Rare Poster
Weight: 67
Gear: f-one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wingcraft V1 vs V2

Postby johan k » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:59 pm

Relatively new in wing surfing. Can get a good offer on a Slingshot V1 Wingcraft. In their promo video they explain the huge advantage of the bevels and the kick tail. Surprised to see that the bottom of the new V2 version is completely different, no bevels and no kick tail anymore. Are bevels and kick tails of no use anymore?

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Re: Wingcraft V1 vs V2

Postby galewarning » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:49 pm

My 2-cents, as having just bought a V1 [guilty of being cheap], but wanting the V2. If you look at all the boards with chines/bevels and kick trails, imagine just sawing off all the areas of the board that don't have much volume. You can get rid of at least 3-4" off the tail. Does anybody even put their rear foot anywhere the obligatory deck pad kick? While we're trimming, take off another 3" of tapered nose and maybe trim off another inch around the board without really reducing the total volume of the board. What you're left with is a shorter and narrower board, which has more planing surface area for its volume. To make up for the sight volume reduction, the rails can be made a bit more boxy and maybe the board can be made wider. What you are left with is a much shorter and slightly wider board. Example: The new 90L V2 is ~8" shorter and about an inch wider than the V1. I'm sure the shorter length makes for a noticeable reduction in swing weight...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:04 pm

I agree, in theory....

Thats why so many early "second" generation boards were super thick and wide and short, seemed like the perfect way to go.

I got myself one of these too, it had to be ideal :thumb:

But now I have found it isnt the full truth, as a bit longer and thinner board has so many advantages, and swing weight the same unless it is heavy.

The less chubby ones glides better, A LOT easier to get up standing when too little wind, or waves, and you can slog ashore a lot easier if wind dies.

So have changed my board style now, to a bit longer, still low volume, but not super thick or wide, more balanced.

So much better in my experience.

Might be the only one, but not so sure, as I can see what some big brands offer now.

Also, remember, if you ride boards where you can stink bug start or even waterstart, then it is a totally different ballgame.
But for us not doing this, meaning bigger sizes say around 70 to 90 litres for average weights, too short and fat are not necessarily the best, I dont like it, and have ridden these for quite some time.

8) Peter

PS: Meaning galewarning, that regarding board dimensions the V1 might be the better choice.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:20 pm

The wing board design pendulum has only just now started to swing. Will be interesting to see where it leads us with future designs. In the meantime, I'll continue to crawl my way up the progression ladder, where my general lack of skill is best resolved by getting more time on the water and not due to having the wrong board. :)
Edit to add: I learned on an inflatable board, the I-Fly 105, with the 90L V1 being my first rigid wing board.
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:04 pm
I agree, in theory....
Thats why so many early "second" generation boards were super thick and wide and short, seemed like the perfect way to go.
I got myself one of these too, it had to be ideal :thumb:
But now I have found it isnt the full truth, as a bit longer and thinner board has so many advantages,...snip... too short and fat are not necessarily the best...
8) Peter
PS: Meaning galewarning, that regarding board dimensions the V1 might be the better choice.

Return to “Wingsurfing”