Kiting since: 2022
Gear: Naish surfwing 5m
Mbs core mountainboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bewlwater

Postby Fielonator » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:31 am

Hi folks, first post on this forum. I've just got into winging, landboard on the beach at Camber Sands so far. Next step is to get on the water with my sup, then at some point try foiling. Anyone have experience of Bewlwater? It's a large lake in south east England. They offer windsurfing and paddleboard memberships as well as dingy sailing. Seems ok, but for £130 a year upfront I'm going to give it some looking at before deciding.

Cheers.

burstmybladder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South coast, UK
Gear: Switch Nitro, Shinn Monk

Re: Bewlwater

Postby burstmybladder » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:00 pm

Not sure how things are now, but when I looked into it for kitesurfing a while back you could only do the water sports that were on their website, something to do with insurance iirc. Not sure if they would consider winging to be windsurfing or not? They were pretty helpful, give them a call to ask. Let us know what they say.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:34 pm

They love winging there,

they never allowed kiting

Fielonator
Rare Poster
Mbs core mountainboard

Postby Fielonator » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:47 am

Morning,

Looks like Bewl is a go for winging. They demand public liability insurance which is a bit annoying.

burstmybladder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South coast, UK
Gear: Switch Nitro, Shinn Monk

Postby burstmybladder » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:36 am

Fielonator wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:47 am
Morning,

Looks like Bewl is a go for winging. They demand public liability insurance which is a bit annoying.
Thanks for the update, can you just rock up and go, or do you have to join a club?
Not surprised about the insurance given the different disciplines using the water. Bksa include the insurance as part of their annual fee. £40 a year or so so could be worse and worth having for peace of mind.

Fielonator
Rare Poster
Mbs core mountainboard

Postby Fielonator » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 am

burstmybladder wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:36 am
Fielonator wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:47 am
Morning,

Thanks for the update, can you just rock up and go, or do you have to join a club?
They no longer do day tickets so you have to join for the year. It's 130 quid for unlimited year round use which isn't too bad. It looks like they've got decent facilities, lockers, showers and a place to buy food. Apparently there's quite a few guys using wings and foils down there so it could be a good spot to learn at.

Fielonator
Rare Poster
Mbs core mountainboard

Postby Fielonator » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:31 am

Morning folks. I finally got down to Bewlwater to try things out. I think it's going to be alright. There's parking right next to the shore, or at worst an area to drop gear off when it's busy. A small stoney beach to launch from, and it gets deep pretty quick so no hassles with getting the foil in the water. Facilities were clean and functional, nice cafe up near the main carpark.

Admin was easy, i paid online and picked up a couple of carparking passes and wristbands at the cafe. There's stuff for the kids to do so we'll probably make good use of the parking passes when it's warmer.

Wind wasn't great yesterday. Forecast 12 knots, may have been gusting 12 but pretty still over all. Not enough to hold my wing up so i ended up just paddling around sup style for a bit. Prevailing is SW which is across shore so it should work well when it's blowing a bit steadier.

Just me and a few older guys out on kayaks yesterday, one of them very helpfully suggested i should have brought an 8m wing for the conditions.

Return to “Wingsurfing”