Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Much difference going from 90l to 75l?

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Much difference going from 90l to 75l?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:17 pm

I use the 5'5 85 litre F-One Rocket V2 without strap inserts.

Would have had a 5 to 5'2 board, but then I discovered the V2 had a superthin and light nose, so does not feel big nor swingweight, so 5'5 is much better as it opens up the low end or at least the "slog back when wind dies" option :thumb:

Now there is a V2 5'4 75 litre which might work dandy too as not too short - but not available when I bought mine, the next step was 60 litres and useless for me.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Tony (Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

happywizz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen (The Netherlands)
Style: Foil wave, foil race
Gear: Moses, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby happywizz » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:42 pm

If your weight is 75kg (same as me) I certainly would try a < 70L board.

My track record:

I started with 140L (2 times) => 95L (10 times) => 85L (20 times) => 70L (5 times) => 65L (50 times) => 35L (30 times) => 42.5L (100 times)
Currently my 65L is my low wind board (< 13-14 knots) and my 42.5L is for the rest and my favorite because of the direct feel.

35L was ok with strong stable winds, but I needed always 1 size bigger wings to be comfortable. The 42.5L is perfect, I can use the same wing size as with the 65L.
Only advantage of the 65L is I can get on the board without a gust and then pump for speed. With 42.5L I need a minimum to get on the board. Otherwise there is not much difference to get on the foils as the smaller board is very effective with pumping. Boards I'm using is Groove 65L G-WAVE and Appletree JAZZ FREESTYLE WING 4.6""

If I had to choose one board I would choose the 42.5L and would skip the low wind conditions.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 pm

Why do you think there are so big differences in our areas regarding board sizes used for experienced riders?

I know it is a bit off topic, but I wonder why.

See many posts and videos about the 30 and 40 litre wingfoilboards here, like you happywizz.

But all the top dogs here, as I call them, the ones who can do the high jumps and loops and stuff, and compete in international racing too (in the "good" end that is), dont use such small boards?
They did the first years when trying to find out what worked the best, but not anymore now.

Not in flat water nor in waves.
The best ones (compared to around average weight) go down to 55-60 litres as their high wind board (not as their only board)

We have ALL kinds of wind, not a particular low wind area, Denmark, so it can not be because of that, we see such huge differences.

Or is it because both a 30 litre and a 70 litre board can work perfect - and then some just love the small ones, more than others, and stick to these?

It is really odd, this difference in sizing for the experienced, worldwide :roll:

8) Peter

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 pm
Why do you think there are so big differences in our areas regarding board sizes used for experienced riders?
It is really odd, this difference in sizing for the experienced, worldwide :roll:
8) Peter
Kite foiling had a mass delusion that you aren't be a ripper unless you're on a 10L pocketboard. From what I could see, most pushing this idea were far from ripping.
Same thing in surfing: people riding 25L performance shortboards who can barely surf. They would have so much more fun in the water on an all-rounder but the knifey board looks a lot cooler on the beach and on instagram.
Here we are again ... it is unfortunate to see beginners and low-intermediates struggling with basic functions on gear that is way ahead of their progression. They got bad advice or chased the hype. So it's good to see the mainstream swinging back to more reasonable and realistic board sizes for everyday riding and riders.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Has thanked: 0

Postby BigZ » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:54 am

I am 105kg. I have one board 5'2x25"x90l. I am not skilled enough to go smaller but I don't see much difference in light wind performance between this and other (way bigger) boards that I tried. The bottom line is that heavyweights like me will struggle in less than 12knots no matter what equipment. And when you are in 12knots+ conditions a few extra liters in board volume don't really matter. So a lot is predicated on your weight and unless you are over 100kg you do not understand these equations :wink:

The wind over 20knots is the equalizer . In 20 knots I will be comfortable on a 4m while beginner lightweights will be struggling to get on foil with a 5m.

Return to “Wingsurfing”