Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What Style of Wing Leash is Best for You?

Forum for wing surfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

What Style of Wing Leash is Best for You?

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:22 pm

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What Style of Wing Leash is Best for You?

Postby jkrug » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:41 pm

i don't know which leash is best, but i do know the absolute worst part of winging is dealing with both those damn leashes.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
Smeagle (Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:01 am

It's a little bit ironic that the greatest danger in wing foiling is having heavy and sharp things tied to soft and fragile things on bits of string that naturally come together under tension.

The second greatest danger is having your leash break and losing either your power source or your water craft.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:39 am

I don’t use a board leash when I can get away with it: no breaking waves, onshore wind, no rocks downwind.
Made me nervous at first but now I don’t worry. Can easily catch up to the board using wing as sail leading edge down. One less leash is really nice!

I use coil leash from waist strap for wing.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:35 am

I’ve tried pretty much all the combinations. Ankle or calf leash to the board and waist leash to the wing is the best option for me. You sometimes get wrapped in the wing leash during tacks and behind the back passes but it’s quick and easy to unwrap. I never get the wing and board leashes tangled anymore.

I find Waist leash for the board super annoying. More tangles with the wing leash and it always manages to get wrapped between my legs and around my thigh from when I climb onto the board.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
airsail (Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:19 am)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:21 pm

Been using a coil wrist leash for the wing and a coil waist leash for the board. I find that the waist leash has less tangles (with the foil/legs) than the calf or ankle leash to the board. The only thing is the waist coil leash sometimes gets under my back knee when getting up on the board. I just move my knee up and back a bit and it comes out. Plus the waist coil leash to the board brings it right back to me after a crash, minimizing time to pull the board back to me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:26 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:35 am
I’ve tried pretty much all the combinations. Ankle or calf leash to the board and waist leash to the wing is the best option for me. You sometimes get wrapped in the wing leash during tacks and behind the back passes but it’s quick and easy to unwrap. I never get the wing and board leashes tangled anymore.

I find Waist leash for the board super annoying. More tangles with the wing leash and it always manages to get wrapped between my legs and around my thigh from when I climb onto the board.

Each to their own in this thread it seems, apart from hardly noone NOT using a waist leash for either the wing or the board.

I use waist for both wing and board - my preferred.

On occasion I use a wing hand leash - but dont like it...

Regarding board leashes, I can not see one single reason not to choose a waist leash.

But yes, for the wing, if you use a waist for both wing and board, there is a chance/risk the leashes gets tangled.

I find it no problem when you know.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
galewarning (Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:48 am)

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:40 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:26 pm

Regarding board leashes, I can not see one single reason not to choose a waist leash.
i used to use a waist leash, but it always wrapped thru my legs in the 'getting up' process. on a floatier board, that was just a nuisance, but once i went to a semi-sinker, it became unacceptable. so now i attach right below the knee. problem solved.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:34 pm

Re: Not using a board leash.
It's like: "Everytime I toss the coin, it comes up heads." Keep tossin'...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:56 pm

I dont understand some of the answers in here, but maybe just a language barrier?

Some dont use a board leash, as it is quite easy to "wing" drag to your board.

If I were to choose, it would be opposite, I would omit the wingleash and stay with the boardleash - as how often do I lose the wing?
Correct, never, or almost never.
But some, really good freestylers, do relatively often they say, so understandable.

Every single time I fall in the water, pulling the board back to me using the leash, in order to start really fast, is key.
And I also almost never have a wing on its back, so having to get back to your board this way would be a PITA of the major ones (for me), as I would have to turn the wing over twice each time :o

I dont know if in this thread, or another thread - but those saying a boardleash will rocket the board with sharp foils towards you, apparently knows NOTHING about wingfoiling :rollgrin:

For one, you dont have a powered kite/kiteloop which keeps pulling, so it wont happen.
Also, the weight and the size, even of small light wingfoils, makes it impossible to "rocket" towards you.
Just opposite to TT or surfboards with a kite, where the slingshot risk is very high.

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wingsurfing”