Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Okay, 10-15knot winging is actually fun!

Forum for wing surfers
martrench
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, 6m & 8m Peak 5s, Shinn Monk Chromatic 134, 4'6" Dwarf Craft, Axis BSC 810 front/400 freeride rear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Okay, 10-15knot winging is actually fun!

Postby martrench » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 am

What size rear wing and fuse are you using with your 1010 front? Thanks!
RadDrDuke wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:53 pm
I wing in 10-15 knots daily, agree it's very fun and even great for waveriding. 75kg, 75L board, 5m wing, big foil (axis 1010).

As you stated, learning how to pump (foil and wing) is really the key if you want to ride more performance gear.
If you want to just "sheet in and go" as most beginners do then you'll need a massive wing -maybe 8m?- and a huge board and huge foil.

Boston kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 12 rebel, 10m Rebel. 9m sls Neo, 7m Neo

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Duotone Profish, Cab secret agent/Lift 200 surf

Postby Boston kiter » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:13 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:31 pm
Now that I’m getting better at light wind pumping starts I’ve discovered I actually like winging in 10-15knots. The lighter wind means less air drag and chop when turning upwind and so I was able to make a lot of progress perfecting tacks and experimenting with starting to attempt back winded 360. Big light board and foil means I can crash repeatedly, hop back on and go without much struggle to restart— decreasing the opportunity cost of attempting new things. Sure I could be on a smaller board, but then it takes that much more effort to restart so I stop trying stuff.

75kg rider. 67x27x6 150liter board, Sabfoil 1100/450/82cm mast, Duotone Echo 5m

Yesterday I was never slogging waiting for wind more than a min and could tack with foot switch 80-100% each side after ~30 crashes or so. Getting dialed in feels super good after feeling like a wobbly colt compared to being skilled kitefoiler. I can finally see why some have gone full wing and quit kiting, though I don’t plan to.

Don’t give up the big board and big foil too soon, it may slow your progression!
150ltr??? that's massive. What are the dimensions of that board.

Jyoder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:37 pm

Boston kiter wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:13 pm

150ltr??? that's massive. What are the dimensions of that board.
67in x 27in x 6in. Volume is higher than you’d think because it’s a very very boxy shape. But with foil mount well forward, makes it feel much smaller than 150 liters when flying. Also because it’s only 14-15lbs, being half hollow.
Attachments
EBD49E30-29EA-4700-9FA9-945176B3C0D7.jpeg
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
Boston kiter (Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:12 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:40 pm

He wrote the dimensions, it is only 5'5 and normal width.

But thick and must be extremely square to reach 150 litres for 67x27x6 inch.

8) Peter

Okay, did not see you had answered when I posted, but it explained... :roll:

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:30 pm

1010 front, 460 tail, ultrashort fuselage.
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:
martrench (Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:20 pm)

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:13 pm

Winging in light winds and flat water is super boring. If there are waves then it can be fun. I ride the same board and foils for either kiting or winging. When the wind is light I put up a kite. When the wind is strong I put up the wing (I'd say the line is drawn at 12-13mph winds).

When I first started winging it was a blast in in the 12mph range, but now it is just boring, compared to putting up the kite.

You can practice many of the same tricks being propelled by the kite instead of the wing. You can also do a lot of experimenting.

Don't get me wrong - I'm stoked that folks are stoked on winging in light winds!

Maybe I'm just old and lazy. I don't like to work to much.
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post (total 2):
airsail (Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:13 pm) • Peter_Frank (Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:25 am)
Rating: 13.33%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 pm

Light wind winging is fun for progressing things that you can then apply to higher wind winging. 360s, backwinded riding, unnatural stance maneuvers, breaching the wing, pumping, etc... (let me know if I'm missing anything on this list). All of that can be practiced and perfected in lighter wind. But once you've dialed in that stuff you've essentially maxed out your progression, or else you've got to be pretty creative. You can't really jump under ~15 knots. At that point lightwind riding is nice in the same way that a nature hike is nice - cruise around, explore and appreciate being on the water. Probably holds my interest for a 45 min session unless its a new spot or I can find waves.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
Jyoder (Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:26 am

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:13 pm
Winging in light winds and flat water is super boring. If there are waves then it can be fun. I ride the same board and foils for either kiting or winging. When the wind is light I put up a kite. When the wind is strong I put up the wing (I'd say the line is drawn at 12-13mph winds).

When I first started winging it was a blast in in the 12mph range, but now it is just boring, compared to putting up the kite.

You can practice many of the same tricks being propelled by the kite instead of the wing. You can also do a lot of experimenting.

Don't get me wrong - I'm stoked that folks are stoked on winging in light winds!

Maybe I'm just old and lazy. I don't like to work to much.

Agree fully :thumb:
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
drsurf (Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:09 pm)

JZB
Rare Poster
Weight: 230
Local Beach: East Hampton
Style: Kite Foils Wing
Gear: Sab
Duatone
Fanatic
Has thanked: 0

Postby JZB » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:42 am

235 lb @ 6" 4' 67 yrs 134 L board and my strength to weight ratio could be better .....

8 m Strike and 1250 SAB maybe can pump onto foil in 12-15 mph when gust hits.

Also have a 6.5m DLab and I think I can pump onto foil as good or better than the 8m. Lighter stiffer and smaller so easier to pump.

Need a few more secsions to tell.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:28 am

joekitetime wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:13 pm
(...). When the wind is light I put up a kite. When the wind is strong I put up the wing (I'd say the line is drawn at 12-13mph winds).

(...)
I get that, but it's all based on the principle that you can wing or kite on that spot, on that day. Many times when I wing, kiting is not an option. Either due to sketchy launch, extremely gusty winds, etc... Sometimes kiting could be considered but with such a large probability of things going pear shaped, that you decide against it. And I'd rather go wing foiling than not go at all...

I'm currently faced with the summer restrictions that plague the south of France, where I couldn't realistically travel with a ~100L wing board, so I packed my kiting gear, and while kitefoiling is perfectly suited to the conditions out there, if I want to ride, I have to take the car, drive a bit, find a park in a very busy place (an act of faith), setup in the small designated area, use the designated channel that takes me out to the 300m from the shore area where I can happily ride (with 50 other riders), and hope that the car and its content are still there in the end. With a wing, I'd setup across the road, grovel out of the swimmer's area, and enjoy the ride, without the police batting an eyelid. Probably it'd feel not as fast or not as nice as kiting, but without all the extra hassles removed, that fallback option would still have plenty of appeal.

Aside from that, I'm in the same frame of mind as yours that I would most likely pick the kiting option if both are equally available.

Return to “Wingsurfing”