Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gong High Aspect wings

Forum for wing surfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong High Aspect wings

Postby Dave K » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:51 pm
First experiences:

Couldnt jibe the Veloce XLH 1145 cm2, it would try to turn back halfways...
Couldnt surf with wing flagged, it would tilt...

Moved my front foot in over the centerline, and now I could jibe, but too unsteady when riding flagged.

The Fluid M worked great, but tried it after the Veloce XLH, needed some power and speed as only 994 cm2 for my 78 kg, but once riding it was intuitive and easy and turned very fast and surfed well because of the speed.

Next day (today) I tried the XLH again, and found I had to place my front foot quite "normal", and my rear foot far to the leeside edge.

Now it turned really well, amazing for this high span 103 cm feels much smaller turningwise.
But even more important, it was balanced when riding even a small windwave flagged, easy to control.
And could ride forever - amazing glide :thumb:

It has to be "foiled" up at a bit of speed, but still starts quite early and I think it can ride in the same or less wind once up, than my existing wing.
Has incredible speed range also.

Compared to my Fluid XL 1480 cm2.

Cant wait till next time I can get out on the Veloce XLH, it was amazing today as soon as I got myself "adjusted" so to speak :thumb:

In hindsight: I have ridden many wings, but for a looooong time only my Fluid XL and nothing but that foilwing.
Meaning all my body instincts were soooo set on this very wing, that adapting even a small different stance took me a long time :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Thanks for the review Peter. Sounds like your happy with your Fluid HM. My Fluid HL (HA, large) should be here any day now. Really looking forward to trying it.

I did receive my new “pro” fuselage and 42cm Fluid pro stabilizer. Got my first session on it yesterday combined with my Veloce LT and 85cm carbon V2 mast. Very happy with the improvement :D ! Less drag, higher speed, and better glide. Not by huge amounts, but enough to definitely notice. It’s also dead silent, not even the slightest hum, which is often a random intermittent issue with any brand. I think the Gong “pro” fuselage and stabilizers will be a must have with the Fluid/Veloce LT’s and HA models for optimal performance imho…

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:34 pm

Are there already max speed numbers available of the H wings?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:55 pm

Janus wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:34 pm

Don't know what you mean Janus?

Would not make sense as it depends on loads of factors not associated with the very wing :roll:

I think there was a thread about this earlier - I don't find it can ever be correct so did not read through....

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Dave K, what is the difference between the Monobloc carbon and the Carbon V2 mast, do you know?

There is absolutely no dimensions on any of them, as I see it :(

Is the V2 narrower at the bottom thus less drag? But not as stiff most likely...

8) Peter

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Re: Gong High Aspect wi

Postby Dave K » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:46 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:06 pm
Dave K, what is the difference between the Monobloc carbon and the Carbon V2 mast, do you know?

There is absolutely no dimensions on any of them, as I see it :(

Is the V2 narrower at the bottom thus less drag? But not as stiff most likely...

8) Peter
Don’t know about the mast dimension comparison but the V2 carbon is definitely described as stiffer than the previous monobloc in Gong’s description (improved stiffness is pretty much a common theme in all new winging masts these day’s, even at the expense of reduced mast thickness). Gong’s V2 carbon is a mast only construction (like Axis, Lift, Cabrinha, etc) because it was always intended to be compatible with the new “pro” fuselage/stabilizer system. The old style fuselage and stabilizer are shown in the second pic for comparison. I get the impression that Gong is phasing out the monobloc system as existing inventory is sold off (just a guess).
C0ED19EC-FD96-4A13-BBCB-4A72E7E02E80.jpeg
F12AD2C0-7CF5-4909-B809-D622B380D2B8.jpeg

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 am

Gotta get Toby to fix this double posts issue

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:58 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:55 pm
Janus wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:34 pm

Don't know what you mean Janus?

Would not make sense as it depends on loads of factors not associated with the very wing :roll:

I think there was a thread about this earlier - I don't find it can ever be correct so did not read through....

8) Peter
Hi peter,
Yes I know its not just one factor that makes the speed of the foil, its more that I'm interested in the gain of speed compared to the lower aspect wings. (and all other factors the same)
My experience with the Fluids are with the XXLS, L, XLT and MT.
With the MT (950) and kite in low wind conditions I come to 34km/h and with my other brand setup with 1200 wing i come to 40 km/h without problems and you feel no drag compared to the MT in where you feel drag.
Don't understand me wrong, the gain in less drag feeling with the T's is really nice, accelerate much nicer than the normal Fluids (which are fine too), the overall handling is way nicer for me too and the glide is better. But Gong state it's a (much) faster wing (the T's) and it's "only" 4 km/h for me.
Now the same is stated for the H versions and I'm interested in the gain of speed.
btw The XLT turns really nice and fast too, and the MT is great.
So can you measure the gain in speed compared to your XL? with the MH and XLH?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 am

Dave K wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 am

Thanks Dave, nice pics to show the difference - a thin tapered rear fuselage on the new one :thumb:
Could you measure the chord at the bottom on your 85 cm mast?
Thickness is not super easy to measure though, but maybe possible with a caliper now it is not a monobloc.

Regarding double posts, I think it happens because of the daily huge response times, meaning you click submit and nothing happens and of course you click submit again and voila, often you have a double post.

Have seen this often, especially as every morning here in europe we have around an hour where it is almost impossible to reach the site.
Also, when you click "Submit" - often nothing happens, BUT, if you go to the thread in another browser or window, the post HAS been submitted and can be read.
Here a double post will come as one will click submit again - so when there is a "thin" access, this happens more often than not :wink:

8) Peter

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:41 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 am
Dave K wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 am

Thanks Dave, nice pics to show the difference - a thin tapered rear fuselage on the new one :thumb:
Could you measure the chord at the bottom on your 85 cm mast?
Thickness is not super easy to measure though, but maybe possible with a caliper now it is not a monobloc.

Regarding double posts, I think it happens because of the daily huge response times, meaning you click submit and nothing happens and of course you click submit again and voila, often you have a double post.

Have seen this often, especially as every morning here in europe we have around an hour where it is almost impossible to reach the site.
Also, when you click "Submit" - often nothing happens, BUT, if you go to the thread in another browser or window, the post HAS been submitted and can be read.
Here a double post will come as one will click submit again - so when there is a "thin" access, this happens more often than not :wink:

8) Peter
Chord at the the fuselage end of the mast : 13 cm
Mast thickness (lower half): 17.7mm (electronic calipers)

I think it’s pretty decent given the stiffness and comparing to my Axis 19mm Al masts that I still have sitting around.

If your goal is ultimate low drag (speed and glide) just buy a Mikes Lab rig. Nothing comes close. It’ll set you back about $3,200 usd before shipping. I forget the exact price of this Gong rig but it was somewhere around $1,100 usd shipped. Awesome value for the performance
These users thanked the author Dave K for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:42 am

Very high aspect wings on stiff and long carbon masts are usual business in windfoiling. So I installed a Deep Tuttle box at the right (windfoil) position and now I'm winging very happily with my second-hand bought Phantom Iris X freerace setup with a 95cms mast and a 950 and 800 cm2 (94cm wing span) ultra-high aspect wings. Smooth glide, very fast, great for maneuvers and downwinds. Could not try for surfing yet.
These users thanked the author lezo for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Wingsurfing”