Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Second Wing - Light Wind 8m

Postby Eltreato » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 pm

The F-one dealer in my country can't keep the 6/7/8m CWC sizes in stock as they are big sellers. I was on my 6.4 or 6.5, (whatever it is) Slingwing struggling to stay on foil and there was a guy on an 8m CWC getting way more time on foil. While I was flying maybe 50% of the time, he was at about 80%. There is no question in my mind that these are extremely powerful wings and serve people very well in light wind.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:48 pm

I heard that GoFoil is coming out with a 7.5 or 8m wing. Anyone have any experience with GoFoil wings, particularly the larger size ones?

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:17 pm

I used my 9m Gong Superpower 2023 for the first time yesterday, I was tempted with the 8m CWC, but decided that would be too close to my 7m North Nova - the 9m Gong has v good low end power - I was the only wing foiler able to plane, as it was v low wind, not exceeding appx 10knots. The wing feels very nice and easily as stiff as the 7m Nova for pumping & feels very solid when planing - it feels like it develops apparent wind quickly and pulls through lulls nicely. The wing is surprisingly light - i was expecting it to be a lot heavier than the 7m Nova, but feels almost the same weight, or at least no noticeable increase in weight.

The wing does feels a hand full when standing on the board in zero wind, but as soon as there is a puff of wind the wing powers up quickly & with a few pumps, its planing. For me @ 90kgs, on an inland reservoir/lake and someone who is starting to be more consistent with gybes, the 9m Gong is superb.
+ Super low end
+ relatively light
+ canopy very nicely made
- centre strut tube from leading edge is a bit small for inflation
- valves look a bit cheap (yes... I know its a Gong... not a D-lab unit!!)
- battens are a bit fiddly to put in, but work really well
- wish it had rigid handles - but I suppose the loops keep the weight down

Overall I'm v happy & recommend it 100% for super light winds

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 am

At my lake spots in Germany the large wings are very common. It's just a matter of conditions, if you don't need a large wing at your spot of course you will not see many ;)

Sure, after you "mastered" pumping, a smaller wing will do, but at Beginner state the large wing will get you on foil more easy without a perfect pumping routine. I use the Gong SuperPower 7,5m from ~10 knots. Below that I use kites, else I would have bought the 9m.

Wingingit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 195
Local Beach: Lake Lanier
Favorite Beaches: Saint Andrew's Park FL
Style: Wing dinging
Gear: Duotone Gong
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wingingit » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:35 pm

Has anyone compared the 2023 Gong Superpower 7.5 or 9 to the CWC 8m?
I imagine the CWC being lighter, takes off earlier and could be easier to handle in the lightest of winds. I'd really like to know which is easier to pump onto foil. I've been trying to wait for the next model of CWC before I spend that kind of money

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:47 pm

Wingingit wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:35 pm
Has anyone compared the 2023 Gong Superpower 7.5 or 9 to the CWC 8m?
I imagine the CWC being lighter, takes off earlier and could be easier to handle in the lightest of winds. I'd really like to know which is easier to pump onto foil. I've been trying to wait for the next model of CWC before I spend that kind of money
Interesting...a mate has the 8m CWC and could do a back to back comparison, & as mentioned, the 9m SP could not be any easier to pump, as you start pumping it seems to generate a lot of power

Return to “Wingsurfing”