Gong High Aspect wings

Forum for wing surfers
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong High Aspect wings

Postby joriws » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:12 pm

On gong fb page a friend wrote a review and comparison of multiple gong wings..

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:43 pm

Cant find it on the "Gong Galaxy" FB page as I assume you are talking about, not even with a search on his name, has it been removed?

8) Peter

Update - got it now, and have chatted with him...
Direct link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1740020 ... %2CO%2CP-R

SurfDing
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75kg
Gear: Gong, fone
Has thanked: 0

Postby SurfDing » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:49 pm

Just read this thread which is interesting. I'm 78kg progressed Winging from Rise XL, Curve XLT, Curve LT 1450, Veloce LT 1350, Fluid LH 1200 changed to Veloce MT 1000. (Sup foil Fluid XXLS)
~For what its worth....Winging/surfing in mainly wind swell the LH felt huge and needed speed to kept it flying at a decent speed. I like (similar to surfing) hovering for a set to come before launching down the face and LH would just drop if I tried to hover. Turning the LH on a wave felt long and drawn out. The Veloce LT is an absolute weapon in light wind, as stated above the foil is thin and goes fast, low stall speed and is just fun. I swapped the Fluid LH 102cm wingspan for the Veloce 78cm wingspan MT - OMG, night and day. (Interestingly the volume 0.71L is about the same on both). The LH was a barge on a wave at 102 and the 78 wingspan of the MT is nimble and quick. It encourages you to try top to bottom turns and be a bit more aggressive rather than passive. For me HA foils need to be less than 90 wide to be fun in my conditions. The LT works in 10 to 14 knots on a -5L board and the MT work in 15+ -5L board. The MT in stormy conditions is great as it does not get rolled around like the LH. I'm very happy in the Mid Aspect thin foil range atm!
These users thanked the author SurfDing for the post:
BenS (Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BenS
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64
Local Beach: Hayling Island, UK.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight RS V4 (8/10/12)

Postby BenS » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 pm

SurfDing wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:49 pm
I swapped the Fluid LH 102cm wingspan for the Veloce 78cm wingspan MT - OMG, night and day. (Interestingly the volume 0.71L is about the same on both). The LH was a barge on a wave at 102 and the 78 wingspan of the MT is nimble and quick. It encourages you to try top to bottom turns and be a bit more aggressive rather than passive. For me HA foils need to be less than 90 wide to be fun in my conditions. The LT works in 10 to 14 knots on a -5L board and the MT work in 15+ -5L board. The MT in stormy conditions is great as it does not get rolled around like the LH. I'm very happy in the Mid Aspect thin foil range atm!
Interesting to hear your feedback on these foils for winging, thanks. I'm currently riding Curve L (light wind) and Fluid LS (mid/strong wind) foils - I weigh 63Kg - and was considering an upgrade at some point in the new year to either a Fluid M-H or Veloce MT. I'd like a fast foil for getting back upwind quickly and still be agile enough for responsive turns when wave riding. Sounds as though I should opt for the Veloce MT. I do also have one of the new "pro" Fluid H stabs and pro (shorter) fuselage on pre-order which is supposedly an improvement on speed and glide even when paired with the non-high aspect front foils I already own.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:45 pm

Peter

Thank you for your review. I just got my fluid LH + 38 h stab but it looks like it’ll be weeks before there will be wind to ride it. Was getting worried about making a bad decision because I have been reading several not so enthusiastic reviews about the LH.

I’m coming from lift HA 170 (1050cm2)and 200(1250cm2) + 25 glide stab, 88kg and 55L board. The lifts are good foils but I wanted something with a lot more glide to connect wind swell and catch the smallest boat wake. I don’t usually get to ride in the waves, unfortunately.

From your review it sounds like I may be stoked on the LH! Hope so. Fingers crossed

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:39 pm

SurfDing wrote:
Just read this thread which is interesting. I'm 78kg progressed Winging from Rise XL, Curve XLT, Curve LT 1450, Veloce LT 1350, Fluid LH 1200 changed to Veloce MT 1000. (Sup foil Fluid XXLS)
~For what its worth....Winging/surfing in mainly wind swell the LH felt huge and needed speed to kept it flying at a decent speed. I like (similar to surfing) hovering for a set to come before launching down the face and LH would just drop if I tried to hover. Turning the LH on a wave felt long and drawn out. The Veloce LT is an absolute weapon in light wind, as stated above the foil is thin and goes fast, low stall speed and is just fun. I swapped the Fluid LH 102cm wingspan for the Veloce 78cm wingspan MT - OMG, night and day. (Interestingly the volume 0.71L is about the same on both). The LH was a barge on a wave at 102 and the 78 wingspan of the MT is nimble and quick. It encourages you to try top to bottom turns and be a bit more aggressive rather than passive. For me HA foils need to be less than 90 wide to be fun in my conditions. The LT works in 10 to 14 knots on a -5L board and the MT work in 15+ -5L board. The MT in stormy conditions is great as it does not get rolled around like the LH. I'm very happy in the Mid Aspect thin foil range atm!
Well said and completely agree. Also 78 kg. Tested an ART 999 over several sessions. Bought and then sold my Fluid LH and just ride a Veloce LT and Fluid LT. I have a Fluid MT that I use primarily for kite foiling. I’ve wing foiled with it in 18+ knots but I still prefer the Fluid LT even in stronger winds. Last crazy item; I still own a Veloce XXL that I love to use as a light wind foil for practicing new “stuff” with. Sounds huge at 1900 sq cm and 107 cm span, but it works great in lighter winds

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:51 am

Another member of the family

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:41 pm

Dave K wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:39 pm
SurfDing wrote:
Well said and completely agree. Also 78 kg. Tested an ART 999 over several sessions. Bought and then sold my Fluid LH and just ride a Veloce LT and Fluid LT. I have a Fluid MT that I use primarily for kite foiling. I’ve wing foiled with it in 18+ knots but I still prefer the Fluid LT even in stronger winds. Last crazy item; I still own a Veloce XXL that I love to use as a light wind foil for practicing new “stuff” with. Sounds huge at 1900 sq cm and 107 cm span, but it works great in lighter winds

I love the Fluid LT as an allround wing for everything being 78 kg.

Bought the MT but it was too draggy for its size, sold it.

And now have the YpraS in L and XL, THEY have low drag and glide well, higher aspect 8.2 but not too high so turns okay.
But keeping my FluidT's as a lot easier and starts earlier of course, but sometimes the waves can outrun these.

The L is superfast and small, but works great when wind.

Had the Fluid LH but found it too nernous for me - great glide but not my liking....

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”