Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wingfoil Lessons

Forum for wing surfers
RRC1962
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 240
Local Beach: Dewey Beach, DE
Favorite Beaches: Rehoboth, DE. Outer Banks, NC.
Style: Freeride, mow the grass
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.
Brand Affiliation: None

Wingfoil Lessons

Postby RRC1962 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:22 pm

I've decided to take a couple wing surfing/foiling lessons. They require you take a basic course on a surfboard before taking a foil class. Problem is that I a, 230lbs and I need a big wind and the school uses small wings no bigger than 5m. I'm considering just buying a wing before taking the class. The shop sells boards but not wings. I also have a 7' surfboard I can use with the wing until I find the right foil board. I'm looking at the following....

7m Duotone Slick
7.5m Naish MK4
7m Cabrinha Mantis
7.5m Slingshot Slingwing V3

I figure if I get the right wing, then I can shop foil boards at the local shop. Unfortunately, I can't get a wing the size I need other than online. What do you all think of the wings above? They are all around the same price. I pretty much stick to free riding. My trick days are over.

As far as board and foils, I was thinking 140-150L board with a larger foil.

Thanks

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: Wingfoil Lessons

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:02 pm

Take the lesson first. 5m might eventually be too small for you (depends on the wind) but a smaller wing is better if you are just learning to handle the wing on a surfboard. A big wing can be cumbersome to handle and flip over as a beginner.

As far as those wings go - look into how wide the span is. The wider span wings are challenging unless you are very tall. My favorite big wing is the FOne CWC and I didn’t like the mantis in large sizes (it’s great below 5m).

But don’t buy anything until after the class. You will learn a ton being on the water with a wing and between the class and feedback from your instructors, you will be better informed to choose gear than beforehand. Ideally you can use their gear for several sessions to start to dial things in.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:22 pm

When they say "surfboard" they probably mean SUP or old windsurf board, we're talking 140L of float here. Your 7' surfboard would be rather useless to learn winging on, you need something big wide and stable so you can stand up and fart around with the wing.

Is there a reason why you aren't considering the Fone CWC wings? They are specially designed for large sizes and come in 6/7/8m opposed to just scaling up their regular wing design.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:45 pm

For me…
Fat guy…
Wide made more difference…than a few liters more…
80cm wide board…
6m wing…

RRC1962
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.

Postby RRC1962 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:48 pm

Thanks guys. I'll take the class and see how it goes. Never know, winging might not be my thing.

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:18 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Is there a reason why you aren't considering the Fone CWC wings? They are specially designed for large sizes and come in 6/7/8m opposed to just scaling up their regular wing design.
It hadn't popped up on my radar, but after looking at reviews it looks like the way to go. Guys riding the 8m in as low as 6kts and up to 20kts. 20kts is about the top end of our average winds. Just need to find a 8m in stock. Going to take a beginner class on Friday.

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:27 pm

What would you all recommend for a big wide floaty board and foil for a 240lb beginner? I'm really liking the reviews and videos on the 8m Strike CWC, so that's probably the wing for me. The Naish S27 Hover Wing Carbon Ultra looks pretty good. I'm kind of lost on the wing. Wish we had a local shop that stocked this gear.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 am

I saw a Cabrinha Crosswing X3 7m.
Looked like Godzilla to me…

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:22 am

Little bit of an update. I found a Slingshot Hover Glide on a WF-2 board for a good deal and I'm practicing behind the boat with limited success. Could partially be the boat driver (wife) not really understanding that steady speed and throttle is important. I have a lesson next week. The school uses Armstrong boards foils and wings. Their trainer board is a 6'4" with a low aspect 2100ish front foil, which is close to my Hover Glide which is 2066 and 84cm wide. They recommend no larger than a 6.5 wing. They said the larger wing makes it easier to get started but cumbersome once you're on foil and no longer need all that power.

The Hover Glide is fun in the surf riding prone. Haven't tried standing up on it in the surf yet. The plan is to kite with the WF-2 board, buy a more suitable board for winging and swap the Hover Glide from board to board depending on the plan of attach for that day.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:52 pm

With all due love and respect perhaps head over to wingforum.com

Return to “Wingsurfing”