Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lib-Tech's Banana and Magnetraction

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lib-Tech's Banana and Magnetraction

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:03 am

Any updates on this? Anyone still using the newer boards? Which ones work for you?

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:32 am

I ride a 165 wide Gnu twintip on snow and ice.
It is really an amazing difference compared to a camber board.

I custom modded a Raven step in binding (Higback parallel to boardedge) and use a medium hard boot from K2.

Perfect setup for me - took me a while to figure it out!

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:27 am

This reminds me to get hold of a used magnetrac board, been meaning to try one for 6 or 7 years now, thanks. I would point out that in my experience you need to climb a shit-ton of evil Rocky windpack, often while holding down an overpowered kite, in order to access the protected hidden fluffy descents and tree stash bits. I would think camber and magne-rails should enable this nicely. Having said that, snowboarding with a kite is eventually going to hack your board up like you won't believe. I don't take anything too nice knowing what is going to happen to it. Forget the days of your finely tuned edges and forgiving combed groomers on your ski hill, mountain snowkiting is more crash car derby or Baja 1000 than Formula 1. I wish I had pics of some of the board destruction, it's horrific. Depends on where you go obviously, a flat frozen lake covered with a foot or two of fresh you can take your nice gear and most anything works, your mowing powder. Get up in the gnarled Rocky wilderness and it becomes more edgy and demanding. That's where those wavey Mervyn Mfg. daggers would come in right handy.

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 pm

I've got the Hammock with Cartels.. completely different animal...It's a super deep pow board and I only used it once last season just to see how it feels. It was a really dry season in Tahoe so i wasn't able to put it to the test , but just on the groomers that i took it , it was a real bitch to ride. Board keeps trying to wash out from under you if there is no powder to scrub on.

I hear its an awesome pow board, but i haven't had enough snow to test it...The problem I am thinking with the Hammock is that it excels in deep pow, but how do you get back to the lift. The guy who designed it had a helicopter waiting for him at the bottom. The minute you hit groomed snow, you will feel really loose and have to kick the back out to make it turn, IT WILL NOT EDGE WHATSOEVER...DO NOT TRY.

I got it coz my other 2 boards ( Vapor and Custom X ) are pure camber boards and suck in deep pow

From other reviews, I Heard that the Jones board ( Flagship or Hovercraft - don't remember) are pretty good too.

FYI: I don't think the Hammock has Magna Traction , I think the next model "Speedodeeps" has it ,

NorthStar
Rare Poster

Postby NorthStar » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 am

Wow! I have been pretty inactive online and have not been on KF or any kite forum in years at least 6 yrs and was surprised to see this post and had recognized it right away.
I had a really bad fall on my skateboard and was not able to kite this past year, no Snowkiting=miserable for me... Stoked to get back at it!
Anywayz... Cool to see this post active snowkiters again!
The Northstar kite crew loved the Banana line and magnatraction!

Good updates on boards guys! it is fun to hear what peeps are still using.

With Mervin leading the tech with snowboards so many manufactures have tru twin tip reverse camber boards in their line ups. If there is a wide in a certain model that is best for Snowkiting no matter what foot sizes you roll.

Windinturupted , I agree the frozen lakes can be choice. But they are not always and if so not for long. Temps, winds, and general impact of lake use get the lake coverage very diverse and can be just as ruff if not more so than mtn altitude locations. And the magne can eat up all of it no matter what they are, it is very choice!

With the way snowboard tech is now' there are so many options and so many that work well for Snowkiting. The main ingredients to your specs of a snowboard for Snowkiting I feel should be make sure it is a True Twin/Wide or MidWide board.

I know my next snowboard for Snowkiting will be the RipsawX 160Wide from Never Summer Industries.

http://neversummer.com/snowboards/mens- ... /ripsaw-x/
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.43 KiB) Viewed 3430 times

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:40 am

My Quiver is a...

-Gnu Park Pickle 158 twin for jibbing, and downwind riding. Also my general resort style riding board

-The original T-Rice split with the bindings set at Twin (even though it has directional flex) for touring and kiting on days with some skinning involved

-Finally the original Twisted snowkite board, that is basically an oversized Banana Hammock for pure powder, or distance snowkiting. It takes off well for gliding too...nice and straight. It's been my favorite go to snowkite board for years...100% not for groomers or any packed or icy surface...unless you have a kite however. Kite makes a big difference on the reverse camber boards in some good ways.

I think Magna Traction or whatever... on Gnu and LibTech really works. I believe I can have a dull edge that still bites into ice. I also think that Mervin boards rocker profiles work so well thanks to Magna Traction.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:40 am

interesting post here!
I snowboard with a Rossignol Magtek MW 168 with traditional camber and pronounced rocker on the nose + Magnetraction which is great, it's like having your edge on a rail track while you bombing down.. super grip on steep and ice too :thumb:
With a kite I have a Nobile NHP snowkite 164 twin and that is super WIDE.. it holds the edge super well and is super stable on straight lines with a sidecut of 20m perfect to snowkite, super pop and not too bad as a snowboard too, although the huge turning radius doesn't help unless you are in open mountain. The only problem is that the board is a tad too heavy and loaded with Flow bindings even more.. when you get stuck in pow it's not funny as the weight kills both your back and sinks your snowshoes :-?
I'm now considering to switch to a splitboard, and I'm looking at the several (always more) options available out there.
The idea is to get a true twin splitboard in a wide size.. and I thought to go for a traditional camber until I've read this post!
I do wonder how the reverse camber banana style rocker would work on a kite and.. on skins to walk!?! :duh:

h11t0n
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Coast Park, Singapore; Trikora Beach + Agro Beach, Bintan;
Favorite Beaches: Adam's Bridge, Mannar, Sri Lanka; Kalipitiya, Sri Lanka;
Style: Freeride
Gear: Stats
=====
Heavy weight 90kg 180cms

Kites
====
F-One Bandit 6 (8m,11m,14m)
Ozone Zephyr 2014 17m

Boards
======
Shinn Monk Midnight Lover (135 × 42)
Shinn Shinnster
Shinn Speedball W18 Gen 1
Nobile Flying Carpet (160 × 46)

Harness
=======
Mystic Code 01
Brand Affiliation: None but willing to sell out to the first person who puts enough money in my hand.......;).

Postby h11t0n » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:05 am

dt73775 wrote:I've got the Hammock with Cartels.. completely different animal...It's a super deep pow board and I only used it once last season just to see how it feels. It was a really dry season in Tahoe so i wasn't able to put it to the test , but just on the groomers that i took it , it was a real bitch to ride. Board keeps trying to wash out from under you if there is no powder to scrub on.

I hear its an awesome pow board, but i haven't had enough snow to test it...The problem I am thinking with the Hammock is that it excels in deep pow, but how do you get back to the lift. The guy who designed it had a helicopter waiting for him at the bottom. The minute you hit groomed snow, you will feel really loose and have to kick the back out to make it turn, IT WILL NOT EDGE WHATSOEVER...DO NOT TRY.

I got it coz my other 2 boards ( Vapor and Custom X ) are pure camber boards and suck in deep pow

From other reviews, I Heard that the Jones board ( Flagship or Hovercraft - don't remember) are pretty good too.

FYI: I don't think the Hammock has Magna Traction , I think the next model "Speedodeeps" has it ,
You can't go wrong with a Jones board for the backcountry built by Nidecker and the quality is exceptional. The Flagship is a superb board. It flies like a rocket in any conditions. Super stable at speed on hardpack or in deep powder. I have the gen one Flagship and when it eventually dies I will be replacing it with the modern version of exactly the same board. The Hovercraft is essentially a Flagship with the tail cut off to me its the snowboarding equivalent of the Shinn Speedball.

However, there is a problem with the Flagship and the Hovercraft when it comes to snow kiting both are true directional boards. You would struggle to ride either switch.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 pm

I'm looking for a twin splitboard in wide size and it seems like they don't exist!
LibTech Travis Rice Spilt seems the only true twin although doesn't come in wide but with quite generous waist at 26.3cm on the 164.5 length, will it work? I need to check with my 11 size Boots!
All Jones awesome splitboards are rigorously directional shapes.. Quite obvious considering what Mr.Jones is in to!! (I'm a big fan of him). He used to do the Mt Twin Split, even wide, that would have been the best bet and jt was even loaded with magne traction.
So no real Twin Wide options for kiters in the solitboard world...

NorthStar
Rare Poster

Postby NorthStar » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:32 am

that is true Mr Moon , does not seem exist.

but very close and you could set your stance so it works for kiting
http://www.dogfunk.com/jones-snowboards ... rd-jsb0014
this one looks wider which is always a plus for snowkiting
http://onboardmag.com/snowboard-gear/sn ... 14.html/17

Return to “Snow / Land”