Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snow Winging - Observations from my first time out

Forum for wing surfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Snow Winging - Observations from my first time out

Postby fernmanus » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:40 am

It was a fairly windy day at Skyline today, so I pulled out a Duotone 6.5M Slick to give it a go. Wind was 10 gusting to 20 mph and snow was 8” of crusty powder. I got in some great powered reaches. Here are my observations as a total beginner on the Wing, but with over 20 years of kiting.
1. It is not hard to pick up if you have previous experience with a kite or sail, but someone unfamiliar with angle of attack and pumping would definitely benefit from some instruction.
2. Powder snow and sloped terrain make it more challenging. The next time I go out it will be on a flat lake with hard-pack or a thin layer of powder. The powder snow and any uphill slope made it difficult to get up to speed. If I were on a flat surface with less snow, I am sure that I could have flown a smaller wing.
3. Snow winging is a good compliment to snow kiting. Kite when the wind is light, up and down hills, and when the snow is deep. Wing on frozen lakes, hard-pack, and on nuking days. There are days when the only windy spot is at a local lake. It is boring on a kite, but it would be a lot of fun on a wing (at least while I am still learning the wing).
4. Similar to snow kiting, Skis are much better than a snowboard for learning.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Snow Winging - Observations from my first time out

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 am

I don't know how much 10 mph is...

But you can also try with skates, really easy and no problem down to 4-5 knots of wind because of apparent wind, sometimes in less wind if black ice.

Practicing tacks and 360s is also perfect :thumb:

8) Peter

Don123
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Don123 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:11 am

In my experience, when there is snow on the surface, it's better to go with the kite. On the snow drag builds up quickly and wings just don't have enough raw power in them. If it's nuking they sure do but it becomes pretty hard to hold on for long.

But where wings shine are icy surfaces. With kite i don't like too much going on ice but with wing it's so easy and hassle free. Usually the surface is not that perfect and the skis are best option if you want to go fast. With snowboard you have only one rail to rely on and if it's slips down you go. With hockey skates ice has to be perfect, otherwise it becomes pretty dangerous if get you skate stuck inside some crack when going 75kmh(45MPH). At that point something in you body is going to give in: your knee probably...

Here is a video of me from spring doing 76kmh(47MPH) on a local lake:

I could have gone a tad faster, but this was already scary as if i had fallen, there would have been icy lumps on ice that would have hit me pretty hard. With full hockey gear it would probably be safer.

These on the otherhand would be the conditons for skates. Not going too fast, but doing lot's of turns and spinning around. But these conditions are rare, maybe once in couple of years.
Attachments
winter.jpg
These users thanked the author Don123 for the post:
B-Roc (Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:17 am

I have been WingSkiing for 10 years now. Started off on the original KiteWings. It appealed to me originally because it was alot safer in my area (frozen lake) to be WingSkiing as oppossed to KiteSkiing in 20 kts +
With the advent of the Inflatable Wing, WingSkiing is growing exponentially every Winter season here. I tell people if you can walk and hold your hands over your head you are capable of learning to WingSki.
I think most of the Wing Companies have over looked this potential market.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:09 pm

Don123 wrote: In my experience, when there is snow on the surface, it's better to go with the kite. On the snow drag builds up quickly and wings just don't have enough raw power in them. If it's nuking they sure do but it becomes pretty hard to hold on for long.
Winging is a low friction sport so it is nice with skateboard or surf skate or at winter very hard surface. Add friction and quick fatigue kicks in unless you use harness hooks and straps. Skimbat wings from 2000 were never that successful compared to kites. Sure 2/3 line winter kiting is also very tiresome too without a hook like kiting with Ozone Samurai just holding your hands and trying to push upwind course with speed.

But nothing beats normal 4-line kite on sticky surfaces or 3d areas like climbing mountains or doing proper jumps/tricks. Sometimes on steep hill even it is very slow progress with kite to go up, but you still move compared to a wing. Also with a kite you can enjoy the view, not just looking at the bottom of your wing.

So my observation from the same frozen lake as don123 is about the same. Hard surface the wing for "new feeling" but for mountain/speed/jumps/tricks/distance/sticky surface/low wind always a kite.

MCN
Rare Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby MCN » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 pm

Yes, Wingskate is great.

Longing for ice now!

Hope some sneak advertising is ok, otherwise delete.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:48 pm

It would be easier to pack in a wing and use it at a ski resorts also. So many times the wind is strong on the high areas.

Return to “Wingsurfing”