Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board
Brand Affiliation: None

Industry interest in Promoting Wingsurfing

Postby Lamilu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 pm

I am travling by bus this weekend to a 600 km away spot.
Bed Seat...leaves 21:00 friday...arrives 6:00 saturday...
Leaves 20:00 sunday...arrives 5:00 monday...2 nights on a bus...1 night at a Hotel...2 full days in "heaven"...at almost 60 its tyering...but doable...that is...with my hydrofoiling 125 cm board...and my small kite.
All goes in a old dakine twintip wheeled quiver bag that used to be retiered.
I am really interested in learning Wingfoiling, but such a trip is not feasible unless you have an inlatiable board.
It will have to wait a expensive car trip.
Being an ex windsurfer, wingfoiling/surfing looks interesting, and will do it, but all the hype about it is somewhat a fake media...in a sense that in the extreme they claim kite hydrofoiling is dead...
Who is responsible for this advertising?
My hydrofoiling equipment will last years, 1 kite, 1 board, 2 foils...
Wingsurfing: lessons, several boards, several wings, at least 2 foils, etc, etc.
Industry must LOVE a new and evolving equipment sport, where individual evolution also requieres frequently changing gear...
So, instead of 1 kite, now I need 2 or 3 wings...
Nothing beats kite hydrofoiling for travelling...
If you live very close to a wingsurfing spot...ok...if not and almost always have to travel...not so much, if you dont go by car...even less so.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Industry interest in Promoting Wingsurfing

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:39 pm

as long as there are people following trends, there is an industry ;-)

But why someone has to do it...I don't understand. Just do what you are interested in doing. But somehow marketing always gets people...because people also like to try new things and not get stuck, which can be frustrating.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 pm

Im interested in both, travel always by plane to cumbuco, your spot, but now feel a real need do rent a closet in Outro Beach or Catavento to leave wingfoiling gear permanently...maybe having to buy a second set of equipment to leave at home and use locally...what am I getting myself into...dear god...kkk...at least my kite hydrofoiling gear can travel with me...as i really dont want to abandon one to start another...

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 pm

I see a push to target more mainstream users, bigger numbers, more money. At the moment in South of France with summer restrictions in place, kiters have to go to some designated area or wait till 6 or 7pm before using closest beach. Wingers go out from anywhere, and no one complains, as long as they're sensible and stay clear from swimmers. The safety factor, in terms of danger to others is much less than for kiting. I traveled with my kitefoiling kit. It's great, but I wish I could ride the local beach across the road. Even an inflatable wing board is quite big and heavy and will push the luggage allowance into the red.

Because of less danger, and less liability, it is also possible to rent some wingsurfing gear whereas not many clubs would dare renting some kiting gear to random people. The risk is too big. Renting opens this sport to more people.

Developing something new is also exciting, brands who have developed kitesurfing gear over 20yrs probably don't get the same buzz in doing version 21 of that, than for developing their wings, where evolutions are significant. Maturity vs pioneering. And it works really well in some spots, where it delivers good levels of fun, so it makes sense to push for that,

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:36 pm

Friend...
I think you hit the spot: "Renting Board".
I bought a Reedin 112 L board, I got to know the dealer, in Fortaleza, near Cumbuco, last trip I took a wing and dual use foils, as I know the dealer has a demo or his board the same size I asked if he would rent his, he answered that it wasnt a usual request, he would think about it, but it was doable, yes...
If major brands kept equipment, specially boards, to rent in major destinations, specially for people who bought their gear, at least for myself, it would be a determinating factor to consider...specially since winging is relatively safe, at least for the board...
Problem partially solved...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:39 pm

There is no great conspiracy with evil brands having top secret meetings plotting to change the course of history. Someone came up with a variation that is a mix of surf/sup foiling and windsurfing, turns out lots of people have found it fun, so they are selling more of them. That's pretty much it. Other people having fun on different gear than you what you ride is not an attack on you or your riding style. Nor does it require more gear than kiting: same as kiting you can make do with a single wing and single foil, or just like kiting, you can specialize a quiver for specific conditions.

Winging offers some pros on kite foiling: easy to launch anywhere, gusty/holey/offshore winds less a concern, you have much more freedom of movement for wave and swell riding. But it presents some cons too: light wind is less efficient, boards are bigger and more cumbersome. I haven't yet traveled with my rig, not looking forward to the hassles compared to kitefoiling ... but it's pretty much the same as surfing or kitesurfing, once you get into surfboard size, it's extra $ no matter which sport.

Bottom line, if you are still stoked on kite foiling, keep doing that. If you want to try something new, do it, but with the obvious requirement to invest money, time, and hassle factor while you figure it out.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post (total 2):
foursquare (Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:47 pm) • Dontsink (Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:56 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:16 pm

I pondered on all what has been said.
Can obviously see advantages. Agree with most.
It is more of a “if you are not in the new thing” suddenly you are not soo cool anymore…
Sales/Industry/Media/Schools has a part in this…undestandable.
Lots of investing…
I am dooing it…
Will not give up kite hydrofoiling at 110 kg.
And…
Hard to fit gear in a cab or economy rental.
Take your gear…or your wife…choose.
:bye:

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm

hehe, I am going to take a guess that you are under 50? Later on, "cool" matters less, you go with whatever's most fun for the limited time you have left to chase it. :-)

Our crew are long-time surfers, who got into kiting to deal with the windy days as the surfing is no good. We have now probably 75% switched over to wing, not because kiting is no good, but partially because winging is something new to mix it up, but mainly because foiling optimizes crappy surf. I see winging mainly as as surf/wave/swell riding tool ... flat water, you may as well be kiting (assuming decent wind and good launches). I do miss schwacking lips and do intend to get back on the kitesurfboard. Similarly, I miss the jet powered skateboard feel of the mako twintip, along with those lifty weightless airs....also intend to do that. And going crazy fast on a kite foilboard in barely any wind. All of these things are fun on the right day.

So, forget your cab or economy rental, you need a sprinter van or a trailer to pack all the gear.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Fall victim to the fun of wing foiling. Don’t fall victim to marketing. You don’t need all sorts of gear. After learning the ropes (renting) most people would be fine with a single board and foil. Lots of spots can get by with a two wing quiver too. The gear is developing fast but a lot of it is at the margins or based on specific conditions. If you figure out your conditions you can narrow the equipment choices significantly.

I’ve also travelled all over the place with my wing setup. It’s not significantly harder than traveling with a twin tip setup.

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:15 pm

The more I watch the less interest I have. Access to shitty launches is the only advantage I can see, everything is better and more dynamic with a kite. Also flying a kite is part of the magic, holding a wing in my face is just not appealing to me. :o :o

Return to “Wingsurfing”