Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peter Lynn c-quad 10.5 and 12.5

Forum to sell, buy or trade used kite gear.
dregan100
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: Pine Point, Outer Banks
Style: Wakestyle kiteboarder
Gear: 2010 13M Best Waroo
20?? 11M Best Waroo
20?? 9M Best Waroo
2008 7M Slingshot Link
Full line of Peter Lynn C-Quads
Prism Stylus 2.8M
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Peter Lynn c-quad 10.5 and 12.5

Postby dregan100 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:40 pm

I have these gigantic kites available, but no images yet, wanted to see if there's any interest in these powerhouses. I believe I have extra spars for the 12.5. I can get pictures of the kites laid out on the ground, but probably not in the air any time soon as we won't have smooth winds where I live until summer. They were part of my c-quad quiver back in the day, I have the whole lineup, and still enjoy the smaller sizes. I actually used the 10.5 to kiteboard a couple of times in very low wind, probably 8 mph max, the 12.5 I might have only flown a couple times really just for the thrill of seeing such a huge powerful kite, so they are both relatively unused.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Re: Peter Lynn c-quad 10.5 and 12.5

Postby Trent hink » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:21 pm

Where are these located? I might be interested in the 10.5 if you can send it here to the USA at a fair price.

How large is the kite when packed up? Do you have any spare spars or any source for replacements if they break?

dregan100
Rare Poster
20?? 11M Best Waroo
20?? 9M Best Waroo
2008 7M Slingshot Link
Prism Stylus 2.8M

Postby dregan100 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:04 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the 10.5. Just testing this out for now, apologies I'm not super familiar with this forum.
IMG_2949.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG

dregan100
Rare Poster
20?? 11M Best Waroo
20?? 9M Best Waroo
2008 7M Slingshot Link
Prism Stylus 2.8M

Postby dregan100 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:08 am

And then here's a couple photos of the 12.5, just flew it the other day, we lucked out with about 5-8 mph of smooth wind at the beach.
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG

dregan100
Rare Poster
20?? 11M Best Waroo
20?? 9M Best Waroo
2008 7M Slingshot Link
Prism Stylus 2.8M

Postby dregan100 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:15 am

Spars are in good condition, no splinters, but I don't have spares, as it turns out. I am not sure where you can acquire carbon fiber rods these days. If anyone has any ideas on that, I would love to know, in case I need replacements for my other cquads. Canopys are in perfect condition, these kites have not been flown a lot. They both have the original "bags", which are large (~42" diameter) discs made out of tarp material. If you have never packed a cquad, I honestly would suggest you don't buy these kites, as packing them gently and carefully is paramount to preserving the kite. These two kites are so large that the leading edge spar is actually in two pieces, held together by a ferrule in the front center of the leading edge, and you separate the spars in order to be able to curl the kite into the bag.

Kites are in Maine.

dregan100
Rare Poster
20?? 11M Best Waroo
20?? 9M Best Waroo
2008 7M Slingshot Link
Prism Stylus 2.8M

Postby dregan100 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 am

Here are some photos of the 12.5 going into or coming out of the bag. One side of the bag is open. To further protect the kite, I made a cover (one for the 10.5 too), although my sewing skills are terrible.
F824050B-1E29-41E8-B72C-F8BC63573BB2.JPG
2340B435-0734-4AD4-8DDD-73A27A9B35DF.JPG
75B13A73-CBE0-44B1-B34A-0247EF6F9278.JPG

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:48 am

These fly on handles, not a bar... is that correct?

dregan100
Rare Poster
20?? 11M Best Waroo
20?? 9M Best Waroo
2008 7M Slingshot Link
Prism Stylus 2.8M

Postby dregan100 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes, they fly on handles, and a backstrap is critical in my opinion, I can't imagine using a seat or waist harness with a strop between the handles. This is because cquads need both main line input and brake line input. There is no other kite I've seen that flys the way these do, and accordingly no other kite that is capable of maneuvering they way they do. When properly set up, you can stall the kite just about anywhere and hold it in the sky (I was holding the 12.5 in front of the camera low to the ground). And you can fly them backwards by hitting both brakes hard. Setting the main and brake line attachment points to the handles properly is super important, you WANT to be able to fly the kite backwards using the brakes. If you take off and you can't stall the kite with the brakes, you need to land and shorten the brake lines (or lengthen the main lines).

It is also critical that the lines coming off the back of the handles to connect to the strap are about 1 inch lower than the main lines going to the kite. Without doing this, when the handle strop lines are at the same point on the handles as the main lines, cquads will want to overfly the window. When they overfly, they flop forward and they will fall slowly to the ground nose first (and if you are on hard ground like pavement it will probably break the leading edge spar). There is nothing you can do to stop the crash once the kite has overflown. However, when you have the strop lines lower than the main lines, when the kite attempts to overfly, it automatically pulls its own brake lines and stalls the kite. When perfectly set up, they will not overfly, the will stall themselves just before the zenith of the wind window.

Furthermore... setup of the kite relative to the wind is very procedural. You launch almost directly downwind with the kite on its back lying on the sand, pointed slightly to one side. You pick up the leeward side of the kite by pulling on that handle and the sail will start to catch wind. You can then peel the kite off the ground and fly low to the side of the window and you're good. Often at this moment one of the many bridle lines can snag on a spar tip, etc, and you have to start over, after fixing the snag at the kite. Landing is basically the reverse of this, and is always unassisted.. fly to the lower edge of the window, touch one wingtip to the ground, and then walk towards the kite to lay it down on its back.

In short, these kites are very particular and protocol oriented, unlike modern foils and inflatables, and they have almost no depower so are terrible in gusty conditions. This annoyance is easily outweighed by the power and maneuverability that a good pilot can produce. Easy self landing is also a huge plus. If you are unfamiliar with how to pilot a cquad, these big monsters are probably not the way to start. Better to find a 3.2 or a 4.2 and practice on sand. You'll be amazed at the power.

Return to “Second Hand”