Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide
Has thanked: 0

Postby PBKiteboarding » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:26 am

Here is a little vid, one of the guys did... Still no backs... still feels closest to Kiteboarding...

Everyone can be different... but I sure like it...
I'm in red jacket... 1/2" snow to ice... not much to hold edge.

Been riding no back since 2004...

Little underpowered at times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUDqZLBicjQ

Paul
Last edited by PBKiteboarding on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiterfighter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:04 am

Took off the backs of my board as Jess man recommended, no BFD. don't get it. A little easier to get in the bindings but thats it.

Jess man still hate Best? :wink:

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Another vote for low backs

Postby tukyank » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Picked up some new bindings (to replace my Flows) to see what all the fuss was about.
I am now 100% on board with the Jess-Man. I was riding on 1 ft of fresh snow and it felt just like being on the water! I love being able to keep my front leg straight! With the flows, the back of my front leg calf would always get sore or even bruised.

In terms of increase injury risk - because of the deep snow and "Water" sensation, I was trying everything and had many many wipeouts - no issues. Feet never came out, and knees were never bent in awkward ways.

Thanks Jess Man!
(I'm thinking that the ideal binding would be one where the backs could be adjusted waaay back - for "water" style riding, and if you wanted to go back to old school - just adjust them forward.)

teklife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby teklife » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm

wow, finally got to the end of the thread!

not to beat a dead horse here, but i personally would get massive thigh burn and my sessions were really short because i was exhausted, but there was still plenty of wind and powder, i was pissed. bindings were wide with duck stance.

i remember reading a thread somewhere, (not here) to remove the high backs, so this winter i tried it, and i am able to ride more than 10x as long, with little to no soreness at days end. edging and going upwind were never a problem, and the boot stiffness more than sufficed for support.

reading through all the posts at once, it seems some people really don't like it without the high backs; and i read some good arguments about how snowkiting and snowboarding are not alike, just like kitesurfing and wakeboarding are not alike; neither are snowkiting flat and snowkiting on hills.

think about why you need high back support on a mountain. well, the surface is not flat, it slopes down at an angle, and you have to ride down this slope holding an edge a lot of the time. i guess without the bindings and high backs, your foot would have the tendency to flatten against the ground, and catch a toeside edge, yikes! your body has to fight to keep balanced (board level) against the slope. on a landboard, kiteboard, or snowboard on a flat lake, you only have to lift up a little bit, and leaning back against the kite facilitates this a bit too.

for snowkiters who kite hilly terrain (western North america, the alps, etc.), maybe it's better to leave the high backs in, because otherwise, maybe your legs feel fatigue from trying to edge too hard?

i imagine a landboarder, who normally has no bindings, but normally rides flat areas, might be uncomfortable become fatigued trying to keep the board level on hilly terrain. maybe a landboarder who rides hilly areas can shed light on this.

one thing i have to say is it works wonders taking the high back off where i ride, which is flat frozen lakes, maybe when i go snowkite out west this season, and i'm in hilly areas, the high backs may bother me less, but quite frankly, i think the forward lean and stiffness of my snowboard boot alone are enough that i wouldn't need a high back even then.

basically, if you haven't tried it, don't just assume that it's not the right thing to do. try it and see if it's better for you. you got people like motz, who was all against it, who now prefers no high backs.

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:14 pm

Nice too see you guys enjoying your no highback sessions..

I dont use flows, since I really dont like the feeling but I use my SP Morph bindings with highbacks on a dedicated snowkite board.. I am priviledged enough to being able to snowkite almost every day and I dont see your problems with the highback.

In my opinion Higher level snowkiting demands highbacks.
So, if your a cruiser on a lake with powder no highback may be cool..

But beware.. if you are pop'ing your tricks, save your body - use highbacks with forward lean. (Yeah, a snowkiteboard makes snowkiting much better for longer sessions and widen that stance.. I put mine superwide but thats mainly because my balls are so big! )

Peace

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:54 pm

teklife wrote: you got people like motz, who was all against it, who now prefers no high backs.
I think you may have missed his sarcasm when he wrote that bit about taking his highbacks off.

Glad you like it though.

:D

windlex
Medium Poster

Postby windlex » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:14 pm

another convert here in Winnipeg....finally got around to removing my highbacks and rode for 3 hours in fresh powder this morning....very comfortable...thanks.

Gil...

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for Bindings - DON'T GET FLOWS

Postby The Jess-Man » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:46 am

bump.

tinge
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: vestfjorden
Favorite Beaches: hua hin thailand, best so far.
Style: newbe
Gear: blade beast 10, naish cult 13,5 mystic harness,

Re: Looking for Bindings - DON'T GET FLOWS

Postby tinge » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:27 am

Hey all!
Sorry , but i didnt read the hole thread.
Anyway what i discovered is:
It was the boots that made my legs tired and stiff, not the bindings..
I had some bad ass ,expensive salamon boots. But these started to clamp my cavs when i egded hard.
So i got some cheap boots from the local sporting goods shop .These boots have litlle support on the foot .
This made snowkiteing so much easier..

But i upgraded to flow bindings - its very easy to step into. But they have some cons:
-heavy
-can be a pain to get out of after a big crash in deep snow.
-If you fall and land on your back and get pulled by the kite on some hard snow .The binding will most likely open...

Anyway sorry for the bad grammer , but my first language is not english..
:thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”