Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: How to protect hands in cold water when winging

Postby juandesooka » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:08 am

Cold fingers sux. It is a pretty significant detriment to winging for about 2 months a year where we are.
I could suffer through it with ozones with the bagged out canvas strap handles...but my OR wing with the thick eva foam, I cannot hold them when it gets cold...like not physically possible. Last year I thought about tying on some canvas strapping below the handle, can hang off those when the grip becomes impossible.
Agree that thinner is better, the 5mm you lose so much circulation and grip issues, they don't really help. My go to has been dishwashing gloves with thin neoprene diving gloves over top. Or 3mm wetsuit gloves.
Finally, an accidental discovery that actually works...you go out in cold conditions, your fingers immediately get numb cold, you come back to the beach after 5 mins or so....walk around for a few minutes, get the hammer fingers, the screaming ya ya's where it feels like someone hit your fingers with a hammer....then after about 5mins they will feel warm and from there you get an hour or more of comfortable winging. I have heard this is cold weather military training. A buddy said this is really bad for your fingers, arthritis maybe (?), but it does work.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:25 am

As written before, the windsurfers have had this problem for a long time as the boom has a thicker diameter than a kite bar. Here is a windsurfers hack. In German, so you have to run it through a translator. Rubber kitchen gloves plus MTB gloves underneath for warmth: https://www.dailydose.de/story-surfhand ... he%20&pg=1
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
mede (Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:49 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Breze » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:29 am

@ juandesooka
This is called the Hunting (Lewis) reaction https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_reaction

Possible side effects: Have a look at "Non-freezing cold injury" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite ... old_injury

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:45 am

Personally, in the main, I just use marigolds. For a while one of the “everything for a £” outlets supplied a marigold equivalent which were black outside and orange inside. These functioned just as well but we’re a little more fragile but I preferred this to bright yellow. Can’t seem to find them anymore and unfortunately I did not bother to note the manufacturer; anybody know what these were or know where they can be obtained???

I don’t really have to push the limits around here but I am a fan of having a flask of warm water to pour a little in the gloves and any other orifice that is going to give a little moral boost. I also try to protect my circulation by avoiding tight wetsuit arms and making sure rash vests are smooth and not rucked up in donning. I also use centrifugal force to encourage blood into the hands by plenty free hand lowering and flicking, before they get too cold. I can usually avoid going through the hunting cycle this way but I normally wimp out as far as water goes at <6 or 7°C. Ask a Canadian about gloves!

PS Stay as warm as possible before you go out, don’t wonder around the beach losing core heat, rig in a good coat etc. Obvious but surprisingly important imho!!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:54 pm)

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:10 pm

Tbh...I now have to be pretty desperate to bother below 5c....just too painful

But back in the frenzy stoked days,we'd attempt to kite sub zero. I started into an experiment...2 rubber tunebs run through wetsuit into gloves, exiting at neck. You can blow some warm breath into gloves. Worked in tests. But would it actually help? Dunno...never tried it on the water. Someone try and post it up:-)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:09 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:07 pm
What was working for me back then were neoprene mittens with open palms. That means that the grip on the boom/handles is mostly unaffected, and the only purpose of the glove is to protect the fingers from the wind chill, which is typically the main factor.
Looks like Prolimit and Ion are producing some.
I love open palm mitts but find they don't keep you as when warm using wings with strap handles. The kite bar or boom mostly covers up the palm opening, but the strap handles leave the palm wide open. Going to try these other ideas of thin gloves under the open mitts.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:54 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:09 pm
I love open palm mitts but find they don't keep you as when warm using wings with strap handles. The kite bar or boom mostly covers up the palm opening, but the strap handles leave the palm wide open. Going to try these other ideas of thin gloves under the open mitts.
Buy closed palm and cut away just where the handle sits to get a custom open palm one!

But still, if your core cools down you can put on as much hand protection as you want. They will get cold as your body pulls away all the blood to keep your vital organs warm. So when experiencing cold hands first try to make sure your core is close to overheating while active to maintain blood flow in your fingers.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 pm)

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:14 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Don't use gloves, get your core, head, arms and feet as warm as possible while constantly being active too keep your muscles producing heat. If your hands and face are the only places to vent the excess heat they won't get cold. This works up to 6deg C.

Don't sit idle outside and preferably change your wetsuit under the shower if you have the option to drive home in your wetsuit while warming up in the car.
You're talking about six degrees, the OP is interested in protecting their hands in cold weather.

airic
Rare Poster
Gear: surf tomo evo

Postby airic » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:44 am

I bought this product and I will try it very soon, the cold water is arriving in canada .

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:45 am

In late autum and winter I use below tips to protect me from cold:
Usually you have enough fuel in your body (fat and carbohydrates).
What is lacking, its oxygen.
Changing into deep, abdominal breathing increases the lungs area and promotes more intensive O2 absorption and CO2 release.
This way you will deliver more oxygen to your cells, so they can burn carbs or fats to increase your local temperature if needed.
Risk of hyperentilation is very low, as those cells will produce enough CO2 to keep its level high enough. Additionaly, kitesurfing intensifies your muscle movments and that also produces enough CO2 to protect you from hyperventilation effects.

Stay safe
Tadeusz

Return to “Wingsurfing”