Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wingfoil Harness - your experience with current models

Forum for wing surfers
gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wingfoil Harness - your experience with current models

Postby gl » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:49 pm

The back part of the harness is all soft. The webbing strap is sown into the soft part shortly after it enters the sides. So the webbing strap that holds the hook just transfers the weight directly into the soft back part. There does not appear to be any stiffer inlay in the soft back part. That's why it is so comfortable and light. I just leave the hook right where it is and climb on the board. As soon as the hook hits the board it folds over and it's so thin you don't feel it. It has not appeared to have done any damage to the side of my board or the top. I believe that's because it is so thin and folds over so easily. Like I said before the only downside I can see is if you are really leaning heavily into the harness while going up wind, so really loading it heavily, the strap holding the hook will try to pull the two sides together closer which will obviously squeeze you slightly. I can't imagine it's a problem if you're just a recreational rider because if it started to pinch you just ease off a little bit and it doesn't hurt it just squeezes you a bit. I would much rather have that than a rigid harness.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:30 pm

gl wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:49 pm
The back part of the harness is all soft. The webbing strap is sown into the soft part shortly after it enters the sides. So the webbing strap that holds the hook just transfers the weight directly into the soft back part. There does not appear to be any stiffer inlay in the soft back part. That's why it is so comfortable and light. I just leave the hook right where it is and climb on the board. As soon as the hook hits the board it folds over and it's so thin you don't feel it. It has not appeared to have done any damage to the side of my board or the top. I believe that's because it is so thin and folds over so easily. Like I said before the only downside I can see is if you are really leaning heavily into the harness while going up wind, so really loading it heavily, the strap holding the hook will try to pull the two sides together closer which will obviously squeeze you slightly. I can't imagine it's a problem if you're just a recreational rider because if it started to pinch you just ease off a little bit and it doesn't hurt it just squeezes you a bit. I would much rather have that than a rigid harness.
thx again, very helpful !! I live in the german alps and my homespot has thermal gusty winds, so that the harness shall partly support my arms, I guess not more than 20+% of my rides. We shall see. I ordered the harness 5 min ago and curiously look forward to launch it !

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:14 pm

Where I ride is extremely gusty as well. I would be really surprised if you didn't like the harness. My local shop has both of the Dakine harnesses and their wing expert agreed with me that he liked the solo better than the fly.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:46 am

´
Last edited by Da Yoda on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:00 am

I have handful of friends using the Ozone Connect harness and they all really like it. I've been eyeing it based on their feedback. It looks like it has some nice features. I'm not sure how it compares to the other wingfoiling harnesses, but I've heard good things so far.

Based off some of the posts here, this harness might be worth checking out. Prolimit has something new called the Drift. I'd like to see this in person. Sadly Prolimit isn't sold in the US.
https://www.prolimit.com/product/harnes ... ist-drift/

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:34 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:00 am
I have handful of friends using the Ozone Connect harness and they all really like it. I've been eyeing it based on their feedback. It looks like it has some nice features. I'm not sure how it compares to the other wingfoiling harnesses, but I've heard good things so far.

Based off some of the posts here, this harness might be worth checking out. Prolimit has something new called the Drift. I'd like to see this in person. Sadly Prolimit isn't sold in the US.
https://www.prolimit.com/product/harnes ... ist-drift/
thx !
Ozone - I own 2 kites and like them a lot - is out of the game as the fixed metal hook/bar isn't state of the art for a winging application.

Prolimit is close to Mystic Wingman - both good solutions if more back support is requested, Pro Limit taking it one step further. Ion Rogue takes it to the max but their spreader bar keeps the hook from being put out of the board rail impact zone.

The minimalistic approach is a hook like the Ride Engine Nug added to a padded leash belt. Second step being the DaKine as far as I've seen in videos so far, as there still is no hard plate distributing forces to the back. Freedom
of moment and non-permanent usage of the harness is going to be my starting position. I have to see how reality goes.

Return to “Wingsurfing”