Early planning board recommendation

Forum for wing surfers
flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Early planning board recommendation

Postby flaps1111 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Which board would be recommended for early planning in 2021/22? 110 litres for gusty lake winds and also usable at sea.
At the moment I see that they recommend Naish hover 5,10, Fanatic Sky wing 5,6 Gong Flint 5,6 Jp x wing....
This time I didn't want long boards because from experience the shorter the better for hydrofoiling but it seems that this does not work the same in wingfoil below 18 knots, so I discard the Gong Mint 5.2 or even Gong lemon 5.4 I'm very stoke with my Groove 110cm but the prices of the custom boards are around or over 2000 euros, I think it's crazy. The board would have to be paired with the Sabfoil w1100/82 kit. I weigh 87kg.
Thanks in advance.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Early planning board recommendation.

Postby ronnie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:24 pm

Some of the thinking on that depends on what you want to do and whether you want to use high aspect foil wings etc.

A lot of it is discussed already in this discussion.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index ... 4e874cmk47
These users thanked the author ronnie for the post:
flaps1111 (Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:19 pm

Generally speaking no board is early planning, more, it is the foil. As long as the board floats you reasonably, any more volume in the board is just drag and weight. I ride a 40 liter board in low winds at 155 pounds, but I put on a bigger foil. Two pumps with the wing and I'm foiling in 10-12pmh winds.

So, my 70kg weight on a 40 liter board is considered -30.

The real point though is two-fold. One, this year I'm riding the duotone Dlabs which seem to have mega power. I can ride the 5.5 down to 8mph when need be. The newer and more powerful wings make a difference. The second point is the secret sauce is in the foil much more than the board. At a certain point (well, at -30 for me) the volume of the board just doesn't help as much as a bigger foil.

And, actually, thirdly, I notice with all wingers that as we progress, getting on foil is easier and easier. When I ride tiny foils I start on a 50 liter board to get an idea of the speed I need to hit to get on foil, and some of the tiny foils are harder to get going on with tiny boards (tiny being 25 - 35 liter).

But I just cringe getting on anything over 60 liter. The drag is just unbearable as well as the windage and weight once on foil.

I hope that helps!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
flaps1111 (Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:38 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:06 pm

Disagree....

Some boards will get you up on foil a lot earlier, a mix between volume and length and shape and trailing edge rocker and edge shape.

You have a really big (2100 cm2) efficient wing, so if you get an efficient board, you are on your way to the earliest possible foiling wingboard IMO.

Also, you are on a difficult spot where wind might drop and you need to be able to get up on the board and "slog" back to land, so size is important.

Agree with you, that a shorter board might one be able to pump harder to foil - but there is still a big downside in not being able to generate sufficient forward gliding speed.
It is all a tradeoff between things here :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
flaps1111 (Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:39 pm)

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:25 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:06 pm
Disagree....

Some boards will get you up on foil a lot earlier, a mix between volume and length and shape and trailing edge rocker and edge shape.

You have a really big (2100 cm2) efficient wing, so if you get an efficient board, you are on your way to the earliest possible foiling wingboard IMO.

Also, you are on a difficult spot where wind might drop and you need to be able to get up on the board and "slog" back to land, so size is important.

Agree with you, that a shorter board might one be able to pump harder to foil - but there is still a big downside in not being able to generate sufficient forward gliding speed.
It is all a tradeoff between things here :wink:

8) Peter
Rats. Don't like it when people disagree with me! Ha! Where we live is windy, so maybe my perception is off. Not sure. I do appreciate varied opinions though. Personally I am dropping the wing altogether for winter dock pumping (on something like a 10 liter board!) and foil surfing (currently on a beginner board which feels huge at 42 liters but will be riding my 29 liter soon). Anyway, Peter has good advice so perhaps ditch mine!

Return to “Wingsurfing”