Favorite Beaches: the lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

creative gorilla marketing

Postby jontan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:18 pm

I am in the Great Lakes region and would love to further promote snow kiteboarding here. PASA certified. I need more ideas...

-Setting up temp banners a mile or so out side our local snowboarding hills, on weekends
-Sticker up the my Outback Subaru.
-going to Rec Centers and leave Family orientated brochures about fun of winter kiting.
-Leave brochures at hotels
-Hanging banners over overpasses, on the weekend for the people that are traveling to the resorts and hunting cabins.
-Mountain bikers are in the same market criteria. How about talking to the shop owners. Get to know there names...
-Go to skate/snowboard lifestyle shops and teach there long term crew for little to no money to kite. And they will naturally share there new found fun to others. Leaving posters and brochures behind so that the calls come to you.

Some sound silly but I just want to explore some 'of the wall' ideas.

Please help.

Jontan

diablo943
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches?! We don't need no stinking beaches.
Style: backcountry
Gear: Best Kites, Ozone kites, Venture board, Black Diamond Skis
Brand Affiliation: Drift Snowkite Magazine is the first product from our company Stratus Media Solutions LLC

Re: creative gorilla marketing

Postby diablo943 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:35 am

How about an ad in Drift Snowkite Magazine or on our website?

I think many of your ideas make sense and should be low cost and have some potential. One of the important things to remember about any marketing or advertising effort is to understand what your target market needs and show how your service helps fill that need.

Please let us know how we can help support your efforts!

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:59 pm

I love it Jontan, you are on the right track... a natural born Snowkite Pimp :thumb:

1. Vehicle stickers are great and everyone you drive by sees them....I have large Ozone Snowkite window stickers I can happily send your way. :D

2. Banner propaganda is a great idea, I have always thought about standing at the bottom of the ski canyons in Salt Lake with a sign promoting kiting. Like the old 'Burma Shave' campaign. (never done it tho, if its windy I go kite.)

3. Print is a great marketing tool, brochures or magazines dropped off at ski shops and ski areas is a great way to spread the influence of kiting to the right people.

4. Online, like this forum or Drift magazine can help expose your backyard to other winter kiting enthusiasts...if you build it they will come... and you may have kiter friends nearby that didn't know you were there.

5. Host a local demo and dedicated Snowkite companies like Ozone will help promote your event/demo day and get the word out about 'Your' local community. We are all one large kite group comprised of little cells of Snowkiters that have each explored their own territories, I like that you are stoked to share yours also. :thumb:

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm

I forgot my favorite local guerrilla marketing strategy... This one was pioneered by Montana's Keith Kailio...

Go to your local magazine shop, like a Barnes & Noble, and have a pocket full of paper flyers that you stick into the mags on the shelf. You can be selective, placing them in sports mags, or randomly spam every mag on the shelf.

The other fun part of this campaign, is you can spread your own message. It might simply say go to mykiteschool.com or you may have a creative message explaining why humans are powerless without kites and the help of the winter god Ullr.

Anyway, this is my favorite and can be very effective. Let them pay for print, and you stick your ad in wherever you want! At least a few messages will get out there.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

diablo943
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Drift Snowkite Magazine is the first product from our company Stratus Media Solutions LLC

Postby diablo943 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm

You sneaky marketer, you! Hehehehe...

Tight lines,
Dave
Drift Snowkite Magazine

SD
Medium Poster

Postby SD » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Also, I notice in the Midwest that a lot of windsurfers crossover to kiting for the winter season. Might be a market you could tap into somehow?

jontan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: somewhere in michigan
Favorite Beaches: the lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: Blade

Postby jontan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 am

Thank you so much you guys. I love the idea of going to book stores!!!! I want snowkiting to be in my every breath I breathe... as long as I breathe it when theres snow on the ground and wind in my face. :thumb:

Drift Magazine I will look into.

Ozone...ha? Very nice. Brian, I will send you an E-amil

...keep'm coming

diablo943
Medium Poster

Postby diablo943 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:38 am

I definitely think that crossovers are the key to the sport. Skiers, snowboarders, kiteboarders, windsurfers and even sailors. Snowkiting has so many aspects that it really can appeal to everyone. It is something that the whole family can do and each enjoy.

Find those people in your community and introduce them to the sport. Maybe you can work out a demo with your local parks and rec department, or a club, or the local college or high school. All things to explore.

Tight lines,
Dave

Publisher
Drift Snowkite Magazine

Return to “Snow / Land”