Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Gong Hipe compatibility with other foils

Postby petato2 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:43 pm

Hi allí, one question to GoNG users.

I have a Cabrinha High Rise foil. Te top plate has two different type of holes, for screws sizes 8M and 10M.

Looking forward to buy a Gong Hipe, but the screws to connect the plate to the board are 6M in this brand.

Both are US box system, same 90cm distancie between rails, but use different screw sizes.

Muy question is, will I be able to connect the Cab foil to the Gong board using 10M or 8M screws?, Or anything above 6M will not be able to screw it to the Gong Board?

Thanks in advance

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gong Hipe compatibility with other foils

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:43 pm

Most foils use M6 screws for the baseplate to the US tracks.

If Cabrinha use M8, I can not see any problems using 8 mm screws with their corresponding T nuts in the Gong US tracks.

Otherwise, arent the baseplate screws countersunk on the Cabrinha?

If so, you should just be able to use M6 screws instead.

M10 you say?

Doesnt sound right, I think the M10 screw is for the baseplate to the mast, and not for the board.

Anyways, it will be possible to fit somehow, thats for sure :thumb:

8) Peter

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:56 pm

I have this foil and I can tell you it doesn't use M10 screws. I have never seen anyone using M10 on any kite or foil gear ever. The High Rise uses M8 with countersunk head or M8 thread for screws coming from the top through the board for the old style boards like the Double Agent. Yes you can mount it on the Hipe Either you get T Nuts with M8 screws with countersunk heads or you can probably still fit the M6 in the M8 holes. You could also use M6 with round head in the M8 threaded holes and the M6 Tnuts you have but you will need to get your own screws but it works. The screws will just sit in holes but not use the thread.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

petato2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Has thanked: 0

Postby petato2 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct Cabrinha plate uses 8M, not 10M.

I recieved measures from Gong, and now I believe I can use standard T nuts for 8M screws and they will fit on the Gong Hipe.

👍👍👍

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:11 am

I've used the stock M6 Hipe bolts on my Hipe with a Slingshot Hoverglide and Takuma Kujira. Despite them having M8 holes, the M6 screws with washers worked just fine. i have never heard of M10s used for a foil other than in special Tuttle boxes, I have no idea how they would even fit in to a standard track mount.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 am

You can use M6 or M8 in foil tracks. The main difference on the Gong Hype, and probably all inflatable boards with a plate, is that the rails are shallow. And a screw that is too long and poking out of the T-nut by more than a couple of mm will dig a hole in the skin of the board, and destroy it beyond repair. Because of that, I believe Gong provides non traversing T-nuts. Once you're at the bottom of the T nut you can't tighten anymore.

On a general note, having the right size bolts is absolutely critical on any kind of board, and it's highly dependent on your foil's baseplate. Some are countersunk, which means the bolts need to be quite short, some require additional washers, and that commends longer bolts, some people use plate shimming, longer bolts. Using a bolt that is too long can easily damage your tracks and your board. There's some common sense needed here. Use calipers, measure the depth of the tracks, the thickness of your base plate, and get the right size bolts, and several sets if you mix and match foil and boards. And always use common sense when tightening your bolts. So many people go nuts with their Makita drill, they'd have no idea why there's a bit of resistance when tightening.

Return to “Wingsurfing”