Brand Affiliation: None.

Duotone Slick SLS Review

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:49 pm

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Slick SLS Review

Postby Dave K » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:23 am

Average Joe dedicated boom user here and in the process of switching from my 6, 5 and 4m Slicks to 6, 5 and 4m SLS Slicks. Just got my first session on the 5m SLS. My perspective is just “ole guy” flat water strapless, but very happy so far. Some first impressions (sorry about the slightly blurry GoPro Max footage . Guess I had some challenging sun angles):

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:31 pm

Nice fluid smooth style Dave :thumb:

I can't do that...

8) Peter

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:24 am

Peter, I’m guessing that just based on your kitefoil skill level, you could easily surpass my wing foil level. I’m just happy there is a wind sport out there that I can still do with my bad knees and bad back.

FWIW I’ve been using Duotone boom wings from the very beginning (Sept 2019) and it’s amazing how much better the new Slick SLS is compared to the original Duotone wings. Night and day!

Axis1050
Medium Poster
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Caves Beach
Favorite Beaches: All
Style: Windwing
Gear: Moses
, Naish, BRM Cloud and Axis

Postby Axis1050 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:03 am

Hi Dave K
With your bad knees do u have a magic technique for getting up to standing in lightish wind?
Thx Warwick

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:00 pm

Axis1050 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:03 am
Hi Dave K
With your bad knees do u have a magic technique for getting up to standing in lightish wind?
Thx Warwick
Towards the end of the video I posted, I show one of my knee starts. I normally wear knee pads but forgot them this session. Nothing magical about anything I do :lol: . I’ll get up on my hands and knees with my “downwind” hand holding the wing front handle but also resting on the board for balance. I get my balance tweaked so that when I lift the wing (going from hands on board to hands on boom) I can grab the boom very quickly and immediately get power in the wing for balance and forward momentum

I don’t like spending much time on my knees and the clip shows I’m reasonably quick about getting to my feet. Not too crazy (after 3 years!) if you are well powered. If underpowered it’s much tougher, and if underpowered in messy chop it’s really tough! Again. this is what works for me. Plenty of other start variations out there

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:50 pm

I have had the SLS in 4½ and 5½ m2 for a while now, loving these.

Superlight (Platinum boom), really stable when in your hand surfing, LE seems strong and sturdy, pumps up really fast and nothing can twist not even the pump nozzle as close to the boom attachment (clever), you can grab the front of the bar even faster than the Echo as it sits quite far forward, wide handle make surfing even with a cam in balance or allow for hand switching, really stiff.

Only small thing I have noticed, is when the wind picks up, the 5.5 can have a little flutter sound in the canopy because it is so light, dissapears when sheeted in more.

Was afraid I would miss the longer boom but the SLS is so balanced and you can hold with one hand in the middle but also with two hands very wide without reaching the ends :thumb:

The best thing about the Slick SLS is it looks great, compared to the square Slick I dont like....

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”