Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Wing Foil Nightmare - Court In The Act Free Ride Vlog

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:35 pm

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Wing Foil Nightmare - Court In The Act Free Ride Vlog

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:11 pm

I have to admit, though I hate to see anyone have to go through such an event, it’s a good reminder that even the pros aren’t immune from the struggle. I know that for me so far, I have ended up several times at the edge of near complete exhaustion. At least in my case, I’ve only had docks and seawalls to deal with, as opposed to rocky cliffs and caves. Lol

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby a99 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:49 am

It is exausting process because we/he in such situation trying also to carry two separate things - board and kite/wing. If you are free without them than it is not such energy spending process. Of course cold water is also energy consuming factor.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:46 am

Mistake was trying to save the wing, should have just dumped it and then could have made it to the beach on board alone. I have dumped a deflated kite out at sea to swim back with just my surfboard (about a mile out). Can't imagine what he was thinking, he's a pro with unlimited gear replacement, I am just a regular guy who has to purchase a replacement kite.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 pm

Why did the tow fail, was it because there was too much drag from the wing. How difficult are they to packdown? Do the ones with booms have tip dump valves to allow the boom to be used as a winder?? …… I know that is easy armchair analysis!

In the old windsurfing days towing a guy on a board was fairly easy (rig retrieved afterwards by separate tow if you were lucky). Is it harder to tow a foil, does it become the donkey tied to back of the train swinging from side to side looking to see where to overtake? Or can that tendency be negated by a bit of tail drag?? How slow does the tow have to be to keep the boards on the surface and is there a serious balance issue?

My comments and questions are only out of curiosity as I have yet to dabble in this dark art. Seems like a big scary dagger in a shore break, character building stuff!!

Excellent vid, and excellent dad equipped with booties!! First thing I do if I see a mate heading towards the rocks is go and get something on my feet!!
Last edited by Herman on Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:19 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:46 am
Mistake was trying to save the wing, should have just dumped it and then could have made it to the beach on board alone. I have dumped a deflated kite out at sea to swim back with just my surfboard (about a mile out). Can't imagine what he was thinking, he's a pro with unlimited gear replacement, I am just a regular guy who has to purchase a replacement kite.
Exactly. Lesson nr 2, in marginal winds and sea always kite/wing with cheapest possible gear in case if you loose it and will be no temptation to save expensive gear risking your life.

Return to “Wingsurfing”