Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

newbie info to many brands??

Postby seanflex » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 pm

hi guys, i have converted from paraski to snowkiting and i bought my first kite 3 weekago, i bought a concetair
smart 10.5 for i herd alot of the cie here in quebec. they are also maid here.
now i want to buy a smaller kite ( foil ) for me 215lbs for the hight winds, also for my son in low winds.
i spoke to some stores here and they say they are all the best. ozone, hq, best, flexifoil, flysurfer,
the list goes on. new or used it will be a 2007 and up. i looking into getting a good kite not expert
with a depower. feel free to give your advaice. thanks sean. :thumb:

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Re: newbie info to many brands??

Postby Billy B. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Sean,
Sounds like you know what you want, A good kite with depower that isn't a expert kite, that what you said!

Look for saftey features first! If you are hopping to teach a new kiter then that way important!

All Pump up kites that are SLE will allow you to let go of the bar to depower the kite to where it will crash, and then wait for you to relaunch it.

Most foil kites offer a total depower some may need to be triggered with a Saftey they to will then crash and wait for relaunch.

All kites can and may rip, some have bladders some don't, In the winter the general idea is foils are easier to set up and handle by your self.

The school I teach for uses Ozone Access to teach and allow progression with, we offten reccomend the frenzy as the go to kite for kiters who want a blended kite to learn and progress with for years, the manta of course if our big guy super kite.

Good luck with your purchase as a bigger guy you may need a bigger kite then your 10.5 and then a smaller one also.

As al;ways when in doubt talk to your local school, the shop want to sell kites the school want you to be a kiter!

BB

seanflex
Medium Poster

Postby seanflex » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 am

Billy B. wrote:Sean,
Sounds like you know what you want, A good kite with depower that isn't a expert kite, that what you said!

Look for saftey features first! If you are hopping to teach a new kiter then that way important!

All Pump up kites that are SLE will allow you to let go of the bar to depower the kite to where it will crash, and then wait for you to relaunch it.

Most foil kites offer a total depower some may need to be triggered with a Saftey they to will then crash and wait for relaunch.

All kites can and may rip, some have bladders some don't, In the winter the general idea is foils are easier to set up and handle by your self.

The school I teach for uses Ozone Access to teach and allow progression with, we offten reccomend the frenzy as the go to kite for kiters who want a blended kite to learn and progress with for years, the manta of course if our big guy super kite.

Good luck with your purchase as a bigger guy you may need a bigger kite then your 10.5 and then a smaller one also.

As al;ways when in doubt talk to your local school, the shop want to sell kites the school want you to be a kiter!

BB
thanks BB what i ment by depower is that i didnt want a trainer 3 lines, i already have one for over a year.
i do have some experience. i am just getting mixed up with the hype from reps that are tying to sell me there
kites. but i do know there is different aspects in the way they handle. for the my area 10.5 is the bigest we want to go
for here. we have some good winter winds here. i will wait and see what others have to say
about there experiences. thanks sean.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:41 am

Hey seanflex,

Glad to hear your entering the snowkite world. Question is there any demos, dealers, events in your area? As a rookie it should be your responsibility to try as many kites as possible before buying. There are alot to choose from as you can see. The only way to pick the exact kite you are looking for is trying them out.

Your only other option is to pick through other pilots opinions on what kite works for them or manufacturer/dealer hype.

As Billy B stated you may want to look for a kite which is 100% depower with quick and easy relaunch capability. Once you climb out of the trainer sizes and get over 5m most kites are four line with a break away for the front lines, beefed up lines, chicken loop, speed system.

Look at the specs of the models your looking at or try to compare with the current year specs on the kite and go for a lower aspect ratio. They fly slower with less lift. Great for begining and flying in high winds which it sounds like you have.

Do a search on schools and see what they are teaching with. That is a good indication of models to look for if you can't get under a wing before buying.

Research my man is the answer your looking for.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Craz Z nailed it if you can demo gear demo it!

Look for low to mid aspect kites as a begginer.

If you have more ?'s let us know what brands you are looking into and some one here can tell you what they think.

There are just so many great kites out there.

Good luck!

seanflex
Medium Poster

Postby seanflex » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:32 am

Billy B. wrote:Craz Z nailed it if you can demo gear demo it!

If you have more ?'s let us know what brands you are looking into and some one here can tell you what they think.

Good luck!
ok thanks i cant wait untill it snows, i am going to travel some distances this week to get some
kiting done, i am going with an ozone acces xc 6m, i read alot about this user friendly
stable and smooth power. for my son 70 lbs it would give him some good days at 12km plus winds.
thanks for your info.. wishing 4 snow.. :allbegood:

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:38 pm

seanflex wrote:
Billy B. wrote:Craz Z nailed it if you can demo gear demo it!

Good luck!
ok thanks i cant wait untill it snows, i am going to travel some distances this week to get some
kiting done, i am going with an ozone acces xc 6m, i read alot about this user friendly
stable and smooth power. for my son 70 lbs it would give him some good days at 12km plus winds.
thanks for your info.. wishing 4 snow.. :allbegood:
SOunds like a good choice to me!

Have fun be safe!

BB

Return to “Snow / Land”