what I want as I have needed considerable speed to get up on the foil thus far in the A position). Next time out I am going to put the mast in the B position and see how it performs.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:19 pm

JakeFarley wrote: Thanks to all for your replies. I do have the Infinity 99 front wing with the 48 rear wing. I don't have the longer fuselage with the C position. It makes sense what gl said that it would help to produce more lift in the B position as the front wing is more forward (which is what I want as I have needed considerable speed to get up on the foil thus far in the A position). Next time out I am going to put the mast in the B position and see how it performs.
I have exactly the same 99/48 foil & love it..using it from 10-30knots - I started/attempted using it in the A position & for me this did not work at all.... in B it is an entirely different story & is great. Word of advice is don't put the foil too far forward in the board tracks, as although I am 90kgs, when just past the centre of the tracks, the board feels "sticky" and by moving it back, it seems to enable the foil to work much more nicely.
These users thanked the author Robsw6 for the post:
JakeFarley (Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:55 pm)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:55 pm

This past Friday I set up using the B position. I had the mast just in front of middle of the track. It was difficult getting up on the foil probably because of what The Russian said about the board being "sticky" with the mast forward. Also, there was a lot of surface/floating seaweed which I could tell was slowing me down. Only got up on foil a few times until the tide went out and the wind died. I will set up the mast further back next time out, perhaps tomorrow if we get some wind.

Return to “Wingsurfing”