Forum for wing surfers
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Much difference going from 90l to 75l?

Postby neilhapgood » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:57 pm

Hi all, as winter sets in I’m wondering if I would get much benefit getting a 75l board for those breezy days, currently on 90l?

I’m normally on flattish water with rolling swell coming through, not riding breaking waves but swell when I can.

I don’t want to go too small with the board as not looking to do anything particularly radical but wondering if I’ll notice much benefit when it’s windy on a slightly smaller boat in terms of handling, I weigh 75kg?

Thanks all

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Much difference going from 90l to 75l?

Postby consumer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:38 pm

It could be a big difference for pumping/turning - BUT make sure to compare weights of the boards. Weight matters more in feeling nimble.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:04 pm

Depends on your size, your local wind and sea conditions, your skill level. I'm same weight. I ride rougher conditions, 99% wave focused.

I copied a sky 5' 75L board found it worked well generally, but on the light side of wind range and in super choppy conditions, it could be a frustrating hassle to waterstart, falling over and over, cursing the gods. However, this was before stinkbug start become a thing, so maybe that resolves it.

I replaced it with a copy of sky 5.4 90L and have found it perfect. Small enough to not have extra weight, big enough to be stable in all conditions. Frankly I see no difference in riding between these "medium" boards, other than easier water starting. I think there's quite a bit of hype in the smaller board pursuit. Going to a surf foil size would be hugely noticeable and a lot of fun -- other than the starts. Short of that, I don't really see they offer much benefit for the cost. See if you can borrow and try out a smaller board before you buy one.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:31 pm

Agree, it is not volume that matters, but weight and weight distribution.

I am two kilos heavier than you, and have used quite some boards.

Went to a supershort 80 litre board 4'10, but it was too short which was very uncomfortable in light winds, but also heavy winds when difficult waves.

Changed to an 85 litre 5'5 with a superthin and light nose.

It meant the swing weight was equally good, but the ease in light wind or waves was sooooo much better.

It did not answer your question, I know, but would just say that volume isnt everything, too short can be a big problem.

If you want two boards, a big and a small one, a short one might be fine (just not for me)
But for a "one board for everything", be careful not to go too small.

There was a trend earlier, going smaller and smaller, but this has reversed now, and it seems many find a "reasonably" size for everything instead now.

8) Peter

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:48 pm

You will definitely feel a difference at 75L, but as others have said - the dimensions are critical. I agree not to go too short (probably aim for 4'10" - 5'0"). My personal preference is that the narrower shapes feel much sportier and build speed to take off better as well (I like ~23").

My opinion is that you can easily get away with volume neutral, and shouldn't be too afraid to go slightly lower, particularly if you keep the 90L. I'm a similar weight (77-80 kg) and rode a 90L board last year. This year I got a 60L and have only touched the 90L on the lightest days. I have no problem with the 60L down to 13 knots or so, and in my opinion, the weight, narrower width, and thinner board make it handle significantly better than the 90L. I swear I can feel the stiffness in the 60L vs the 90L due to being closer to the foil (both boards are identical construction) - particularly when pumping. My ideal quiver would probably be a 60L and a 75-80L for the days when the conditions get really chaotic with chop and current and you need the ability to get onto foil fast (similar to what @juandesooka mentioned). Too much volume can get corky in those conditions.
Last edited by StellaBlu on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:50 am

i'm 90 kgs and went from 98L to 75L. I found I felt somehow 'separated' from the foil on the 98L board, as it was short but very thick (4'11"L, almost 5" thick). Getting up on the 75L (5'4" and thin) isn't that bad, no stinkbug or such required. It is partially submerged when I'm on my knees, but the second I get the wing overhead, I'm good. It is certainly harder on rougher days, but still doable. Once up, it is much more fun than the 98L...which I haven't been on since getting the 75L. BTW, I still consider myself a beginner at winging so no great skills here. At your weight you'll have no problem with 75L board, but as others have said, volume isn't everything and recommend longer, thinner, narrower.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:10 pm

Just talking about getting started at my low intermediate level:

Smaller is better in some conditions and bigger in others.

A shallow starting point, sandbars just downwind, onshore wind, light wind and especially lulls favor the higher volume board.

For me the higher center of gravity in a bigger board makes getting to knees position in bigger chop and waves near impossible. Other people must have better ability to balance on the pitching and rolling board than me. So in bigger chop I choose the smaller board just because I can get on it and not for a weight difference of 1 kg. But I need more wind and possibly a more side shore launch.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:21 pm

This is a very timely thread for me.
I've had access to winging setups at my local shop and am debating which board size to get.

Me: 80kg beginner winger, experienced kite foiler.

I have no trouble riding a 90L board, getting up on foil and going both directions. No jibes or tacks though so lots of restarts.

I tried a 78L board one day in too light conditions and I don't have the pumping skills yet.
I was able to get up on the board standing multiple times (stink bug) and slog through the water but not get on foil.

I'm debating 75L 5.0 vs 85L 5.2.

Should I challenge myself with the 75L or be a little more conservative and go with the 85L?
One one hand the 75L could be a one board for all for a long time but I'm guessing it'll slow my progress initially.
The 85L (or 90L) will make things easier and as I progress I can downsize or add a second board.

Some of the experienced wingers are telling me to go 75L but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?
Tony

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:50 am

You should definitely not choose the 85 for "learning" purposes.

You need (quite some) more wind when learning anyways, so not much gain in this period now you can go in both directions, as a smaller board is usually easy when windy.

I am 78 kg and would probably choose 85 instead of 75, as I found so many advantages and no disadvantages when board is light (and nose is light), and I only want one board.

A few of the top dogs has a 60 or 70 litre board (guys weighing 80-85 kg), but they have at least two boards, and never use the small ones when wind on the light side.
Has happened often they come ashore (after a long time, sitting on a small board trying to get ashore fast) and pick a bigger board.
No problem if you have two boards, but unless you KNOW you wont have lulls or softer wind, I really dislike too small a board.
Amazed to read in the other thread that some have 30 or 40 litre boards (only?), as this is not what works for anyone here, not even the top freestylers...

But as said, area is more important than volume IMO, so not too short and thick seems to work a lot better (for me)

Cant tell you what to do, only that you should NOT choose the 85 to speed learning up.
You should choose it, or the 75, if you think it is your best "one board for all" when you are experienced :thumb:

Some of us "average to okay good foilers" prefer 75 l, others 80 l, and then some 85 l, if average weight, but bigger than that, no way, and smaller rarely or not used.
The outline and length and weight is a lot more important though, than the volume.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Tony (Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:06 pm

Great feedback Peter.
What board are you riding out of curiosity?
I’ve ridden the 90L AK Phaser some and it feels more connected to the foil than others, is relatively light and easy to get going but is a bit long at 5’6”
I like the shape and volume distribution but the tracks are shorter so you have less adjustability.
I think the right board in the 80 to 85 liter range is the right one.
I’m also not a fan of the short thick boards.
Will try to get a demo of the 78 L 5’4” phazer.
Other board suggestions out there that are light weight, reasonable length?

Tony

Return to “Wingsurfing”