Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong High Aspect wi

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Dave K wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:41 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 am

Thanks Dave, nice pics to show the difference - a thin tapered rear fuselage on the new one :thumb:
Could you measure the chord at the bottom on your 85 cm mast?
Thickness is not super easy to measure though, but maybe possible with a caliper now it is not a monobloc.
Snip...
8) Peter

Chord at the the fuselage end of the mast : 13 cm
Mast thickness (lower half): 17.7mm (electronic calipers)

I think it’s pretty decent given the stiffness and comparing to my Axis 19mm Al masts that I still have sitting around.

Snip...
Measured my 85 cm monobloc just before the fuselage.

It is 130 mm wide, and 16 to 16.1 mm thick, so even thinner (unless you have measured a fairing without knowing?) about 1½ % thinner profile.
And even if the same, same chord.

Nice to know, so I wont go for the single mast but keep my monobloc.
The thin tapered end of the tail possible with the Carbon V2 is less drag, and looks great indeed :thumb:
But with the thicker mast I think it goes even up :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Re: Gong High Aspect wings

Postby Eltreato » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 pm

I just find the Gong line a bit overwhelming to try to navigate. I want a single medium to high aspect foil to replace my SS Infinities and am consider a Fluid XL setup or going to a Phantasm PTM 926. I rode a Kujira 980 recently and loved it, but I was in unusually high wind. The Gong website doesn't help in that I can't even see a Fluid XL foil setup with price because it's currently not available, it would be nice to know.

Peter can you tell me a bit more about the Fluid XL setup? What is it like to ride? The Veloce sounds like a bit too much performance for me as I just want to keep up with big swells and avoid breaching.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:45 pm

Fluid XL is my all time favorite, one wing for everything, being average weight.

Turns fine, glides well, start early but can still glide faster than our waves, and not too slow.

Supereasy to ride.

Others here love this very wing too.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Eltreato (Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:41 am

Peter that sounds exactly like what I am after, thanks!

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:18 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:45 pm
Fluid XL is my all time favorite, one wing for everything, being average weight.

Turns fine, glides well, start early but can still glide faster than our waves, and not too slow.

Supereasy to ride.

Others here love this very wing too.

8) Peter
I wonder if one of your high aspect wings is going to take the top spot and become your new “all time favourite”?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:52 pm

Not my all time favorite yet, havent gotten used to the High Aspect Veloce.

More difficult, well at least different, to balance in turns and on waves IMO.
Easy to ride straight, and turns very fast for its span, amazing, but more demanding (or I need to adapt).

But its glide and its range is unbeatable :thumb:

I took my good classic 1480 cm2 Fluid XL out, it felt like a good old pair of pants that just "fits".

Supereasy to ride, but suddenly this old Fluid felt draggy, slow, and no glide so I changed back to the 1145 m2 HA again, despite I am still learning - more fun although challenging, but I am moving now :naughty:

It is a dilemma as I can ride the "easy" wing without thinking, whereas the new one doesnt sit on the backbone, more sensitive but performing on another level.

8) Peter

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:57 am

Evidently, speed makes the difference between down-the-line longboard-style foilsurfing and carving turns and jumps on a wave. Waves are rapid beasts, you need already some decent speed to catch up on a good looking one from behind. For me, low surface HA and ultra HA wings are the only way to go :)

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Any thoughts on the Fluid L-T ? I like the looks of this wing and seems it would be a good choice for most of my conditions but no option to demo.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:53 pm

Tony wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:32 pm
Any thoughts on the Fluid L-T ? I like the looks of this wing and seems it would be a good choice for most of my conditions but no option to demo.

For wingfoil at what weight?

And how experienced?

If experienced and average weight it would be a great "one wing for everything" tool indeed :thumb:

Not too big so not too slow, and not too small so you can start okay early.

And it turns superfast.

Glide okay, but of course surpassed by the (tad more difficult) HA wings.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Tony (Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:11 pm

Tony wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Tony,

I have a couple of sessions on my Fluid LT and really like it a lot. As Peter says it’s very carvy with great high end and reasonable low end. Again like Peter said glide is decent but that’s certainly not its strong suit. Here’s a video of my first flat water session on it in about 13-23 kts. Of course this is from the perspective of a 78kg, 63 yr old strapless (bad right knee) rider. Your profile says you’re in Hatteras(?). I live here too so I’d be more than happy to let you try it out sometime. I use it with the Fluid H 42cm pro stabilizer and pro fuselage.

On another note I’ve finally gotten a few brief flat water sessions on my Fluid LH wing. As designed it has a very efficient fast glide. And it clearly turns better than the only other HA foil I’ve tested (ART 999), However……I’m still not sure if it’s the best fit for my riding style. For downwinders and small surf (what I got it for) I still like to tack constantly and not just connect bumps with a bunch of jibes and luffed gliding/pumping. Even though the Fluid LH turns quite well compared to something like the ART 999, it’s still a 102cm span foil and it’s just not as easy for me to “throw it around” hard especially while tacking. My Fliid LT doesn’t come close to matching the glide BUT my Veloce LT surprisingly does a decent job of keeping up with the Fluid LH when it comes to pumping and glide. Not on the same level but still decent especially for someone with far less than ideal pumping skills like me. I can’t carve the Veloce LT quite as hard as the Fluid LT, but I can still get it to carve/turn much more aggressively than the Fuild LH (90cm versus 102cm).

I guess it just goes to show that everyone’s specific riding style/ability level is different. Still gonna hang onto the Fluid LH for now but I’m not sure it’s going to win out over my Veloce LT. Seems strange to ride two foils that seem so close to each other (Fluid LT and Veloce LT) but they both appear fill a niche for my particular feeble riding style! :lol:

These users thanked the author Dave K for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:39 pm) • Tony (Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:59 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Wingsurfing”