Copa Kitley GWA Wingfoil World Cup Brazil 2022

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Copa Kitley GWA Wingfoil World Cup Brazil 2022

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:39 am

Nice :D

They use 500 to 600 cm2 foilwings even in relatively low wind, makes sense.

Seemed like they abandoned the surf/pump leg requirement in the last heats, maybe disturbed by too many surfers?

One really annoying thing:
Could do without the background music, the same short loop for hours and hours, drives you crazy :(

Drop that and keep it silent, there is full commentary track most of the time anyways.
Otherwise fine.

Let's see how the final goes later today :naughty:

8) Peter

Edit: Heard now that the Ladies didnt have a surf/pump leg on the track, my mistake, the men have.
Some girls still do it here on final day 5, just to show that the CAN, cool :thumb:

But the monotone loop music track is still :x :x :x
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:39 am
Nice :D

They use 500 to 600 cm2 foilwings even in relatively low wind, makes sense.

Seemed like they abandoned the surf/pump leg requirement in the last heats, maybe disturbed by too many surfers?

One really annoying thing:
Could do without the background music, the same short loop for hours and hours, drives you crazy :(

Drop that and keep it silent, there is full commentary track most of the time anyways.
Otherwise fine.

Let's see how the final goes later today :naughty:

8) Peter
+1 on the music loop!

I think most intermediate foilers will end up on an 800-900cm2 front wing as an allround size.
Better foil,wing and board design is making them easier to ride for us mortals.

Mast size seems to be huge for racing (Mathis Ghio on 115cm) and pretty big for wave (85 or plus?).

The Duotone Units look incredible,tight and clean under full load...most other wings look like baggy knickers in comparison.

I think everybody is on a wing wrist leash for wavesailing (and Galea rides without board leash).
I love my belt for board&wing but i guess a wrist leash is less tangly for freestyle moves.

I think only 1 guy with harness, but this races are pretty short and hectic.

Nia Suardiaz is going to win female everything next year.Incredible progression.

Hugo Marin has my favorite surf style.

They all rip, and make it look so easy...snif!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Today’s livestream

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:57 am

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:53 pm

ARTZNER AND GALEA FIRE FRANCE TO YET MORE WORLD TITLES IN THE SURF-SLALOM

After five action packed days in Taiba at the Copa Kitley GWA Wingfoil World Cup Brazil we finally arrived at the deciding heats of the 2022 Surf Slalom championship on Sunday.

Although the mathematical scenarios were complicated, if tour leader Titouan Galea could essentially stay ahead of his nearest rival, Francesco Cappuzzo, the title would be his.

In a huge shock to proceedings, Titouan lost his grip in the semi final of the third elimination.

Cappuzzo capitalised in the final that would have given Galea the title. The Italian crossed the line in third behind Alan Fedit and Mathis Ghio who look hot in first. That was solid points in the bag.

It all came down to the fourth and final elimination.

MEN'S FOURTH ELIMINATION SURF-SLALOM FINAL

Cappuzzo was closest to Galea, but to claim the title he needed to finish four positions higher than Galea in the final race.

Galea got an awful start as Ghio and Tomassi steamed off at the front with Cappuzzo giving chase.

Galea once again decided to take his first tack widest on the course, but it was Ghio, Tomassi and Bouyer who rounded the top buoy ahead, as Cappuzzo and Galea scrambled for position behind.

At the pump track Galea was still way down, but he'd been strong at this section all event.

He pumped wide and by the time he powered his wing up around the bottom mark he was into third with just three marks to go.

He could finally smell victory.

Ghio won another race (and the event win), Tomassi took second, Bouyer third and, crucially, Titouan crossed the line in fourth ahead of Cappuzzo and that was it!

Event winner, Mathis Ghio

Men's 2022 Wingfoil Surf-Slalom World Championship podium:
1 Titouan Galea (FRA)
2 Francesco Cappuzzo (ITA)
3 Camille Bouyer (FRA)

men.jpg

WOMEN'S SURF-SLALOM SUMMARY

After six straight wins the previous day, Nia Suardiaz had been doing all she could to try to catch women's tour leader, Flora Artzner, who only needed to finish in fourth or better at this event to claim her first title.

Artzner played it cool and stayed in and around the positions she needed to be in each of the eleven races completed by the women over two days of Surf-Slalom heats.

In the final race, the French rider made a great start, but was chased down by Suardiaz. At the end of the downwind section, Suardiaz was once again in front, but Artzner indeed crossed the line in fourth, giving her third position overall here in Brazil and first at the end of the season.

Nia Suardiaz dominantly won the event, but Flora Artzner is the 2022 GWA Wingfoil Surf-Slalom World Champion!
Nia Suardiaz
Women's event winner, Nia Suardiaz

Women's 2022 Wingfoil Surf-Slalom World Championship podium:
1 Flora Artzner (FRA)
2 Nia Suardiaz (ESP)
3 Paula Novotna (CZE)

women.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:15 pm

Really good to watch this event, in so many aspects.

The way they can rotate and land on the wave again, impressive.

But also the slalom discipline - how some riders simply just SPEEDS so much faster than others, at times, and no direct synergi, sometimes the huge wings were faster. sometimes the smallest one were the fastest - odd but true.

Fascinating to see Titouan, even when he was only 5th or something, quite far behind, he gained so many places on the pumping/surf leg - THAT was brilliant.

And he did it every single time, if behind he caught up, if in front he left the rest hopelessly behind.

Eventhough his "pace" was sometimes a tad slower, in speed.

8) Peter

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:53 pm

I totally agree with the music loop criticism 😂 especially as this area has such a nice local music named Forrho perfectly matching with dancing the waves !

Nevertheless I do ride Duotone and been on Ken Winner Designs for decades, I´m happy that 3 out of 4 WC titles have gone to non-Aluula brands, one of them being even a direct seller.
When I started wingfoiling earlier this year, I was positively surprised by the relatively low prices of wings compared to kites. The current development,
leading to almost double the price of an DLAB vs the "Volkswagen Unit" is counterproduktive in many ways. I know there are huge differences in income across us mates, but it shouldn´t be taken to places where nature and joy name the game.
These users thanked the author Foxi for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:15 pm
Really good to watch this event, in so many aspects.

The way they can rotate and land on the wave again, impressive.

But also the slalom discipline - how some riders simply just SPEEDS so much faster than others, at times, and no direct synergi, sometimes the huge wings were faster. sometimes the smallest one were the fastest - odd but true.

Fascinating to see Titouan, even when he was only 5th or something, quite far behind, he gained so many places on the pumping/surf leg - THAT was brilliant.

And he did it every single time, if behind he caught up, if in front he left the rest hopelessly behind.

Eventhough his "pace" was sometimes a tad slower, in speed.

8) Peter
I wonder if Titouan was on a Phantom foil so was not as fast but pumped way better. Must be hard for the big guys pumping downwind on a 500 race foil. This format seems to favour small guys where as the course racing favours bigger guys who can hold more power
These users thanked the author leepasty for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dontsink
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Galicia
Gear: Wingfoil

Postby Dontsink » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Foxi wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:53 pm
I totally agree with the music loop criticism 😂 especially as this area has such a nice local music named Forrho perfectly matching with dancing the waves !

Nevertheless I do ride Duotone and been on Ken Winner Designs for decades, I´m happy that 3 out of 4 WC titles have gone to non-Aluula brands, one of them being even a direct seller.
When I started wingfoiling earlier this year, I was positively surprised by the relatively low prices of wings compared to kites. The current development,
leading to almost double the price of an DLAB vs the "Volkswagen Unit" is counterproduktive in many ways. I know there are huge differences in income across us mates, but it shouldn´t be taken to places where nature and joy name the game.
Developing wings that do not bag out (or explode easily) is important i think.

The performance i get from my (direct seller) wings is perfectly adequate, but having them last longer and be more reliable (seaworthy) would be really good.

Aluula,Hookipa and the North cloth will become cheaper down the line.

Carbon fiber used to be a very expensive "pro" level material back in the day, now it is pretty much the standard in foils and boards.

Return to “Wingsurfing”