Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A cool twist to tacks & jibes

Postby joekitetime » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:57 pm

This is super cool, thanks for sharing.

A buddy was doing toe-side tacks with the behind the back pass - I thought it looked super cool and wanted to try it.

Another epic local rider always does behind the back wing passes on his heelside tack. Yesterday I started trying them (got 2). I found that they are much easier on the body than traditional heelside tacks passing the wing overhead. Additionally, they are a less risky way to attempt the tack - the crashes are near nothing (unlike riding backwinded where the crashes can be pretty severe).

If you haven't tried passing the wing behind the back on tacks, it is pretty harmless (to try).

Not sure on behind the back jibes. I need to wrap my brain around that one!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:20 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:57 pm
This is super cool, thanks for sharing.

A buddy was doing toe-side tacks with the behind the back pass - I thought it looked super cool and wanted to try it.

Another epic local rider always does behind the back wing passes on his heelside tack. Yesterday I started trying them (got 2). I found that they are much easier on the body than traditional heelside tacks passing the wing overhead. Additionally, they are a less risky way to attempt the tack - the crashes are near nothing (unlike riding backwinded where the crashes can be pretty severe).

If you haven't tried passing the wing behind the back on tacks, it is pretty harmless (to try).

Not sure on behind the back jibes. I need to wrap my brain around that one!
Never thought about the heel side tack with pass. thanks for that , will try it next time out!
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
joekitetime (Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:23 pm

It is pretty easy and intuitive.

Here is a local guy just ripping one, but he is above mortal.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/feed?hi ... &ref=notif

bricedenice
Rare Poster
Gear: Acme

Postby bricedenice » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:10 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:23 pm
It is pretty easy and intuitive.

Here is a local guy just ripping one, but he is above mortal.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/feed?hi ... &ref=notif
Impressive carving! I don't see a behind-the-back pass though, but rather an overshoot of the normal overhead pass?

Dave_H
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas
Style: Airstyle, kite foil, wing foil
Gear: Souls, Flites and Swings
Delta

Postby Dave_H » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:11 am

Very stylish transition indeed. Some things that are note worthy are the long wing leash and its waist style attachment that are being using in windmaker's video. After watching the local talent crank some impressive behind the back wing passes a few months ago, I gave it a try on the water and quickly found out that there can be some limitations with a standard length wing leash attached to the wrist. Its a good idea to walk through this move on the beach with your wing and leash first to see what works and what doesn't.
These users thanked the author Dave_H for the post:
windmaker (Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:26 pm)

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:58 pm

Dave_H wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:11 am
Very stylish transition indeed. Some things that are note worthy are the long wing leash and its waist style attachment that are being using in windmaker's video. After watching the local talent crank some impressive behind the back wing passes a few months ago, I gave it a try on the water and quickly found out that there can be some limitations with a standard length wing leash attached to the wrist. Its a good idea to walk through this move on the beach with your wing and leash first to see what works and what doesn't.
Exactly. Wing to waist leash AND you need to pre wrap it around your back so that as you do the behind-the-back pass the leash unwraps instead of wrapping tighter. It’s basically like handle pass moves in kiteboarding (which I never did). I’m getting ~ 40% of my behind-the-back tacks toe side to heel side.

I’ve never seen that jibe behind-the- back pass before. Really cool. I take screen grabs to wrap my head around the move. As I see it, he’s going into the first half of a back winded 360, not a traditional jibe. He starts the pass from that backwinded position. I do standard backwindwinded 360’s and overhead flips from backwinded to toe side, but I’ve never tried this before. On the list to try!

Attachments
8C60D6D2-DBB0-4A85-ABD9-147EBF5D3E71.jpeg
These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
Dave_H (Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:41 pm)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:26 pm

Dave_H wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:11 am
Standard wrist leash + 40cm extension attached to a waist belt made using some webbing and buckle recovered from an old kite bag.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
Dave_H (Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:40 pm)

Return to “Wingsurfing”