Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The 2022 Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:52 pm

WingFoil pioneers ready to race on Lake Garda

HIGHLIGHTS

- 4 days of long-distance and short-course racing out of Campione Univela on the western shore of Lake Garda
- Riders from all kinds of watersports background - kiting, sailing, skiing etc
- Open competition with a huge array of different equipment
- 52 competitors, some travelling from as far as New Caledonia in the South Pacific‍

DJI_0175.jpg

The 2022 Sabfoil Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships has attracted 52 pioneering riders to the western shore of Lake Garda in the north of Italy. Wingfoiling has exploded as a new recreational sport across the world, and increasingly some competitive-minded riders are looking to raise it to the next level and put their high-speed skills to test on a race course.

Over the next four days, from 19 to 22 October, the riders will compete in a variety of long-distance and short-course formats to see who emerges as the men’s and women’s champions of the Sabfoil Wingfoil World Cup. The event is hosted by Campione Univela on the western shore of Lake Garda.

In just a few years, Campione Univela has established itself as one of the go-to training and racing venues for all types of wind-powered high-performance machines. Wingfoil racing is one of the newest and least developed forms of hydrofoiling sport, and there is a feeling this week of being at the cutting edge of a new wave of a sport that is moving rapidly from being purely a fun beach pasttime to a seriously fun form of high-performance competition.

The experience in the fleet varies enormously, from the likes of 18-year-old Margherita Barro (ITA) who only stepped on to a wingfoil board three months ago to early adopters such as 45-year-old Gunnar Biniasch (GER) who has been a keen winger pretty much since the sport began.

The equipment also varies wildly, and the great aspect of the open format is to help speed up the understanding of what works best on a race course. Part of that is driven by the ever-improving skills of the riders where the learning curve in such a new sport continues to go up at a steep rate. The better they become at manoeuvres and straight-line skills, the smaller the foils they need to power themselves along, and the faster they go. Biniasch, for example, has clocked up a peak speed of 39.5 knots on his foil, and predicts average downwind speeds this week will regularly hit the low to mid 30s.

Jimmy Mazzanti, the owner of successful foil design and manufacturing firm, Sabfoil, is excited to be sponsoring the event. “We did a similar event a year ago but the level was nothing like what we are seeing today,” said Mazzanti. “I have seen how many riders have grown their skill level and it’s getting serious. I think this event is a milestone for a sport that at the beginning people were complaining wasn’t fast enough. Now there has been so much development to the wing and the foils, we are seeing the performance really coming on. I mean, a boat that does more than 30 knots and only costs about 5000 euros, that’s not so bad, is it?”

Wingfoil racing is attracting riders of all ages and generations. Martin Aldridge campaigned for the Olympics on conventional windsurfers back in the 90s. Now in his 50s, the British rider is a wingfoiling addict. His daughter, Ellie Aldridge, is campaigning for the Paris 2024 Games on a foiling kiteboard and only last Sunday won the bronze medal at the Formula Kite World Championships in Cagliari, Sardinia.

Now she has flown up to the north of Italy to catch up with her dad as well as compete against him on the wingfoil. “I haven’t had a chance to do it in the past couple of months,” said Ellie, “so I felt a bit rusty on the lake this morning but the feeling’s starting to come back again.” Even if she’s short on practice, Ellie’s competitive instinct is bound to kick in. “If you’re wondering which of us is going to be faster this week, I think I know where the smart money would go,” laughed Martin modestly.

Like many gathered in Campione, Paula Novotná is new to wingfoil racing but she’ll be relying on her skills as a professional freestyle kiteboarder to help her get to grips with a new discipline. “I’ve been a professional freestyler for about 10 years,” said the Czech rider. “I really love do to tricks in the air but I’m really enjoying learning the racing side of things now.” She’s been wingfoiling for almost two years and competed at an event in Greece earlier this summer. “We did some slalom races but I haven’t done much course racing yet. It's great experience for me to learn here and to to compete against the other girls. And it's the beginning of the sport so I'm really excited to be here.”

Some riders have come from as far afield as Puerto Rico and San Francisco, but the record for furthest distance travelled surely goes to the riders from New Caledonia in the South Pacific.

Racing begins on Wednesday morning with up to three long distance races on the schedule, with a target time of 30 minutes for the first to finish. On Thursday the short-course competition begins in qualifying groups, culminating with gold fleet racing on the final day this weekend.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: The 2022 Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:19 pm

Flying Sicilian Cappuzzo wins long distance contest

HIGHLIGHTS

- Two long-distance races completed
- Close battles at the front, riders finishing within seconds of each other
- Francesco Cappuzzo from Sicily wins both long distance races
- Ellie Aldridge from Great Britain leads the women’s field

Day_1_02.jpg

The 2022 Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships got off to a flying start with two long distance races for the 52 international athletes.

In both races, Francesco Cappuzzo from Sicily came from behind on the 10km course, saving his best for last on the final high-speed reach across the finish line, stealing the winner’s gun on both occasions from the 19-year-old Frenchman, Mathis Ghio. Another Italian, Luca Franchi was third in both races, which took place in winds of 8 to 14 knots on a Z-shaped course. In the women’s division, Ellie Aldridge from Great Britain, takes an early lead in the competition with scores of 3,1.

Using a ‘rabbit start’ procedure, the whole fleet - male and female - surged out of the line on port tack behind the powerboat that opened the starting line gate. The upwind leg tested the skills and techniques of the riders to maintain a high lane and to judge the layline to the top mark. A year ago, upwind riding was barely achievable but the game has moved on quickly and racing to windward is one of the defining skills of 2022.

Cappuzzo was satisfied with his opening morning of racing. “The wind was shifting a lot and it was really hard to overtake people. It was really hard to do a good upwind was but I was feeling pretty fast downwind and pushed hard at the end. I was tied with Mathis all the way to the end of the first race but just beat him, and it was close with him in the next one too. It’s great racing and we are learning race by race, moment by moment, how to go faster with the wing.”

Although narrowly beaten by Cappuzzo, Ghio was still very happy with the racing. “I’m really stoked about it, and it was really tight battles with Francesco, and for the next days I hope for the same, to be in front this time,” smiled the Marseille rider. “I need to be more focused on my strategy and keep a closer out for other riders like Francesco, not just on myself.”

Aldridge’s hands were suffering from the exertions of the long-distance winging. She has just completed the Formula Kite World Championships in Sardinia where she won the bronze medal in the high-level Olympic competition. For the British rider, here with her father also competing, the wingfoil racing is a chance to test herself in another style of watersports away from her Olympic campaign.

“In the first race I was using the bigger wing but kept on dragging the tip in the water and crashing,” said Aldridge, who also regretted ditching her harness when she came ashore to change down to a smaller wing size. “I was more comfortable with the smaller wing and going well upwind in the lighter winds, because I’ve got a fairly big foil to lean on. But my hands were starting to feel it by the end of those long races, and the shoulders were aching too.” Not having wingfoiled for a couple of months, Aldridge is rediscovering some underused muscles. “That was pretty tiring, but good fun.” Lying second behind Aldridge in the women’s racing is Maddalena Maria Spanu from Italy who scored 2,3 from the two long distance races.

From the results of the long distance races, the men’s fleet has been regrouped into three qualifying groups for the short-course racing that will continue for the coming two days of competition. The on Saturday is the finale, with the top riders going through to the gold fleet showdown. The women will race in their own distinct short-course group.

RESULTS AFTER 2 RACES

MEN
1. Francesco Cappuzzo (ITA), 0.6 points
2. Mathis Ghio (FRA), 1.4 points
3. Luca Franchi (ITA), 2.0 points

WOMEN

1. Ellie Aldridge (GBR), 4.0 points
2. Maddalena Maria Spanu (ITA), 5.0 points
3. Marta Monge (ITA), 11.0 points

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:45 am

Novotna & Ghio slalom into Garda lead

HIGHLIGHTS

- Four short-course slalom races completed in quick morning session
- 8 to 13 knots of northerly Peller wind
- Czech rider Paula Novotná takes hold of the women’s competition
- Frenchman Mathis Ghio carves his way into the overall lead
- Gear choice is the never ending dilemma for all riders

day 2.jpg

Paula Novotná (CZE) and Mathis Ghio (FRA) have moved into the overall women’s and men’s lead on day two of the 2022 Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships on Lake Garda, Italy.

It was an early start to racing so that the 52 international riders could catch the best of the morning breeze on Italy’s most famous lake for high performance watersports. As the sun rose over Univela Campione, the venue for the wingfoilers on the western shore of Garda, the morning Peller breeze built in strength. Principal race officer Mirco Babbini sent the women’s fleet and three men’s qualifying groups out for some fast-turnaround slalom competition.

Yesterday’s master of the long distance, Francesco Cappuzzo (ITA), was less than satisfied with his performance. “I was leading the first race but I messed it up because I took the wrong mark. I gybed in the wrong place and my mind went a bit off after that and I struggled to come back [mentally].”

Although one of the bigger, more powerful riders in the pack, Cappuzzo says he’s normally very comfortable in the lighter breeze although admits he got his equipment choice wrong today. This is an open event, so anything goes - size of foil, size of wing, volume of board - whatever. While free choice sounds like a tempting form of freedom, it actually creates challenging dilemmas for the riders as they look out at the variable, patchy breeze on Garda.

“I wasn’t happy with my gear choice,” said Cappuzzo who has slipped from first to 7th in the overall rankings, “but after what happened yesterday [winning both races] I feel I can do it. In this kind of racing, it’s never over until it’s over and I hope for enough races to make a comeback.”

Mathis Ghio was leading his first heat until a crash on the final gybe. “I was not really focused on the job,” admitted the 19-year-old from Marseille. “I was thinking about my opponents just behind me and getting used to the race course format. I was not really sure where to make the gybe and when you’re thinking about something else other than your riding and your sailing, that’s when you crash. You have to be 100% focused on what you’re doing or things go wrong quickly.”

Ghio finished fourth in the first heat of Blue Group but no such mistakes in the next heats. Three straight bullets launch the Frenchman into the overall lead. Also pleased with his performance in Blue Group was 44-year-old Gunnar Biniasch (GER) who just wants to be the top master from the World Cup.

“I can’t hang on to these teenagers,” said Biniasch this morning before racing.

By the time he came ashore Biniasch had revised his opinion. “That was much better than I expected. I was finishing 4th or 5th in my heats, and only a couple of seconds behind Mathis. So I'm super stoked. I didn't think I would be able to keep up with those guys. I thought I was going to be more middle of my fleet. But I'm starting pretty good and I'm keeping pace. It's just maybe I’m playing it a bit too safe on the reaches. I’m not looking to push it though, I’m trying not to crash. If I can scrape into Gold Fleet on Saturday I’ll be happy.”

Paula Novotná (CZE) looked very comfortable and quick on the downwind slalom course and moved to the front of the women’s competition. Ceris Orane (FRA) moved up to third overall behind Ellie Aldridge (GBR) who drops off the top spot into second, not that surprising considering the full-time kitefoiler is new to the slalom game. “I’m learning all the time and I had no idea about what angles to sail downwind,” said Aldridge. “I was going for pressure, going for building the speed on a broad reach and then I looked around and everyone else was just going straight downwind and pumping. So I’m learning fast.”

Novotná and Orane were impressed by Aldridge’s start line judgement. “Ellie was fast off the line,” said Novotná. “I was holding back because I didn’t want a disqualification but I need to improve my timing.” Orane added: “Paula was super quick and she was faster than me but maybe I was quicker in the manoeuvres. But my starting was bad too, it’s a big area for improvement.”

Everyone is on such a steep learning curve, there’s a great sense of adventure and discovery at the Sabfoil Wingfoil Racing World Cup. Rafferty Read (GBR) is loving the cross-fertilisation of ideas about how to make a wingfoil go faster. “There’s so many different wings and foils and boards here, and it’s great to see what other people are using. There’s a lot to learn about gear and about techniques. This racing is telling me I need to work on my manoeuvres and short, sharp decision making and stuff like that. This is a great event to soak up knowledge.”

The men’s fleet continues to compete in three qualifying groups for the short-course racing until the end of Friday. Saturday is the finale, with the top riders going through to the gold fleet showdown. The women will continue to race in their own distinct short-course group.

RESULTS AFTER 6 RACES

MEN
1. Mathis Ghio (FRA), 4.4 points
2. Alessandro Tomasi (ITA), 5.3 points
3. Clement Colmas (FRA), 7.0 points

WOMEN
1. Paula Novotná (CZE), 5.0 points
2. Ellie Aldridge (GBR), 9.0 points
3. Ceris Orane (FRA), 9.0 points

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:04 pm

No Racing gives Novotna chance to pick up the phone

Not enough wind on Lake Garda meant no racing for day three of the 2022 Sabfoil Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships in Italy.

Saturday is the final day of competition when the men’s fleet is split into gold, silver and bronze fleets while the women continue to race together in their own group.

Currently French rider Mathis Ghio (FRA) holds the lead in the men’s competition, while Czech pro rider Paula Novotná (CZE) leads the women. Only last week the 29-year-old became overall winner of the 2022 GWA Wingfoil Surf-Freestyle World Tour, and now she is bidding to come out on top in the racing discipline too.

Since winning in Tarifa, Spain, last week, Novotná’s success on water has brought her a lot of attention from her landlocked home of the Czech Republic. “I’ve been getting a lot of calls from the Czech media and I’m going on the TV this Monday after I get back home from Garda,” said the rider who has been busy on the phone today. “Hopefully I’ll get even more of a media boost if I manage to win here too,” she added.

Although Novotná has been winging for only two years she has been a pro rider for a decade in the world of freestyle kiteboarding. “I love kiteboarding and winging but I see a great future for wingfoiling as it’s not as fast and you don’t hurt yourself so much. So it’s popular with women and with older people because it’s not too high impact when you crash, and I think the sport is only going to get bigger.”

Novotná admits her racing experience is limited and has been impressed with the skills of new wingfoiling convert, Ellie Aldridge (GBR) who is lying second in the women’s rankings this week. “Ellie is very good on the race course, at her starting and understanding everything about the tactics,” said Novotná of the British rider who was third in the Formula Kite World Championships in Sardinia last week. “Once she gets more comfortable with the wing and the foil she’ll be really fast.”

Beyond Garda and her TV appearances in the Czech Republic next week, Novotná is looking forward to two months of winging in Brazil, including competing at the upcoming Wingfoil Racing World Cup in Jericoacoara, one of the most famous kiting and winging spots in the country.

On Saturday morning the riders will get up early to see if they can catch the best of the morning breeze for the final day of competition at Univela Campione.

RESULTS AFTER 6 RACES

MEN

1. Mathis Ghio (FRA), 4.4 points
2 Alessandro Tomasi (ITA), 5.3 points
3. Clement Colmas (FRA), 7.0 points

WOMEN

1. Paula Novotná (CZE), 5.0 points
2. Ellie Aldridge (GBR), 9.0 points
3. Ceris Orane (FRA), 9.0 points

day2.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Francesco Cappuzzo (ITA) and Paula Novotná (CZE) have won the men’s and women’s fleets after a stormy finale to the Wingfoil Racing World Cup & Open European Championships on Lake Garda in Italy.

HEADLINES

- Strong northerly winds of 15 to 20 knots
- Upwind starts put the wingfoilers fully to the test on 5 minute short courses
- Francesco Cappuzzo has an amazing comeback to win the men’s title
- Paula Novotná wins 5 straight bullets to dominate the women’s competition

wing.jpg

After a morning of rain squalls blasting down from the northern end of Garda, a weather window opened up in the afternoon for some short-course racing. While the women continued to race in one fleet, the men were re-allocated to gold, silver and bronze fleets. Five short-course races took place in 15 to 20 knots northerly wind, with an upwind start putting the wingfoilers fully to the test.

3-BULLET SURGE PUTS CAPPUZZO ON TOP
After a difficult day two, Francesco Cappuzzo (ITA) needed to make up the lost ground and see if he could haul himself up to the podium after leading the event on day one. Cappuzzo duly delivered, rising up from 7th at the start of the day to steal the title from Mathis Ghio (FRA) by less than a point. Cappuzzo won the last three heats, and his last-gasp efforts rewarded him with victory and the European title.
So close were the points, Cappuzzo didn’t know where he had finished as he stepped ashore. As soon as he was told the good news, the Sicilian burst into humble celebration. “I can’t believe it! I still don’t believe it. I am shaking. I didn’t really enjoy the start of the day as the guys went out with the coloured bibs and I was way down. I had a crash in the second race and then I thought this really wasn’t my week. But then I decided to do my best, and I really like this upwind and downwind format, and I got faster with each race. This is an amazing feeling to have won this event.”

ALL KINDS OF RACING FORMATS
Ghio was disappointed to have come so close to winning and not quite keep hold of the title that look set to go his way. Ever the gracious sportsman, the 19-year-old French rider said he would learn from his mistakes and come back stronger for the next World Cup event in Brazil in two months’ time. “I have never been to Brazil before and I’m really looking forward to competing there. I really love all the formats we do - the different mix of upwinds and downwinds, the short and the long distance. It’s a very good all-round test of winging.”
Finishing the day with three 2nd places was Luca Franchi (ITA) who rose to 3rd place overall in the men’s competition.

wing 2.png

THE QUEEN OF WINGFOILING
Paula Novotná (CZE) scored five straight bullets and dominated the women’s competition this week. After being crowned overall winner of the 2022 GWA Wingfoil Surf-Freestyle World Tour last week in Tarifa, Spain, the Czech rider is looking like the most complete wingfoil athlete in the world. The Queen of the freestyle and racing formats.
“I'm super stoked because I'm just getting into racing and I really need to get more comfortable on upwind sailing and today I think I did a good job,” said Novotná. “I was a bit late on the starts but I'm fast. So I told myself, ‘I’m going to catch the girls and always win the race’, and I managed to do that.” She hugged Cappuzzo as he found out he’d won the men’s contest. “Congratulations to Francesco, my long-time friend from kiteboarding. And now we go together to Brazil and I can’t wait.”

RAPID GROWTH OF WINGFOIL RACING
Last week was also a special one for Ellie Aldridge (GBR) who took the bronze medal at the Formula Kite World Championships in Sardinia. While the Olympic campaign on the high-speed kitefoil is Aldridge’s ‘day job’, she also considers the wingfoil to be a useful form of cross-training. As well as the opportunity to spend time with her dad Martin Aldridge, the former Olympic windsurfer racing in the men’s bronze fleet.

“I was really happy to get the bronze last week in the kitefoiling, and then decided to come here to see what wingfoil racing was all about and for a bit of holiday. It's just really exciting to see this new sport grow and be part of it as well. Anyone can jump on a wingfoil and start learning how to do it, and it’s great to meet people from so many completely different backgrounds.”

Orane Ceris (FRA) finished third in the women’s fleet although only a point in front of Maddalena Spanu (ITA) who nearly pipped her to the podium. “I made a lot of mistakes today and have a lot to learn,” said Ceris. “For Brazil I will keep my gear the same, no equipment changes. I just need to work on my starts and tactics and do the right training to be better for Brazil.”

BRING ON BRAZIL!
The next event on the circuit comes up in December, when the Wingfoil Racing World Cup moves to Jericoacoara, one of the most celebrated watersports venues on the coast of Brazil. Located less than 200 miles south of the Equator, the event promises a warm-weather escape for riders from the chill of the northern hemisphere. It’s also the next qualifying event for the ANOC World Beach Games due to take place in Bali next August, so the wingfoil competition should be as hot as the Brazilian weather.

OVERALL RESULTS
MEN
1. Francesco Cappuzzo (ITA), 12.6 points
2. Mathis Ghio (FRA), 13.4 points
3. Luca Franchi (ITA), 18.0 points

WOMEN
1. Paula Novotná (CZE), 8.0 points
2. Ellie Aldridge (GBR), 17.0 points
3. Ceris Orane (FRA), 22.0 points

More results and details about the competition at https://wingfoilracing.com/2022worldcupitaly

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:53 pm