Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Worse wings of 2022

Postby marioparacuru » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:22 am

Hei guys. My name is Mario and I have a small repair shop in Brazil. Unfortunately I have no time for fancy edition, so let's get directly to the real thing.

In this video I explain the two worse wings of 2022 in terms of construction and why. Follow me on YouTube to get updated. Next video I will talk about the handle problem of the Cabrinha Mantis V3.

These users thanked the author marioparacuru for the post (total 5):
nothing2seehere (Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:49 am) • irwe (Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:27 am) • Breze (Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:55 pm) • RTL78901 (Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:57 pm) • B-Roc (Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:12 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: Worse wings of 2022

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:46 pm

Based on the handles, I'm almost positive thats a v1 Takoon (2020/2021). I have a v2 (2022) and haven't had these issues, but I'm not sure if its because I'm lucky or because they fixed it. They definitely didn't add any reinforcement, but Im not sure whether they pinned the strut or not.

Interestingly, I have two OR Glide wings and on one (the older of the two) the strut doesn't appear to be pinned but it might somehow be hidden, on the second one the strut is obviously pinned. Appears to be something they changed during the model run.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:31 pm

Interesting objective observations Mario, I love that.

I havent heard of any here having broken the strut between the handles (but not that many having the Duotone Aluula or Unit), so will be interesting to see how it works out in the longer run, as it seems like a weak point.

Regarding the Takoon tips, I am a bit confused...

Do they get damaged simply from riding on the water, when hitting the water or board?
Asking as I dont understand how they would get scruffed on land?

I never hit the beach with my wingtips on land - or is it when it stays on its back behind the board in the wind while pausing, these "corners" gets worn and damaged?
Or ARE there some people who tend to drag the tips on land occasionally?

Not sure I understand this?
With a kite, yes these "corners" will get scruffed really fast when self launching (or landing), so important on a kite, but on a wing I dont understand?

I dont have any of these three, but really interesting observations, and will probably lead to much better "next productions" of these, so a win win for everybody :thumb:

8) Peter

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:31 pm
Interesting objective observations Mario, I love that.

I havent heard of any here having broken the strut between the handles (but not that many having the Duotone Aluula or Unit), so will be interesting to see how it works out in the longer run, as it seems like a weak point.

Regarding the Takoon tips, I am a bit confused...

Do they get damaged simply from riding on the water, when hitting the water or board?
Asking as I dont understand how they would get scruffed on land?

I never hit the beach with my wingtips on land - or is it when it stays on its back behind the board in the wind while pausing, these "corners" gets worn and damaged?
Or ARE there some people who tend to drag the tips on land occasionally?

Not sure I understand this?
With a kite, yes these "corners" will get scruffed really fast when self launching (or landing), so important on a kite, but on a wing I dont understand?

I dont have any of these three, but really interesting observations, and will probably lead to much better "next productions" of these, so a win win for everybody :thumb:

8) Peter
I think you're right. This kind of damage might happen when the wing is laying on sand inflated. I'm not sure how it happens, it's on the sand for sure. I've been fixing a lot of wings from takoon with this same problem in the same spot, both sides.

In my opinion, there's several mistakes made by the brands on wing construction. Some show up fast and some take longer but not so longer.

Some wings has problems to find the correct tension in the canopy fabric. If there's no tension it flap and the fabric gets old fast. If there's tension it tear fast. Apparently a wing last as much as half of a regular kite, which make the cost of the sport much higher.

The materials used to build a wing shouldn't be the same used for kites. The stress is totally different. Wings has different needs. Some brands already figured it and the wings might change a lot in the next years. My opinion.

I will try to show some in the next videos. My problem Is that I work way too much fixing all this stuff together with my team. In a month the season will calm down around here and I will post more content. Keep connected.
These users thanked the author marioparacuru for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:32 pm) • czareka (Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:48 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 pm

????
That is a Takoon V1 , when that wing was brought into the market i do not think any wing had strings holding the bladders...they started doing that rather recently.And it is not so important,just watch your wing while inflating,do not hang to dry etc...
As for dragging the wind on the ground,what can i say?.Who does that?.
I have 4 Takoons,V1 and V2 all bought at full price.
Best wing for the money ever made IMHO.
I have a friend with just one wing, a Takoon V1 5m.He has been riding it for 3 years in winds up to 35kt...never a prob.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:51 pm

Yeah if there is a lot of Takoon and Duotone in his area he is bound to see more of them repaired.
Near us there is no Takoons the most used is Duotone but never seen any Unit handles break off at our spot but have seen pics online.
Have seen few handles pull off Ensis and naish and lots of ripped fones and Armstrong but maybe that’s more user error as not sure local sail maker would say they are weaker or poorly made due to foil hitting them 🤷‍♂️

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:38 am

Interesting. Mantis wings are popular in my area and I know of several that have had handle and strut bladder issues. I’ve been riding Duotone boom wings from the early days, and they have been quite reliable. My Slick SLS’s have been perfect so far and don’t even show any signs of bagging out.

RTL78901
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 141
Local Beach: Atlanta
Favorite Beaches: Various spots at our local lake. OBX and Jekyll Island
Gear: F one Rocket Air, Fanatic Aero 2000 foil, Naish S26 and slingshot wings, Peak 4 5m, Pansh Genesis 3m, 6m, Flexifoil kite buggy, Peter Lynn Kite Monohull kite boat, many self made traction kites including single skin NPW's, single skin foils, close cell foil kites, and my own designs. Various windsurf sails and Exocet RF81 and ISups.

Postby RTL78901 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:50 pm

Another exploding Duotone - this time in SF Bay.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:07 pm

Looks like he stacked it and didn’t let go so broke the wing 🤔

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Wouldn’t give you confidence using the current Duotone Units too far offshore.

Return to “Wingsurfing”