Forum for snow- and landkiters
sekhmet
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie looking for the right kite

Postby sekhmet » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:39 pm

I've been learning to kite surf this summer on a 12m Ozone Instinct Light XC and I'm looking for a foil kite for the winter. I have a friend who is giving me a pretty good deal on an Ozone Access XC 8m but I'm worried that this might not be enough kite for me. I weigh about 80kg, I'm on skiis and the winds around here will typically be in the 10-25mph range. I've also found some even better deals for a 10m Manta II online but I'm worried that this will be too much kite for me. Mainly because a lot of the reviews I have read say that the kites are for experts. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Dave

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Re: Newbie looking for the right kite

Postby bay surfer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:47 am

If you have that 12m ozone that is a good all around kite use it for winter, get a 7m or 8m foil depowerable, Must name brands will do, 4m kite 3 line race is real good for high wind board and skis in any wind. People laugh at 3m and 4m 3 line kites I've clocked myself at 42mph on a 4m.
One thing I can say is most to all foils need tuning to fly right and to sit on the ground without tangling, so for a beginner you will need to learn how to tune the kite.
Oh ya the access is a dog, not a jumpin or high speed kite.

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:48 pm

There is some good info here, but not all is correct.
One thing I can say is most to all foils need tuning to fly right and to sit on the ground without tangling, so for a beginner you will need to learn how to tune the kite.
That quote makes little sense to me, as I have NEVER Needed to modify or tune a foil to make it fly right. If your kite needs mods to work right, you had better reconsider what brand you are flying... Kiting should be easy and simple not tricky... and there are plenty of easy going kites and brands out there. If anything I would say the opposite, foils sit cleanly on the ground because of their brake control lines, opposed to inflatables that take knowing some tricks to launch and land solo. Basically I am an advanced rider and I don't ever tune any of my kites beyond pulling on the trimmer line for in flight feeling adjustment. (R&D excluded)

What I do agree with is the joy of small kites... my fastest runs have been on the Access 4 and 6 meter kites, as they are rock solid stable in strong or gusty winds, and I have been able to hold them down in some severe weather. In Montana on Georgetown lake in a blizzard I hit 42mph on my snowboard and Access, that's the fastest I've gone on a single stick, and it was a blast whipping around on a small wing.

To answer your question,The 8m would be good for those winds and on skis, while you could also easily hold down a 10m in those conditions. The Manta is advanced, and higher aspect, but like most every Ozone kite, it is extremely stable and user friendly, so you would grow into the Manta quickly. I have found that on skis a 7-8 meter kite is all you need if you are looking to ride everywhere, but not jump as much. You really need a 10-12m kite to get airborne.... or more wind!

If you have a deal on a previous year model, you can't go wrong... if you are looking new, the 2010 Access XT has been redesigned as a performance wing, and it is rivaling the Frenzy in power and agility this year.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Brian yes kites will fly out of the package, but you have never fiddled with the brakes, or adjusted the the loop, I find that hard to believe
Ya I've had to saved OZONE riders before because there kites wont sit pretty, but are flying around upside down, just a small adjustment would have prevented that. Flysurfer kites are great kites, but seem to always go out of tune. All brands need some adjustments.

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:45 am

I'm with Brian on this one.

I've been on Ozones since 2004. I own a bunch of kites from Ozone, Flexifoil and Flysurfer. Only tuning I've had to do on my kites is because of line stretch, and that's Flexifoil lines - not Ozone.

90% of the time I'm on a Manta I 10m (snow) and 06 Instinct 13m (water). Flown the crap out of those two and never had to touch anything. My older Frenzys which I've sold to friends are still going strong without any adjustments.

I know I'll evantually have to do a mixer test and adjustments on my Flysurfer SA II 19m, but that's Flysurfer, which are known for that (miles and miles of bridles).

I think the sitting still thing is kind of different between Frenzy models. The 06 didn't sit that quiet. Gusty winds makes the parking harder. Still a lot easier than dealing with an inflatable.

north idaho kiter
Rare Poster

Postby north idaho kiter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Im not here to jump on one side or the other of this debate but to ask a question regarding it. A time or two that my dad ( a beginner kiter) had his 8m access out on GT lake a little overpowered, he had problems taming itl. I didnt get out last year since I was in Oregon so my memory is a little hazy from the winter before, but I remember it getting into a goofy looping mess one time. And others, it just wouldnt sit down, it kept wanting to reverse launch and then slam back to the ground, saw that a few times. Once again, Im not here blaming the kite, but to ask what would be causing this or some tips on handling the kite. Unfortunately, I havent had much time on this kite, but hopefully will this winter and can try some things. Thanks in advance. Look forward to hopefully seein you guys this winter.

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:24 am

Here is my Manta 10M for sale

http://classified.iwindsurf.com/classif ... =retrieval

Marty

link updated
Last edited by Marty on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:28 am

Just to be clear about this 'kite sitting still' issue (we're really getting off post here).
- I'm not saying I have'nt had this happen. More than once I might add. What I'm saying is that in my experience it's not the kites fault.

Everyone that has tried to back stall a foil kite to bring it to the ground or better yet has reverse launched it from a nose down crash knows that it makes a difference how you pull in the two steering lines. You're effectively steering the kite - only flying backwards. Pull them equally - the kite goes straight (pretty much - kites not really designed for that in mind).

So, be sure that when you stake the kite to the ground that you have exactly the same amound of pull in on both steering lines. (On Ozone foils the red/black parking handle staked dead center). I stake it with my board/skis, ice-axe if there's not much snow.

Your not always going to be parking the kite dead down wind (self launching or landing). So be ready for it to slide a bit on the snow. Likewise, wind shift/change might make it slide around or worse roll over in a snowball.

I've not had my kites relaunch backwards from the ground unless it's really really gusty or shifting directions like crazy. I think unbalanced steering lines being pulled is mostly the cause. That being said I don't take any chances. I don't leave the kite staked for any amount of time. Just to self land or self launch. I always walk up and down the line with my hand on one steering line, ready to grab if the kite wants to relaunch or the anchor breaks. That way being able to totally flagg out the kite if the sh#t hits the fan.

So, if stopping for a coffie-break, throw your backpack or something onto you're parked kite. Don't let it be sliding all over the place - bad for the kite (and other riders :) )

To Sekhmet; in my opinion you're not going to go wrong with any Ozone kite. And no the Manta is not only for experts. At least I own one and am really far from an expert. It's just what you like in a kite. If dedicated snowkite, then I would go for a foil. Easier setup and handling at least for backcountry (who wants to travel with a pump on their back along with an extra kite on XC :o ).

To forum-posters: Don't even dare to open up the inflatable vs. foil worm can. I fly both foils and inflatables. I like more how inflatables fly, but for backcountry it's a no brainer. - So PMU stay out :angryfire:

Turned out to be a bit long, sorry - Geir

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bay surfer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Geir
Since you brought up the Foil vs LEI issue, I have to reply, Large LEIs do turn Faster and relaunch easier than Big foils 12m+, with the exception of some higher performance expensive (AKA FS kites) (Dont know about the Manta). I fly foils up to 10m then LEIs up to 20m, which of all the LEIs My 2005 Rhino 2 is the easiest of my kites to reverse launch, 5th to the lee struts.

One problem with all 3 or four line non depowerable kites the (kill safety) ring attachment need to be adjusted so the kite sits (this is just moving a ring on the 3rd line, or a line on the outside brake lines, Its not a real complex adjustment, Just watch a real old f-one foil setup vid. Adjustment can be made on the kite brake bridle too that is why there is adjustment on all brake Bridles even on OZONE kites go figure why they put those there.

You can almost never go wrong by buying a 3 line non depowerable 4m foil, well worth every penny, perfect high wind board kite, or anywind Ski kite for the flats, Just make sure you have good 500+Lb or 220+Kg lines. Almost any brand will do, Pansh makes some cheap good small foils, depower not needed period.

Next get a 8 or 9m depowerable foil (Name Brand) Stick with only name brands.

Bigger fly with whatever you like. I fly LEI's they dont tangle, but some swear by foils, those people usually fly FS.

Be warns large foils act sometimes Much bigger than stated size, a 10M foil may act and pull like a 15m LEI.

ChugachMan
Rare Poster

Postby ChugachMan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm a total n00b to kite skiing (but have a strong skiing background of15+ years racing on the national/international level), and am looking to get into the sport. I'm going to be traveling with the kite, however, so the lighter the total package, the better. Also, I'm expecting probably 10-25 mph winds at my primary location on average, and am about 175 lbs. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

CM

Return to “Snow / Land”