Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Worse wings of 2022

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:09 pm

leepasty wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:07 pm
Looks like he stacked it and didn’t let go so broke the wing 🤔
The board clips a wave (which happens often) and separates him from the board. The wing is loaded due to his tack angle and this puts his unsupported and powered weight on the wing handles, but no more than most airs would. This type of stress happens multiple times a session for many of us with no issue (and I've ridden on most of the major brands out there). The rider did nothing wrong here and if a wing cant withstand those forces it shouldn't be on the market. This is clearly an engineering failure given how prevalent this failure is. The Unit is otherwise a very good wing, but I would not take my chances with it until they fix this issue.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:47 pm

Even if he wasn't using the harness at the exact time it happened, could it be that the harness line would put some stress on the handle in a direction that is not really optimal (and possibly not designed for), and lead to problems?
For instance, a load on the harness line on the front handle would pull it towards the back and towards the bottom, with a bit of leverage due to the height of the handle mount. And this is a different kind of effort than when it's only the hand holding the handle. Is there a correlation with strut failures and harness usage ?
Of course, this is no excuse, as using a harness is getting more and more common.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:27 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:09 pm
leepasty wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:07 pm
Looks like he stacked it and didn’t let go so broke the wing 🤔
The board clips a wave (which happens often) and separates him from the board. The wing is loaded due to his tack angle and this puts his unsupported and powered weight on the wing handles, but no more than most airs would. This type of stress happens multiple times a session for many of us with no issue (and I've ridden on most of the major brands out there). The rider did nothing wrong here and if a wing cant withstand those forces it shouldn't be on the market. This is clearly an engineering failure given how prevalent this failure is. The Unit is otherwise a very good wing, but I would not take my chances with it until they fix this issue.
But it’s not just that he was going along and it broke like people imply happens with the Unit he proper stacked it into a wave!

Maybe he crashed this way 100 times on that wing and this time it broke?
Other wings will also break in this way it’s not just the Unit. If he had let go of back hand instead of all his weight and momentum pulling on the back handle it would not of broke!

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:20 pm

Dontsink wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 pm
????
That is a Takoon V1 , when that wing was brought into the market i do not think any wing had strings holding the bladders...they started doing that rather recently.And it is not so important,just watch your wing while inflating,do not hang to dry etc...
As for dragging the wind on the ground,what can i say?.Who does that?.
I have 4 Takoons,V1 and V2 all bought at full price.
Best wing for the money ever made IMHO.
I have a friend with just one wing, a Takoon V1 5m.He has been riding it for 3 years in winds up to 35kt...never a prob.
Are you sure they doing it now? Good news then, that was pretty obvious due to the amount of problems. They should have done it before. I've never seen a takoon with a string. I say in the video it worth for the money if you take care about these details... But people often don't and it end up showing up in my repair shop.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:11 am

StellaBlu wrote:
This is clearly an engineering failure given how prevalent this failure is. The Unit is otherwise a very good wing, but I would not take my chances with it until they fix this issue.
they seem to have adressed this problem on the 2023 basic model
They put a reinforcement between the handles just as Mario was suggesting in the video

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:33 am

Frankieboy wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:11 am
StellaBlu wrote:
This is clearly an engineering failure given how prevalent this failure is. The Unit is otherwise a very good wing, but I would not take my chances with it until they fix this issue.
they seem to have adressed this problem on the 2023 basic model
They put a reinforcement between the handles just as Mario was suggesting in the video
Duotone is usually efficient to make updates in the production. I will update here as soon as I see the changes.

I've seen they changing bladders (they've been using very thin ones and now step back using more resistant ones) and minor upgrades as a bad sewing around the deflate valve.

I just think some brands (many) should have more prototypes and testers instead launching their "new" technologies and designs in the market. The client end up being the reference for the production and "engineering" mistakes. That's happening A LOT in the winging business. People cannot imagine that dozens of corrections were made in the products at a cost of lost sessions and sometimes lost vacations. I've seen people crying... at least they fix it :D
These users thanked the author marioparacuru for the post:
Red Pointer (Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Red Pointer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Point,Basin Head, Souris Beach,
Favorite Beaches: Souris Beach,Hatteras, Caberette,Malpeque PEI
Style: Slash and bash
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby Red Pointer » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm

In field testing.It happens in all industries.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:26 pm

here is the reinforcement on the new 4.5
Attachments
tempImagetYm5Uh.gif
These users thanked the author Frankieboy for the post:
airsail (Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:28 am

Thanks for making the video.
I think wing manufacturers should adopt the technology that Eric Hertsens used in his 2009 EH Ovando kite. The parts that held bladders had two layers of dacron fabric sandwiched together, very bomber. The struts for wings should have 2 layers of Dacron fabric sandwiched together at a minimum, leading edge too would be preferred. Hopefully we will see that in 2027 wings.

Return to “Wingsurfing”