Local Beach: SE USA
Style: Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dakine Wing Foil Package

Postby sp543 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:12 pm

Looking to purchase my first wing setup. There seems to be a few good Black Friday deals, the Dakine package in particular.

Is this re-branded Cabrinha gear? Any qualms/issues with the Dakine Wind products?

Thinking 78L board, 1600 foil, 5m wing

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: Dakine Wing Foil Package

Postby StellaBlu » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:29 am

Almost positive it’s the v1 mantis, the macro board and the fusion foil from Cabrinha. It’s all 2021 vintage. I’ve ridden all of that gear (Cabrinha branded). The wing is very good, the board is good and the foil is pretty subpar but totally fine for a beginner (it’s too low aspect to be good for winging).

It depends on how good a deal it is and how you want to progress. If you are a beginner dabbling to see if you like winging it’s probably a solid setup. If it’s a good enough deal where you can eventually add a higher aspect foil to the quiver (ha800 or ha1000) at no incremental cost, then it’s a no brainer (the mast will work with Cabrinhas HA foils which are excellent).

I can’t comment on the sizes without knowing your size and conditions but what you outlined is pretty middle of the road. That foil is pretty big though and you might want to consider the 1300.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:13 pm

A 1600 is perfect for learning now, in the "new age" where foilwings are smaller, and you will still be able to use it as a light wind foilwing later.

Yes, 78 litre is really small for learning even if medium weight 75-80 kg, so we need to know you weight.

And if you feel talented and able to take the ekstra time it takes when you struggle with such a small board (if average weight).

8) Peter

sp543
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 185
Local Beach: SE USA
Style: Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sp543 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:45 pm

I’m around 185lbs

Learned how to kite foil on a race board, so no stranger to a somewhat frustrating learning curve. I think 78l will be fine, and I think the 1600 could carry over to prone surfing as well.

The package is $2k, any other deals out there I should take a look at? Not partial to this setup.

Return to “Wingsurfing”